Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Dec 1, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,112 of 1,768
I personally would rate the CAL! sound quality to be a bit higher. I think the bass is better controlled on the CAL!. The overall signature is relatively similar though, and they both have some signs of slow decay pointing to driver housing resonance. The build quality on the Sony is much much better, comfort is better, and portability also. To be fair to the Sony, I rate CAL! higher than a lot of things in the $200 range, but the poor build and lack of portability is what holds it back greatly.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,113 of 1,768
  I personally would rate the CAL! sound quality to be a bit higher. I think the bass is better controlled on the CAL!. The overall signature is relatively similar though, and they both have some signs of slow decay pointing to driver housing resonance. The build quality on the Sony is much much better, comfort is better, and portability also. To be fair to the Sony, I rate CAL! higher than a lot of things in the $200 range, but the poor build and lack of portability is what holds it back greatly.

I don't know about that better controlled bass claim, man.  The CAL has REALLY high distortion in the sub-bass, you know.

And yeah the build quality of the CAL! is absolute crap, ugh.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,115 of 1,768
Ya, could be. I still find the AAP bass to be on the loose side regardless. I haven't listened to CAL and it side by side, so that observation may be useless. The overall sound I still liked on the CAL though, that much I can say for pretty certain. They're probably kind of comparable.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,116 of 1,768
Turn the volume up on the Sonys and the bass breaks up.

Yeah I've found that the kind of volume levels that make the bass break up are ones that are borderline-painful for me.  I know a lot of people do listen that loudly, but I don't, and I also doubt it is healthy for one's ears in the longterm.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,117 of 1,768
Can I ask to anybody who own / owned both the Z7 and the 100aap to help me in giving your impressions and comparisons of the two?
I'm specifically only looking for three things, 1) "engaging and emotion-inducing female vocals" --which is abstract, 2) sub-bass quality and warm tonal quality, 3) the headphone speed decay

I'm thinking of picking up a Z7 this weekend (or a PM-3), but I'm still not sure and that's why I'm asking for. I figured there are at least 2 or more regulars here who own/owned both of the cans and can help me with my decision. cheers and thank you in advance!

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #1,122 of 1,768
I don't think these are for you if those are your requirements.

Can I ask to anybody who own / owned both the Z7 and the 100aap to help me in giving your impressions and comparisons of the two?
I'm specifically only looking for three things, 1) "engaging and emotion-inducing female vocals" --which is abstract, 2) sub-bass quality and warm tonal quality, 3) the headphone speed decay

I'm thinking of picking up a Z7 this weekend (or a PM-3), but I'm still not sure and that's why I'm asking for. I figured there are at least 2 or more regulars here who own/owned both of the cans and can help me with my decision. cheers and thank you in advance!

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,124 of 1,768
Bass is deeper, more rumble.
Mids are slightly, thicker / darker.
Highs have more clarity less sharp tho.
I would agree with this assessment. I would also add the dynamics of the Z7 are much better than the 100aap as well.

I have also tried the PM3 and while I like it. It is quite a bit brighter than the Z7 and thinner sounding. It also is much tamer in the bass region.

If you going and trying headphones you might also want to try the Nighthawk of you like bass.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,125 of 1,768
 Has anyone had the V55 and then moved to this headphone? Could one kindly compare them especially about sound signature?

I had the V55s before the 100aap! I am no expert but what I can say is:

-Less amount of bass all around but still punchy and satisfying (The V55 are almost like XB headphones in my ears, these are not like that).
-Mids, highs, soundstage etc. all those are improved a lot with the 100aap. 
-V55s output higher volume at the same level/source, so they are more loud from something like a phone, but 100aaps are still just fine to me.
-Construction wise, these are not creaking at all and look nicer imho. I feel like they are not as indestructible as the V55 but still very well built.
-Comfort wise the 100aaps are much better.

tl;dr Unless bass and extreme volume is all you care about these cans are better :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back