Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Oct 11, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #61 of 1,768
I'm using the NWZ-A10 with mine and they pair really well, the 100aap is very efficient and I love the A10 UI ,I wish my fiio x3 had the same alphabet horizontal scroll the Sony does.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #63 of 1,768
So do these essentially  sound like the MDR-1A but with a more neutral signature and the bass-bloat eliminated?

Also is it just me or does the cable seem not quite as nice as the ones that come with the MDR-1A?  If so, can I use the cables from the MDR-1A with these headphones?

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #65 of 1,768
The first two reviews of these from astroid & Stew Tyrrell are very positive.

It looks like these are exactly what I've been waiting for from Sony: a MDR-1A without the (to my ears) overly-boosted bass!

Can't wait til these become available in the U.S.

I just might order them from Amazon.co.uk and get them a little early!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #66 of 1,768
  The first two reviews of these from astroid & Stew Tyrrell are very positive.

It looks like these are exactly what I've been waiting for from Sony: a MDR-1A without the (to my ears) overly-boosted bass!

Can't wait til these become available in the U.S.

I just might order them from Amazon.co.uk and get them a little early!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

What?  Where?  Where can I find the full reviews?  I just went through all five pages of this thread and don't see them anywhere.

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #67 of 1,768
There are 8 reviews now in the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-100AAP-Resolution-Overhead-Headphones/dp/B014R2VSUM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444671270&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+mdr-100aap

Oct 12, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #68 of 1,768
I was recommended these by good ol Inhere, and I'm curious with these.

You did mention that there is some treble, but that it will stop being harsh/sharp after awhile?  Is that normal on a lot of headphones...?  I wonder if the HRM7's would have calmed down at some point too...

Quote:
  I was about to buy the 1A and stopped as I saw these, but as a treble sensitive guy (had to return the X2) I think these cans are not for me.. still the design is awesome

I'm definitely sensitive to highs/treble as well.  You didn;'t like the Philips Fidelio x2?  That was a recommendation from someone as well.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #69 of 1,768

I'm definitely sensitive to highs/treble as well.  You didn;'t like the Philips Fidelio x2?  That was a recommendation from someone as well.

I liked it, and I didn't find it "bright", in fact it is a warm can. But it has some weird treble spike, I kind of found it "hollow", like there was always a peak of too much treble that didn't add details to the music. Anyway, after 10/15 minutes, no matter the volume, my ears would hurt and I would hear ringing. It happened to me with other cans (Urbanite XL, for example). I now am basically forced on sticking with "basshead" cans, Sony XB500, or the on-ear Urbanite, or CAL!. They are very smooth. I had my hearing tested one year ago, I got a perfectly flat response to all frequencies and can hear anything above 5/10dB. But I have the "reflex" in one ear slower than the other, so my right ear is less able to react to loud noises, I don't know if that is my problem. Anyway I think I may be more sensitive than you. There is really nothing to do other than buy a pair and try, demoing units in the stores alas isn't enough...

About burn-in.. I don't take position, but personally I am not a believer. Any of the 5-6 pair of cans and 4-5 IEMs I tried always sounded pretty much the same as I heard them the first time. For sure my brain had to adjust. I was very underwhelmed by X2's bass, but because I was used to my XB500. I then learned to appreciate them (before returning them after 3 weeks). My ears always hurt by the way, so they did not smooth up.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #70 of 1,768

I liked it, and I didn't find it "bright", in fact it is a warm can. But it has some weird treble spike, I kind of found it "hollow", like there was always a peak of too much treble that didn't add details to the music. Anyway, after 10/15 minutes, no matter the volume, my ears would hurt and I would hear ringing. It happened to me with other cans (Urbanite XL, for example). I now am basically forced on sticking with "basshead" cans, Sony XB500, or the on-ear Urbanite, or CAL!. They are very smooth. I had my hearing tested one year ago, I got a perfectly flat response to all frequencies and can hear anything above 5/10dB. But I have the "reflex" in one ear slower than the other, so my right ear is less able to react to loud noises, I don't know if that is my problem. Anyway I think I may be more sensitive than you. There is really nothing to do other than buy a pair and try, demoing units in the stores alas isn't enough...

About burn-in.. I don't take position, but personally I am not a believer. Any of the 5-6 pair of cans and 4-5 IEMs I tried always sounded pretty much the same as I heard them the first time. For sure my brain had to adjust. I was very underwhelmed by X2's bass, but because I was used to my XB500. I then learned to appreciate them (before returning them after 3 weeks). My ears always hurt by the way, so they did not smooth up.

Thanks for the ijnfo...  So I guess these aren't really the HPs I want if there is "treble spikes..."

The thing with me is, I've always had amazing hearing, and I can hear very high frequencies.  Our physics teacher had a program that would create frequnecies and I got up there very high.  I think the number was 20-22, not sure what, maybe db?  Granted that was back in HS, almost 8 years ago, but I still think my hearing is doing well lol :).

I don't like super bassy, but I like a nice clean bass.  I'llhave to look into the definition of warmth, but I feel it's opposite of what the music I listen to is.  From the name it seems like it's supposed to be "mellow" "laid back" type of sound...?

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #71 of 1,768

Thanks for the ijnfo...  So I guess these aren't really the HPs I want if there is "treble spikes..."

The thing with me is, I've always had amazing hearing, and I can hear very high frequencies.  Our physics teacher had a program that would create frequnecies and I got up there very high.  I think the number was 20-22, not sure what, maybe db?  Granted that was back in HS, almost 8 years ago, but I still think my hearing is doing well lol :).

I don't like super bassy, but I like a nice clean bass.  I'llhave to look into the definition of warmth, but I feel it's opposite of what the music I listen to is.  From the name it seems like it's supposed to be "mellow" "laid back" type of sound...?

Thanks.

Well I don't want to go off topic too much, but Tyll's review of the X2 on innerfidelity also pointed out grainy treble, that sometimes can become too hot. It was the case also with the Urbanite XL, despite having the same driver of the on-ear.

Our "problem" isn't about hearing, that is perfectly fine. In fact I think it is true the contrary, as people get older they usually lose hearing of higher frequencies, and so they might like brighter cans to hear some frequencies back. But now (I'm 36) we just are more "sensitive" to some frequencies, due to the shape of our ear canals or whatever. We don't hear them louder, they just hurt us.

Warm is a pair of cans where the bass is slightly elevated, they don't sound thin, but full and mellow. Treble can be a bit laid back. Then you can go full basshead, with a dark and cavernous sound (like my XB500, or some Beats), or go bright, with bass that doesn't impact that much but with elevated treble. X2 are supposed to be "natural", with slightly elevated bass. Sony 1A are supposedly darker, but not too much. These Sony mdr-100aap, as far these first description goes, sound like the X2, balanced with a little added bass. Perfect for anyone and for an all arounder sound. For us treble sensitive.. I don't know, I fear they might hurt. I hope to be able to try them in a store soon, albeit briefly.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #72 of 1,768

Well I don't want to go off topic too much, but Tyll's review of the X2 on innerfidelity also pointed out grainy treble, that sometimes can become too hot. It was the case also with the Urbanite XL, despite having the same driver of the on-ear.

Our "problem" isn't about hearing, that is perfectly fine. In fact I think it is true the contrary, as people get older they usually lose hearing of higher frequencies, and so they might like brighter cans to hear some frequencies back. But now (I'm 36) we just are more "sensitive" to some frequencies, due to the shape of our ear canals or whatever. We don't hear them louder, they just hurt us.

Warm is a pair of cans where the bass is slightly elevated, they don't sound thin, but full and mellow. Treble can be a bit laid back. Then you can go full basshead, with a dark and cavernous sound (like my XB500, or some Beats), or go bright, with bass that doesn't impact that much but with elevated treble. X2 are supposed to be "natural", with slightly elevated bass. Sony 1A are supposedly darker, but not too much. These Sony mdr-100aap, as far these first description goes, sound like the X2, balanced with a little added bass. Perfect for anyone and for an all arounder sound. For us treble sensitive.. I don't know, I fear they might hurt. I hope to be able to try them in a store soon, albeit briefly.

Thanks for the info.  I heard similar issues with the X2 and higher treble.  Warm sounds interesting, so maybe I'll check that out, but not sure how it will work well with my songs.

As for trying out these in store, what stores would I be able to try them out at?

Thanks for the help!

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #73 of 1,768

Thanks for the info.  I heard similar issues with the X2 and higher treble.  Warm sounds interesting, so maybe I'll check that out, but not sure how it will work well with my songs.

As for trying out these in store, what stores would I be able to try them out at?

Thanks for the help!

Are you from Europe? I find most of them on local chains, like Media Market, I don't know where you are located. In western countries it is generally harder to find higher end gear, a part for a few selected stores alas..

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #74 of 1,768

Are you from Europe? I find most of them on local chains, like Media Market, I don't know where you are located. In western countries it is generally harder to find higher end gear, a part for a few selected stores alas..

I'm from the USA.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #75 of 1,768
In terms of style these seem to be part of a refreshingly minimalist new wave of (IMO) stylish portable headphones. A really nice alternative to all the flashy bling of the last few years. 

Other examples include B&O H2, Kef M400 and the soon to be released Jays u-Jays.

Companies such as Sennheiser are on a slightly (edit) different track altogether with their Urbanites !.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back