Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #4,247 of 4,748
Hello! Long time lurker, first time head-fi poster here :)

Just want to share my recent experience with the EX1000, which I've owned for about 6 months now. I really love the detail, instrument separation and soundstage of these IEM's, but like other members have experienced, I too have struggled with the piercing/peaky highs with all my previous sources.

However I recently got the Fiio Q5S and using the stock AM3E amp module with the hardware bass boost on, it has tamed the sharp highs and brought an overall warmth to the sound signature, and they now sound (almost) perfect to my ears. To me they now sound similar to the EX800ST's but with the added detail of the EX1000's. I suppose this can be achieved simply with an EQ, but because I do most of my listening on the go through streaming (TIDAL Hi-Fi) from an iPhone, I find this the easiest option.

I also have the AM3D THX amp module, but unfortunately the EX1000's again sound too bright for me using that amp. It's a shame because my other IEM's sound fantastic out of the AM3D.
What app do you use to EQ on an Iphone?

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #4,248 of 4,748
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #4,250 of 4,748
So I have had the IER Z1R for a little over a month now and yesterday I switched over to the EX1000 again.
For anyone considering the upgrade I do want to mention one thing.. The IER Z1R are nowhere near as FUN to listen to as the EX1K.
Of course the sound quality / soundstage is way way better on the IER but with the EX1K I always find myself smiling at least once on every single track I listen to.

I have thrown some insanely heavy bass tracks at the IER and every single time they scale the bass back, bring everything else forward creating a perfect balanced sound.
This is a good thing of course but sometimes I do find them to be a little too polite^^

The IER will be my main IEM going forward so I`m not criticizing them in any way. it`s just an observation. I still love the EX1000 as much as I always have :)

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #4,251 of 4,748
@kms108

I've been using the kimber kable for awhile and I get why you don't like the kimber kable now but it's not all that bad tbh. On certain songs it loses the lifelike treble detail on the stock cable and the softer highs actually helps with other songs which tends to sound abit too sharp. On one hand you lose the defining characterics of the iem and on the other, the more laidback nature presents a different listening experience that's beneficial in some instances instead of having to buy another iem.

For me, im in love warm sound signatures and though using the ex1k might sound counter-intuitive and i can already hear someone saying why not just get the ex800st, there's just something about those iems on certain songs that you just can't forget about.

On that note, i really dont like how it feels in the hand, but that's not the main reason why i would change cables in the first place.

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #4,252 of 4,748
@kms108

I've been using the kimber kable for awhile and I get why you don't like the kimber kable now but it's not all that bad tbh. On certain songs it loses the lifelike treble detail on the stock cable and the softer highs actually helps with other songs which tends to sound abit too sharp. On one hand you lose the defining characterics of the iem and on the other, the more laidback nature presents a different listening experience that's beneficial in some instances instead of having to buy another iem.

For me, im in love warm sound signatures and though using the ex1k might sound counter-intuitive and i can already hear someone saying why not just get the ex800st, there's just something about those iems on certain songs that you just can't forget about.

On that note, i really dont like how it feels in the hand, but that's not the main reason why i would change cables in the first place.

In case anyone wants to trade, I would be willing to give up my MDR 7550/ex800st for a ex1k. :ksc75smile:
(Plus some cash of course:)

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #4,253 of 4,748
In case anyone wants to trade, I would be willing to give up my MDR 7550/ex800st for a ex1k. :ksc75smile:
(Plus some cash of course:)

Funny story, i would've been using the ex800st today and be pretty happy about it had the ebay seller not screwed up and i somehow found myself winning a bidding war for the ex1k the next moment. It only came with the 0.6m cable which isn't really that practical irl so that's when i decided to get the kimber i found for cheap as the long cable and do the comparison.

In short, they are staying with me for good but thanks for the offer anyways :L3000:

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #4,254 of 4,748
Every time I listen to my EX1000, which is several hours a day, I want to buy another spare pair

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #4,255 of 4,748
IMG_20190908_120506-01.jpeg
Just found some time to do a little comparison between ZX300 + Oriolus BA300S and ALO CDM with my EX100 + Forza hybrid 4.4. EX1000 sounds great with both, but I came to conclusion that Oriolus is a better amp for them. Better and a litter fuller low end (remind me of WM1A), fuller soundstage, and better depth than CDM. I don't have to tell You that it rises ZX300 to another level overall.

Sep 14, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #4,256 of 4,748
I received my Null Audio Lune MKV with a 4.4mm connector but they wired the right channel out of phase! First, while casually listening, something didn't sound right, then I found a good online test to confirm it (https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php) and finally confirmed it with my multimeter.

BTW, it's very inconvenient that Null Audio doesn't mark the left and right cables! It requires a bit of trial & error.

To double-check polarity with my multimeter, I compared it to the stock 3.5mm cable (and checked this many many many times):

3.5mm Cable:
Tip -> Left Cable / Left Terminal (L+)
Ring -> Right Cable / Left Terminal (R+)
Sleeve -> Both Cables / Right Terminal (L- & R-)

4.4mm Cable:
Tip -> Left Cable / Left Terminal (L+)
Ring 1 -> Left Cable / Right Terminal (L-)
Ring 2 -> Right Cable / Right Terminal (R-) - should be (R+)!
Ring 3 -> Right Cable / Left Terminal (R+) - should be (R-)!
Sleeve -> Not Used

Anyone else that has a Null Audio 4.4mm cable, can you check to see if the right channel is out of phase?

I'm hoping Null Audio has decent customer service, or this is going to be a big hassle.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #4,257 of 4,748
I received a response from Null Audio. They sent me a picture of how they wire their EX1000 connectors (see below), but I've checked three stock cables and their wiring is wrong; the right side should be swapped in polarity.

For anyone who purchased a cable from them, I'd seriously check the wiring, and also listen to the polarity test I linked to above. If this picture indeed depicts the wiring they've been using, then they've been wiring the right channel out of phase, regardless of if it's a 4.4mm or 3.5mm connector.

Sony MDR EX1000.jpg

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #4,258 of 4,748
I received a response from Null Audio. They sent me a picture of how they wire their EX1000 connectors (see below), but I've checked three stock cables and their wiring is wrong; the right side should be swapped in polarity.

For anyone who purchased a cable from them, I'd seriously check the wiring, and also listen to the polarity test I linked to above. If this picture indeed depicts the wiring they've been using, then they've been wiring the right channel out of phase, regardless of if it's a 4.4mm or 3.5mm connector.

What did you notice on the sound? I bought a Arete cable, 4.4, two months ago and I didn't advertise anything wrong. How could I make this test if my cable is 4.4mm?

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #4,259 of 4,748

I reterminated the short cable into a 2.5mm and a kimber with exk connectors and I'm meeting my cable guy tomorrow so I'll post my findings soon just for comparison.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #4,260 of 4,748
What did you notice on the sound? I bought a Arete cable, 4.4, two months ago and I didn't advertise anything wrong. How could I make this test if my cable is 4.4mm?

You need a multimeter to check it 100%, but a listening test is a good place to start. For example, using the site https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php:

1. Use the stock cable and listen to the in and out of phase recordings a few times, noting the differences you hear. With the guitar for example, note the stereo imaging of the guitar; it should be focused in the center when in phase, while out of phase sounds spread further apart without a clear location.
2. Switch to the Null Audio cable and repeat the tests. Do the in phase recordings still sound in phase, or is it now the opposite?

You could do the same test (comparing stock to Null Audio) with various recordings, though preferably one with a very good stereo image. When out of phase, the stereo imaging becomes very diffuse.

There's not a doubt in my mind that Null Audio's wiring diagram is wrong; I've been using a multimeter 35 years (and testing continuity is the simplest thing), I studied electrical engineering for 2 years before switching to comp sci, I've been building guitar pedals and amps for years, have and use various electronics test gear, etc. Testing the polarity of a cable is very simple - and I repeatedly measured the Null Audio cable and stock cable wiring this weekend, and again last night repeatedly measured the stock cable to compare to the image - using the EX1000, EX600, and EX800 cables.

Let us know your results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back