Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Oct 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #2,311 of 4,748

Quote:
Quote:
You aren't alone. *zips up JVC suit* 
wink.gif

You bought them again? Or did you ever sell yours? I'm loving the FX700s, they grow on me the more I use them.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #2,312 of 4,748

The FX700s would be better all rounders than the EX1000s. The EX1000s are more tailored to romantic and soothing music and not that great for rock IMO. They are ok but not great at it. The JVCs are very durable and I wouldn't worry about it but they are very nice looking so of course you would want to try take care of them. I tend to be lazy though and put them in my pocket without the case. IE8s have way emphasized midbass while sonys are very lean and tight sounding. I personally found the Sonys lacking in bass quantity but its quality is top notch. The FX700 would be the better bet if you want more quantity while still keeping quality. I'm just really curious about the new IE80. I would be in audio heaven if they solved the bass bloat and got rid of the veil like I've heard from a certain headfier on the IE8s appreciation thread (need to confirm this with multiple headfiers before I upgrade).
Quote:
hello just need your advice guys..

i've narrowed my choice between the ex1000 and fx700s..

when it comes to durability, are the sonys more durable? since the jvcs are made of wood?

which would be the better rounder of the two?

these are my genres

r&b,hiphop/country > metal/rock > classical/pop

if ever, would the ex1000s satisfy me on its sub-bass and mid-bass? i'm not really a basshead but i do like the bass from the 535s and especially the coppers and kinda enough for me.. do they have more quantity than the 535s? or the same as coppers?

i like the mid bass especially for country songs (eagles, taylor swift, MLTR) ... how would you compare the mid-bass pf the sonys to the senn ie8s (minimum setting)

really looking forward to your help guys i'm about to pull the trigger on these just need more justification to it
thanks
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #2,313 of 4,748

Quote:
The IE8's are much more awash with mid-bass, whereas the EX1000's present the low end much cleaner. Two different beasts in bass entirely.

oh thanks but a little more elaboration would help
rolleyes.gif

so you think there is still some warmth on the sonys for country songs?
how do they differ in terms of quantity/quality with the coppers? i find the bass of the coppers best and neutral and extends deep if needed..

a little more and i'm done

thanks

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,314 of 4,748

Quote:
The FX700s would be better all rounders than the EX1000s. The EX1000s are more tailored to romantic and soothing music and not that great for rock IMO. They are ok but not great at it. The JVCs are very durable and I wouldn't worry about it but they are very nice looking so of course you would want to try take care of them. I tend to be lazy though and put them in my pocket without the case.

but the jvcs are made for acoustics right? since joker mentioned on his review that the bass of the fx700s are like the bass of the ie8 with maxed bass setting i think will be very too much for me..

so the ex1000s won't do very well with Blind Guardian and Dream theater and much more suited for the fx700s?

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,315 of 4,748

Quote:
oh thanks but a little more elaboration would help
rolleyes.gif

so you think there is still some warmth on the sonys for country songs?
how do they differ in terms of quantity/quality with the coppers? i find the bass of the coppers best and neutral and extends deep if needed..

a little more and i'm done

thanks

Sonys aren't warm IMO. They sonys lean towards the bright treble happy side, in no way warm.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2,316 of 4,748
alright thanks i'm gonna have to think about it

i'm really bugged with the sonys like my heart says get them ...

i'm not really into the warm side i just need some of it like a less more of the ie8s (minimum setting)

but uhmm i'll just sell them if ever i don't like it but ii hope i would be very happy and satisfied with it..

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #2,317 of 4,748

Quote:
alright thanks i'm gonna have to think about it

i'm really bugged with the sonys like my heart says get them ...

i'm not really into the warm side i just need some of it like a less more of the ie8s (minimum setting)

but uhmm i'll just sell them if ever i don't like it but ii hope i would be very happy and satisfied with it..

Good luck I hope you like them. They are actually cheaper than the FX700s now. Not sure why the FX700s have gone up in price but I didn't pay a premium for mine :wink:.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2,318 of 4,748

If I listened to country music I'd probably lean towards the JVC's.

The Sony's are pretty neutral.

It's not warm sounding, but personally I'd consider Shure SRH-940 as well, due to the way it does vocals and acoustic guitar and so on.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2,319 of 4,748

Quote:

It's not warm sounding, but personally I'd consider Shure SRH-940 as well, due to the way it does vocals and acoustic guitar and so on.

Did you ever listen to the JVC's Kiteki? They are amazingly good sounding. Then again its not everyone's cups of tea :wink:. I don't consider them aggressive at all really. They are upfront but the treble is very smooth.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2,320 of 4,748
Quote:
hello just need your advice guys..

i've narrowed my choice between the ex1000 and fx700s..

when it comes to durability, are the sonys more durable? since the jvcs are made of wood?

The current FX700's I own were purchased second hand, and are over a year old, and they are in absolute perfect condition. According to the original seller, they've been put to HEAVY use in the time s/he owned them. I can't personally offer much feedback with regards to the EX1000's build, since I didn't own mine nearly long enough (~2 months, until I opted for the less expensive alternative, the EX600 
wink.gif
). However, aside from the letters fading and potential paint chipping, I'd say the overall build quality of the EX1000 is NOT much of an issue. Nevertheless, I'd rather someone here who's owned them long enough provide their insight, as I'd hate to mislead anyone by even the slightest.

which would be the better rounder of the two?

these are my genres

r&b,hiphop/country > metal/rock > classical/pop

Quite honestly, in my honest opinion, either one is equally as competent as an all rounder. I've heard a very wide assortment of genres and tracks with either one, and have never felt one lacking for a specific genre. In that regard, the FX700's surprised me more or less, considering how prominent both their highs and lows are. All the while, they offer a very naturally pleasing sound.

if ever, would the ex1000s satisfy me on its sub-bass and mid-bass? i'm not really a basshead but i do like the bass from the 535s and especially the coppers and kinda enough for me.. do they have more quantity than the 535s? or the same as coppers?

If you're leaning towards bass similar to that of the 535's, you may find the FX700's bass a tad too overwhelming. However, I assure you, as monstrous as the FX700's bass may be, it's all the while very well controlled in my opinion, and while the FX700 does boast more midbass as compared to the EX1000, either one is completely free from any appreciable midrange bleed. In fact, I was initially under the misconception that the FX700's bass was overshadowing the mids, but with the right tips, you'd be quite surprised to find just how natural the mids sound. While I no longer have the Coppers on hand, I'd say the EX1000 gains the edge over both the Coppers and SE535, in that I personally find the lows to offer a much better blend of quality and quantity.

i like the mid bass especially for country songs (eagles, taylor swift, MLTR) ... how would you compare the mid-bass pf the sonys to the senn ie8s (minimum setting)

The IE8's, which I currently have on hand, have much heavier midbass presence than does the EX1000 (even at the lowest setting), and not to it's advantage either in my opinion. I'm not a fan of emphasized midbass, as it can begin to sound bloated and muddy at times, especially when it begins to intrude on the midrange. As mentioned however, either one of the two (EX1000 & FX700) are free from said midbass hump.

really looking forward to your help guys i'm about to pull the trigger on these just need more justification to it
thanks
ksc75smile.gif

I'm a HUGE fan of both the FX700 and EX1000, and they're both exceptional in-ears in every sense of the word. I must admit, the one area the FX700's is second to NONE is in terms of it's exceptional timbre, even in comparison to the EX1000, which of course is no slouch in it's own right. Nevertheless, even if it be by a small margin, the FX700 reigns supreme in that regard. Words can't express what I mean. You really have to hear them for yourself to know what they're truly capable of. However, based off of SQ alone, I'd say my preference falls on the EX1000, but only by a hair or two. As an overall package, I've chosen to live with the FX700, especially considering their lows pack a serious, albeit very controlled punch, as though there's a built in Zo hiding in there somewhere. 
tongue.gif
 All the best my friend!

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #2,321 of 4,748
Quote:

Agreed. The JVC's are comparatively warmer sounding than the EX1000, which are much closer to neutral than not in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #2,322 of 4,748

Quote:
Did you ever listen to the JVC's Kiteki? They are amazingly good sounding. Then again its not everyone's cups of tea :wink:.

No I haven't heard the FX700's, my first IEM's before I joined head-fi were going to be the FX500's, then I bought the Sony EX-Q1 instead, then I sent the EX-Q1's back since they were fakes, and signed up on head-fi, I could have stopped and been happy when I had the CK10 and EX700, I really haven't advanced anywhere since then tbh, apart from replacing STAX and A2000X with the Tesla, and discovering the JVC FXC51.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #2,323 of 4,748
Oct 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #2,324 of 4,748
Er, that's not saying very much. Polyethylene terephthalate is just PET (yes, that stuff used to make your Coke bottles), which can be formed into mylar through extreme extrusion of its liquid form. Thus, Sony is telling us the diaphragm is good ol' mylar. Specifically, mylar is BoPET, or biaxially-oriented, meaning that the aromatic (benzene) ring is carboxylated at the 1,4 (para orientation) carbons.

What Sony labels 'liquid crystal polymer' (most likely the commercially marketed Vectran) is a different polymer formulation from PET; normally, PET, depending on where the carboxylation occurs on the benzene ring, is amorphous or at most semi-crystalline in the liquid form. Mylar (BoPET) is only semi-crystalline, meaning that it doesn't have a completely regular crystal structure whether in the liquid or sold phase, and thus there will still be kinks in its structure.

However, liquid crystal polymers are highly regular in a liquid form and its crystalline structure allows for much better control over the extrusion process, making for a much more homogenous density diaphragm with superior tensile properties. This is not unlike the use of biocellulose for diaphragms; LCP allows for high synthetic control over its thickness and regularity in the laboratory, while biocellulose is layered by microbes constrained in a structural matrix. The two will both confer superior better structural strength over non-/semi-crystalline polymers.

Quote:

Okay so it seems like the diaphragm material in the MDR-7510 is Polyethylene Terephthalate, I can only guess that's what's used in the EX700, EX600 and EX800ST.

The MDR-7520 is Liquid Crystal Polymer.

Edit: scroll to the last page http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServices/RetrievePublicAsset/StepID/SEL-asset-248342/original/mdr7500_headphoneseriesbrochure_a1149b.pdf

stuff here too: www.sony.com/proaudio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back