Sony Eggo MDR-D77 spares, earpads and cases
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 21
I have 55's that are in need of fixing.  I would really love to upgrade to 77's but just haven't been able to find any for sale lately.  Even a pair of 77's that need repair (but good drivers) would be great to find.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 21
I have 55's as well. They are almost identical to '77s but lack the ultimate  level of bass extension. All these bits I mentioned at the top will fit '55s equally well. They are equally brilliant and I think they actually sound better with analogue sources like classic cassette walkman DDs which have a lot more bass anyway and much beafier amps than modern iPod type digital portables. I always wondered about '66s but never heard them

Not sure about this whole business of transplanting the drivers to other cases either. The whole design is compromised surely. There is more to the headphones than the drivers.

Moreover these are a design classic that belong in museum. You don't butcher Sennheiser 414s for the drivers as the drivers aren't the last word by modern standards anyway no more than a vintage Jaguar is comparable to a modern sports car. Maybe they were not the first folding cups into headband, I think that was Yamaha in the '80s, but they are an iconic design and I love the compactness of folding the cups like this. The only thing they lack for me compared to modern 'street' headphones is a microphone to use on an iPhone. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #20 of 21
You make a good point about the modifications, guess it's all about resources and sentimentality.  I have replaced the cord to my 55's a couple times and it has gone again.  They are in pretty decent shape considering I bought them 20 years ago from a Sony store.  One of the headband wires broke so when I replace the cord I'd like to replace that as well.  It's a bit difficult to find replacement parts like that so i was hoping spirolondon or someone else might be interested in selling parts or 77's needing repair so I can Frankenstein something decent together.  It would be nice to hear the 77 drivers too.  I've never actually seen a pair in person and have always wanted some..  I have also wondered about the 66's but I've heard they were a re-branding of the 55's.  The 77's have always held my interests just because I want to see what they sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back