Sony DR-Z6 (Vintage)
Feb 14, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #211 of 234
  Apologies for reviving an old thread.

Just curious... how would the Z6 hold up against more modern on-ear cans such as the V-Moda XS or the Sennheiser HD25/Amperior/etc. (their model lineup still confuses me)?  I jumped almost immediately to vintage cans after getting into hi fi and thus have no idea on what i'm missing out on.  Where does the Z6 stand in the grander scheme of things?

While we're at it, I recently got a decent DAP (Cayin N5) in a trade and was thinking of either getting a more modern can (V-Moda XS) or sticking with the Z6 as a "transportable" rig (my first). Any thoughts?  I would probably have the plug on the Z6 reterminated though, which I would rather leave stock. Would changing the plug affect the value in any way?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Compared to modern stuff it does fall short especially in it's overall frequency response. 
Bass and treble rolls off a bit early and you don't get a 'full bodied' kind of sound. This doesn't mean it has poor tonality, but does leave it sounding thinner and analytical in the midrange. 
There are areas it excels, perhaps even moreso than modern headphones like transient response and decay, but often these values are overlooked since frequency response and tonality are usually what people hear first.

Irreversibly modifying any rare vintage headphone will negatively affect it's resale value.
Changing the plug would lower its face value, but if you could skillfully put the old plug back on at a later date without causing any damage, there is little argument for depreciation. 
Especially since this line of Sonys is slightly infamous for dying cables. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #212 of 234
Actually, the DR-Z6 is extremely bassy. Mine is at least. The only real problem with the Z6 tonally speaking is a slight 2kHz bump and a complete and total lack of treble.

Here's a quick set of FR plots for the three:

Z5:

Z6:

Z7:

Of these, the Z5 has the best FR, with only a slight 2kHz bump and a suckout in the mid treble. The Z6 tries to bring the 2kHz bump down a bit so it's more in line with the bass, but the lack of upper treble made me slowly despise them more and more over time. The Z7 is my favorite by far due to being much cleaner and more resolving than either of the other two, but it has a broad 10dB emphasis of the upper mids and lower treble that makes it rather inaccurate sounding. 

BTW, these are not meant for portable use and they are extremely fragile, so I don't recommend taking them outside or transporting them unless absolutely 100% necessary.

BTW #2: the quality control on these headphones is absolutely ******* ridiculous. I almost never see channel matching like that on new headphones, let alone something nearly 40 years old. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #213 of 234
  Actually, the DR-Z6 is extremely bassy. Mine is at least. 

No, you're just a massive treble-head... I thought this was already established? 
I think you need the custom title: Trebleheadius Supremus.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #214 of 234
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I figured it couldn't compete with its more modern counterparts. Duly noted on the possibility of degrading its value with any sort of modification.  I guess I'll have to find another set for my transportable rig.

I too agree that these are fragile.  To be honest, they spend most of their time in storage.  Favor my other cans more.  I'm not technically inclined but my set has plenty of treble to my ears.  It's just that they sound a bit more "rounded off" compared to my only modern set (Grado 325is).  Don't know if this is relevant but they seem to sound a lot better with music from the same era.  I now find myself listening to older stuff more ever since I got into vintage cans.  Psychological perhaps?

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #215 of 234
   Don't know if this is relevant but they seem to sound a lot better with music from the same era.  I now find myself listening to older stuff more ever since I got into vintage cans.  Psychological perhaps?

It's all subjective really, but the closer you get to listening it to how it was recorded and mastered might have something to do with it.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #216 of 234

No, you're just a massive treble-head... I thought this was already established? 

The FR plots don't seem to agree with you... also, you don't actually have a Z6, you bugger. 
tongue.gif

BTW #3: I have seen a DR-Z5 with different drivers than the one I posted earlier, the magnet housing was a different color and it had no bass whatsoever:

Maybe this is closer to what you hear from the WEGAs?

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #217 of 234

The FR plots don't seem to agree with you... also, you don't actually have a Z6, you bugger. 
tongue.gif

BTW #3: I have seen a DR-Z5 with different drivers than the one I posted earlier, the magnet housing was a different color and it had no bass whatsoever:

Maybe this is closer to what you hear from the WEGAs?

The Wegas definitely have bass and Z6 palladium drivers, but 'neutral' flat-line bass still sounds somewhat thin to my ears.
From what I've discovered about myself, I'm quite a fan of the Harman Target Curve, and that sounds the most natural to my ears. 
I don't think I'm a basshead, but I do need it quite elevated for me to enjoy what appears to me to be a 'balanced sound'.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #218 of 234
I could see the Z6 being called neutral to a point, kinda, but the lack of any meaningful response above 4kHz really makes them sound dark. The bass isn't exactly clean either, pretty thick sounding due to high distortion.That being said I do recall them sounding somewhat dark-bright and unpleasant due to the 2kHz bump when trying to turn them up while jamming out. *shrug*

I strongly dislike the harman target personally so that explains that I guess. Never heard a headphone that follows that curve sound right...

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #219 of 234
  It's all subjective really, but the closer you get to listening it to how it was recorded and mastered might have something to do with it.

Yeah, or maybe the music was just better back then. haha!  Anyway, thanks for all the help!

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #220 of 234
Z6 does have nice bass and decay. I second takato take away from the Z6 and z7 as well. The emphasis on 10db ultimately had me favor the Z6 as they came off as being more musical to my ears, though I could still appreciate the z7 for its technnical proficiencies

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #221 of 234
Im gonna be posting my z6 for sale. There in great condition for how old they are, i dont use them nearly enough and want to upgrade to another DD iem. Will be asking 200. Classified to follow soonish.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #222 of 234
Hey guys, this is about the only continued thread with information on the z6/z7. I was wondering if anyone has since unearthed anything? i have a pair of z7's coming to me today and was just wondering about them. Also wondering what their asking price would be in 2019. any help would be great, really enjoyed the posts about the headphones.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #223 of 234
For those who were wondering, here's all the additional information I've gleaned about these headphones over the years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My previous comment about this headphone line's quality control is only partly correct. The per-unit matching is usually good, but the unit-to-unit variance of these drivers is obscenely high. To date, I have owned 10 of these headphones -- 4 DR-Z5s, 3 DR-Z6s and 3 DR-Z7s -- and measured 11 of them. Not a single pair of them had anywhere close to the same response at the driver's primary acoustic resonance, which is approximately 2kHz. Here's an overlay graph of one channel of each unit, with the two fabric-earpad DR-Z7s omitted, matched at 500Hz:

DRZVARIABLE.png

As much as +/-6dB of variance within the audible frequency band. With the exact same earpad. In the exact same position. On the exact same amplifier and measurement coupler. Here's the two fabric-pad DR-Z7 units overlaid with each other for good measure:

DRZ7VARIABLE.png

The enitre response above 500Hz is completely different! One pair ski jumps into 3.5kHz like an AIR series AT while the other one gives us a big fat hump of upper midrange and tanks the treble. Big oof.

DRZ5EUF.png

The best result I've seen overall is from my friend's "unicorn edition" DR-Z5, with about +3dB of reactance from 500Hz to 2kHz and the most bass and treble of any of the units I've measured. Sadly, this headphone's left channel perished shortly after he bought it, and it wound back up in my hands awaiting a donor unit with a similar-sounding driver or a miraculous repair job.

DRZ6CF.png

Meanwhile, the worst result comes from this particularly crap pair of DR-Z6 I bought about a year ago, with one blown driver (of course) and a mighty 8dB rise from the same middle midrange frequencies into a sharp 2kHz peak. Ouch. This thing is unlistenable. What the heck is going on here??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From left to right: DR-Z5 (worn pad), DR-Z6 (new pad), and DR-Z7 (fabric pad):

z5z6z7.jpg

The problem with these drivers lies in two aspects of their construction. The design itself is quite good, but variance in how it is assembled results in a couple of glaring issues:

1. The thickness of the film used varies wildly, likely due to this material being rather new at the time, and the units with thicker film have a lower mechanical breakup frequency than the thinner drivers resulting in more breakup at the driver's primary resonance frequency.

• The "unicorn" DR-Z5 has a significantly thinner diaphragm than the other units, and produces higher frequency -- and lower SPL -- "crinkling" noises when deformed by hand. Typical units almost sound like a plastic water bottle and release much more energy when deformed this way due to the additional material present. In other words, the thinner film has less mass and releases less mechanical energy as it deforms, resulting in both less total energy and less resonance/persistence.

• The exact same thing happens when the suspension flexes for the driver's excursion, although much less catastrophically, and when reflected waves from the interior of the driver housing and from the ear canal collide with the film and transfer energy to it.

• a

The DR-Z6 and DR-Z7 also have an electroplated palladium driver coating -- which does reduce the resonance of the material slightly -- but simultaneously slows its transients down and increases its overall mass, resulting in more acoustic breakup and thus, more 2kHz glare.

2. The dimpling pattern on the center dome is completely random. Every single driver has a different pattern than the next. I forget where I read this bit of info and unfortunately do not remember the specifics, but the way Sony formed this pattern on the center dome was not via the now-obvious "just build the dimpling into the mould" option, like how modern companies such as Beyerdynamic do it. Judging by the end result, the film was likely heated in some way to bring it to its semisolid glass-transition state, and then had air blown at it from the rear to form bubbles. (This is only a guess; if someone remembers where that bit of info was disclosed that would be very helpful.)

• The dimples are important because they help break up the wave returning from the head and send it in random directions. Comparatively, a hard flat surface will reflect sound exactly where it came from, which will promote resonance.

• DRZ_SMOOTH.jpg

The problem is that, sometimes, the entire dome surface is not dimpled. I have circled a portion of this driver in red, where the membrane is still flat and reflective towards the edges. This isn't the best example I have but the rest of my drivers are put away inside their housings, so please excuse my lack of desire to go digging for it. The worst example I've seen has about 50% of the center dome's surface left un-dimpled. Ridiculous. This should never have made it into a headphone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not recommend bothering with these headphones until someone (probably me) works out a way to produce aftermarket drivers to a tighter spec than Sony managed in the 1970s. Even ignoring all the production issues the cable is extremely fragile and soldering to the drivers is almost guaranteed to destroy them due to the haphazard solder tab design. I own 10 of these headphones, only 3 of them still work, and only one is something I would actually use regularly -- of course, my friend's broken pair. Everything else sounds somewhere between "dreadful" and "mediocre".

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #225 of 234
Hello!
I picked up a pair of z6:es yesterday, but there appears to be a short in the cable (which i have read here is quite common) as well as a loose connection on the left side:triportsad:, so im thinking of making a new cable. Has anyone done this so far? If so, any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back