Sony DNE-20 Appreciation Thread
Dec 20, 2007 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
Very little is know about "the world's thinnest" portable cd player. In fact, a quick search only reviews 1-2 reviews on this wonderful device.

I have personally fell in love with this CD player. Since getting this player 18 months ago, I have ditched both my video iPod and my ZVM. I am actually one of those people that hate converting and organizing my music files on the computer. Now I don't have to. I buy the albums I want, and simply pop it into the cd player to enjoy. I carry around with me 2-3 albums at all times and find this more convenient than spending hours upon hours organizing and reorganizing my music on the computer to sync up to my DAP.

The great thing about this CD player is that it's thin enough to be highly portable. I also choose not to carry about the remote since I find it cumbersome. To my ears, CDs playing straight from the DNE-20 sounds better than compressed music playing out of a DAP. Sure, you can find better sounding PCDP, but they are usually too big and cumbersome to carry around. With the DNE-20, you can get the best of both worlds, portability and sound quality.

Just wanted to get the word out on this excellent CD player.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Wow, there's only one on ebay and it's over $200. Why is it so hard to find a good portable cd player? After reading comments here, all the new ones sound bad and a waste of money. I've been looking on ebay, and found a d-25s but it's over $100 now. Vintage or newer is fine by me, but man, it's getting crazy not locating one of the recommended models locally or on ebay. This d-ne20 looks pretty good but hard to locate or get any info.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 11
I use and like the D-NE920 which is the thicker cousin of the D-NE20 but sound and internals are supposed to be the same. I also have 2 D-EJ1000 units as backup (they used to be my main unit for traveling). They are better build than the D-NE920 but are fiddilier to use. They are also better build than the model that replaced them, the D-EJ2000 but it was downright sexy in it's black color. Sound wise I can't reliably tell them apart.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have personally fell in love with this CD player. Since getting this player 18 months ago, I have ditched both my video iPod and my ZVM. I am actually one of those people that hate converting and organizing my music files on the computer. Now I don't have to. I buy the albums I want, and simply pop it into the cd player to enjoy. I carry around with me 2-3 albums at all times and find this more convenient than spending hours upon hours organizing and reorganizing my music on the computer to sync up to my DAP.

The great thing about this CD player is that it's thin enough to be highly portable. I also choose not to carry about the remote since I find it cumbersome. To my ears, CDs playing straight from the DNE-20 sounds better than compressed music playing out of a DAP. Sure, you can find better sounding PCDP, but they are usually too big and cumbersome to carry around. With the DNE-20, you can get the best of both worlds, portability and sound quality.

Just wanted to get the word out on this excellent CD player.
smily_headphones1.gif

My portable rig.
2127491481_7b1c95a958.jpg

You are absolutely correct *fan-boy alert* straight red-book sounds fantastic thru this rig. But you are not correct (IMO) that "you can find a better sounding PCDP." I no longer listen to my "highly rated" D-303, or D-15, the D-NE20 sounds more transparent, has more separation and more extension.
EAC->Apple lossless->iPod, still leaves something to be desired.
When I'm in Japan, early next year, I hope to pick up another '20 in red (or blue or both) and a '920.
gW.Walkmanhbƒ‰ƒCƒ“ƒAƒbƒv
The D-NE20 also has an optical out, so I want to see what an outboard DAC will do, too bad the Pico and Predator only use USB.

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D-NE20 also has an optical out, so I want to see what an outboard DAC will do, too bad the Pico and Predator only use USB.

I can highly recommend this combo to go with it iBasso D1 (AD4841, AD8397 and AD8656) the chips in the brackets is the chipset I got from hiflight.

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 11
I have two D-NE10's and two D-NE20's and can't imagine I'd ever part with any of them. I agree with the poster above and give a slight nudge to the sound of the D-NE10. I also have a dozen or more iRivers and will say the SlimX550 is also very good.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can highly recommend this combo to go with it iBasso D1 (AD4841, AD8397 and AD8656) the chips in the brackets is the chipset I got from hiflight.

That was my next move but was side tracked by the iBasso delivery issues and then was faked out by the optical (not) Predator. So I lost track of the D1 thread.

Apologies for cross-threading, but does the latest D1 come standard, with your recommended chip set? I had heard rumors that they were changing chips to match the Head-Fi result.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 11
I don't know as mine was from the very first batch delivered as I ordered and paid it before the official launch and I have not been following the thread for a while as I am well happy with my current configuration but I know that the current model has changes over mine.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My portable rig.
2127491481_7b1c95a958.jpg

You are absolutely correct *fan-boy alert* straight red-book sounds fantastic thru this rig. But you are not correct (IMO) that "you can find a better sounding PCDP." I no longer listen to my "highly rated" D-303, or D-15, the D-NE20 sounds more transparent, has more separation and more extension.
EAC->Apple lossless->iPod, still leaves something to be desired.
When I'm in Japan, early next year, I hope to pick up another '20 in red (or blue or both) and a '920.
gW.Walkmanhbƒ‰ƒCƒ“ƒAƒbƒv

That is quite a portable rig you have there.
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you have a bag to carry all that in?

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is quite a portable rig you have there.
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you have a bag to carry all that in?

Glory; This rig fits nicely in my haute Carhartt vest pocket.
2153021700_a72880250a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back