Sony D66 eggo mod, kinda cool with pictures
Oct 6, 2004 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

BowerR64

1000+ Head-Fier
**2 mods on this thread**

This takes a little harshness out but leaves the can nice and clean. remove the 2 screws from each can located under the pad.

twist the 2 tabs that stick up on the back of the driver housing (counter clockwise) This unlocks the driver from the housing.
attachment.php

cut 2 circles just a bit larger then a quarter. I used all 4 layers and ill remove them one layer at a time till i get the sound i like.
attachment.php

these are the 3 tabs that hold the driver into the housing.
attachment.php

put the layers in the center and insert the driver back into the housing, clockwise to lock it back in.
attachment.php

The finish is an easy to adjust filter that can be easly adjusted by removing or adding the thin layers of tissue. Best of all it still looks completly stock.
eggosmile.gif

attachment.php

Oct 7, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 29
I also removed that chunk of foam that was in the center of the driver. These sound just like the D77s now. Im happy
eggosmile.gif

Not sure if the foam plug thing opened up the bass on the D66 or what but they sound just like the D77 now.

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 29
Kleenex, i used 4 layers but it sounded to muddy. I worked down to 2 layers. But i did another mod and OMG i think turned them into bass head cans now. They freakin boom now!
eek.gif
Ill post the pics in a second. Ive done it to my D66s and D22s and im about to do it to my D77s now.

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 29
Ok i dont know if you ever tried the grados or not but i have 3 par. This one time i put some tape over the back of the can on the outside and it sounded really thin and hallow. So today i was messing with these eggos and i thought humm what if i opened up that grill on the inside a little to let it breath a little better. After i cut a small hole in the filter i noticed there is a plastic cover. A clear plastic cover that totaly seals the can. Then i was confused, it looks like an air vent but when i blow on the back of the can threw that vent no air was flowing threw. Thes cans are not semi open like everyone thinks So i used my soldering iron and i melted a little hole threw this thin plastic and wow the bass really opened up. I know it makes the cans more open but i use these at home and open or closed isnt a problem. This really makes these things sound good now.

Inside the can it looks like a regular cloth filter
attachment.php

After you cut a small hole you see under the cloth is a sealed clear cover (its dome shaped)
attachment.php

I melted a small hole in the center with my iron.
attachment.php

Here you can see the clear cover a little better (D77s)
attachment.php

Before and after the bass mod.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Oct 13, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 29
The first set of pictures are from the D66, the second set is from the D22, but i did this mod to all the sets i have.

D77 top, D66, D22

attachment.php

****EDIT**** Its probobly better to lift the filter then make a small hole in the membrane thing then to cut a hole in it. I think it would keep dust from getting in threw the back. I have since glued the sections i cut out back over the hole. Before i cut the hole i didnt know there was a clear membrane.

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 29
is the modding easy?
im thinkin of gettin a d66 because i like the style and the budgets + portability fits me and my ipod

i listen to rock and r&b, so i am really concerned w/ the bass shy issue,
but if this modding is really easy ( as in that i cannot break the phone accidently when opening or closing up), then i would go ahead and order from audiocube

Dec 4, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 29
Its easy if yo use an iron to melt a little hole in the membrane. I did my other eggos a different way. I poped the round cover offthe outside its the chrome cirle part. Then melt the little hole and put the cover back on. This way you dont have to unscrew anything or remove the pads.

There are some other mods ive seen but this one is the only one that seems to sound good to me. Adding cotton didnt seem to help as much as melting a little hole. Covering the inside vents didnt seem to help either.

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 29
I performed this mod and it works noticably well.

Quick question though:

Would making the hole bigger in the plastic membrane produce even more bass? I would like it if it does...
580smile.gif

Right now the hole I made is almost the size of a pea. Thanks.

Mar 29, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
**2 mods on this thread**

This takes a little harshness out but leaves the can nice and clean. remove the 2 screws from each can located under the pad.

twist the 2 tabs that stick up on the back of the driver housing (counter clockwise) This unlocks the driver from the housing.
attachment.php

cut 2 circles just a bit larger then a quarter. I used all 4 layers and ill remove them one layer at a time till i get the sound i like.
attachment.php

these are the 3 tabs that hold the driver into the housing.
attachment.php

put the layers in the center and insert the driver back into the housing, clockwise to lock it back in.
attachment.php

The finish is an easy to adjust filter that can be easly adjusted by removing or adding the thin layers of tissue. Best of all it still looks completly stock.
eggosmile.gif

attachment.php

Hi, I followed the instructions above. Instead of kleenex, I used the McDonald tissue (which is a little harder than kleenex). I cut out a 2 ply circle in the tissue and inserted into the space where the driver usually goes.

I didn't really notice much of a different, nor did I get the kind of bass that you were talking about. Is it because of the tissue paper that I used? Please advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back