Sony d-ne500 malfunction?
Nov 12, 2004 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

epithetless

Headphoneus Supremus
A couple weeks ago, I made the decision to pick up one of Sony's d-ne500 mp3 CD players, and though I'm generally pleased with the little thing, I've noticed something strange: The player occasionally makes what I'd describe as a temporary mechanical "jamming" noise (it sounds like something inside is stuck and clicking/stuttering as it tries to move). It doesn't happen every time I play a CD, but when it does occur, the player is usually trying to move to a different group of songs (although today it happened twice in the middle of two different songs -- the player stuttered, the music cut out for a second or two, the player made some other CD read noises, and then the music resumed again). I've been mainly playing ATRAC3plus CD-RWs, along with a few ordinary CDs. Anyways, I'm a bit concerned. Is this something others have experienced? Should I send it in to Sony for repairs?
confused.gif
What a pain. I purchased the player new off ebay, so unfortunately exchanging it isn't an option.

Actually, I could probably get away with an exchange if I knew of a store that actually sold these (I've seen the silver ones at RadioShack, but mine's black). Has anyone seen black d-ne500's in-store?

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 4
I Had the silver version and mine had the exact same problem and plus it kept leaving these scratch rings on my CD's, but I exchanged it for a Panasonic SL-SV570, the pana sounds way better, If you do decide to toss the Sony get the Pana SL-SV570.

Since you did buy it from Ebay I would save up some money and buy a different model from a diffierent company, Because SONY doesn't really fix cd players they just look at them and tell you there's nothing wrong with it, I had another sony that had a laser problem and I sent it to Sony and they said nothing was wrong with it luckily the warranty was still valid and I didn't have to pay a dime to send it there.

My point is don't waste your time and money on getting that model fixed or replaced. Mine developed that problem after a month of use. It's not even worth sending it to sony.

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 4
huh.... sony's been going downhill with their products lately. probably to make up all the loses in the portable department because they're too stubborn to change their proprietory media requirement (atrac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back