Sony D-NE10 -- REVIEW: I'm liking this player!
Nov 23, 2004 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

D555

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Just picked up and evaluating the Sony D-NE10 (I know the D-NE20 is out in Japan -- I wanted silver and to complete the Sony "10" series). These players are starting to be "attractively priced". Am using Sennheiser PX-100.

In short, I like this player a lot.

SOUND: So far, I like the sound better than the D-EJ2000 (even after the '2000 cap mod). Bass seems to be better controlled and less distorted. At the high-end there is more detail being presented to these ears. The reported "dark" sound of the PX-100 can be mitigated through use of the NE10's parametric equalizer. As heard through the PX-100 the headphone output is hiss free and quite powerful. Frankly, I'm surprised at how good this player sounds.

PHYSICAL: Based upon the initial pictures I thought this player looked a bit funky. It's not the average looking PCDP that's for sure, but in person and with the glossy finish, it does look quite nice, IMHO. The player makes more mechanical noise when changing tracks than the D-EJ2000 but it appears to be working OK. The disc lid closes securely. I don't like the external battery pack/external power connection device though and will be used only if necessary. The device works, I just think it looks awful. Couldn't Sony just use a normal power jack? The battery seems to have quite a long life in use. We'll see how it holds up.

SOFTWARE: Haven't loaded up the Sonic Stage that comes with this player but I don't expect to burn much, as the vast majority of use for the player will be with commercial CDs.

SUMMARY: I think this player is a winner. Great sound, operaton, and looks combine to make this player, in my view, a serious contender in present-day, PCDPs.

Paul

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you tried an amp with the line out yet? I like the stock D-EJ2000 sound with my Alessandros, but I haven't done a lot of comparison with the other contemporary Sonys. Mmm... tantalum.

I will revive the D-NE20 thread when it arrives on the North American shores.

Nov 23, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 8
So, if the D-NE20 has the same sound architecture, it'd be the perfect player, yes?
biggrin.gif

The beef I have with the D-NE10 is that there is no display when using the optical output (which I would like when doing digital dubs), so that knocks it off my list, I'd get the D-NE900 instead, although, if you're using it just with headphones, go for the D-NE10, since it's different?

Nov 23, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 8
You're welcome!

Haven't tried the line out and don't plan to use it with an amp, my portable bag won't hold much more! Head/line/optical out is a bit of disappointment but I just don't copy that much. The MD will sync with the start of the NE10, however if one is trying to compile some "best tracks" I can see how that can be an issue.

Paul

Nov 23, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the great review! I am rather partial to my 2000 and I think it sounds really fantastic, but after reading your review, I am certainly curious to hear the DNE10.

Nov 23, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Give it an audition. I was really surprised. Before purchase, I was thinking it would be somewhat better, soundwise. I think it is actually quite a bit better. I don't even feel the urge to try to modify this player.

Paul

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 8
FYI the NE900 has the same sounding output stage but with a display. It is a bit thicker too. I had the NE10 and (a bunch of) NE900, decided to keep the 900.

Don't know how much it will bother people, but the Line Out mode does work with the remote plugged in. Of course the signal will have to go through the remote cable, but it's a possibility to amp it out of the remote headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back