Sony D-66 portable CD player: opinions?
Jun 16, 2003 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
A friend has a D-66 in mint condition that I might be able to snag. Any opinions on this player compared to some of the other "respected" portables? (I'm concerned mostly with the line-out performance.)

I've done a few searches, but I'm tired of going into threads only to find out that they're talking about the D66 Eggos
wink.gif
(Thanks for naming your headphones with the same model as an older PCDP, Sony. Smooth.)

Jun 16, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 16
intersting...

some guy: hey nice headphones..wut are they?
you: D66
some guy: nice...wut cd player is that?
you: D66
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

got any pic of it?

Jun 17, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 16
I should be able to compare the D66 discman to the D-303 in a few days.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'll post my impressions ..... keep tunned.

CD44hi

Jun 19, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 16
I've got a nonworking D-66 that I got off Ebay a while back. Don't know why, but I can't get it to power up, either off batteries or an ac adaptor. Any ideas?

If someone wants one for parts or to tinker on, PM me (cover the shipping and its yours...)

appar111

Jun 20, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 16
Sorry guys, specially MacDEF.......

I just received in the mail today a BROKEN D-66 Discman. I guess we'll have to wait to know more about this CD player.........

CD44hi

Jun 21, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 16
How bad can it possibly be? I mean, look how low the model3 is, it's only twice that of the D33!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey Mac, why not try the pcdp out and see what your ears think?

confused.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 16
just to ressurect an old thread i just recieved a sony D-66 disman and my initial impressions...its not so bad. i have not had any extended usage...have not had the time but i'm using it with a brand new pair of px200. the line out sounds very clear distinct...well thats the best description i can give it so far. if my memory serves me correct this player sounds better to me than a D-33 or D-141....dare i say the D-25s......ok so maybe i need to listen to it somemore but my initial impression is the headphone out at about 2.5 maybe 3 is plenty loud to drive the px200, which are being broken in still. and i need to get a wall plug for it because something tells me it eats batteries like candy. anyways...just my .02.

ray

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 16
D-66? Headphone-out? Excellent....I am so impressed. I've hunted down every somewhat decent Discman I can get my paws on....received this one last week ($7, shipped..lol), and was absolutely impressed by it. AMATEUR ears, mind you, but my first impression was better than my recently acquired D33, 111, 5, 15, and many many others (11, 5, 9, 101, 202, 35, 141, 465....), including - yes - the holy grail 211... I'm going to blow the 211 and other high-rollers out the door shortly because I just can't hear the $200 difference. I'd love some constructive feedback on this from someone who's heard the unit.....Pay round-trip shipping, and I'd be happy to loan it out to a reputable listener just to make sure I'm not completely stoned. Or find your own for $7 and post...PeterR, Duncan, austonia...u listening? This could be my DOWNFALL post, but I'm really failing to hear the *magic*... Please enlighten me.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

D-66? Headphone-out? Excellent....I am so impressed. I've hunted down every somewhat decent Discman I can get my paws on....received this one last week ($7, shipped..lol), and was absolutely impressed by it. AMATEUR ears, mind you, but my first impression was better than my recently acquired D33, 111, 5, 15, and many many others (11, 5, 9, 101, 202, 35, 141, 465....), including - yes - the holy grail 211...

For those players I've heard (see profile), I'd second that with the exception of the D-33 and D-35 which to me both are a significant step up from the 66. Not sure about the 211 as as my two attempts so far didn't get me one that works properly (the 211's build quality obviously leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to its tank-like ancestors...).
The 66 is a good player, and certainly not worth 200$ less than a 211...

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm a little out of the loop at the moment, i'm still due to do these various updates, but have had very little time of late (not to mention that I have a faulty monitor... roll on 26 Jan when I can get my hands on a 17" TFT
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I personally still don't think that the line out of the D25 is so great. and the D465 sounds a little flat... but in a good way, it sounds (to me) neutral, rather than peaky... Also, don't forget that in terms of line out, the D211 I rated not so good...

I have had a D33 here for about 6 weeks now, that I have to return very imminently that I still haven't even powered up yet (shock, horror!)... I really must do that...

What vintage is the D66?

Feb 1, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 16
My Sony D-66 says, "Manufactured: March, 1991"

The headphone output on the Sony D-66 portable CD-player kicks ass! It is hard to believe that it is a portable when listening to it. It even drove Beyerdynamic DT-880 relatively well. However, the volume knob was turned up so I don't think that batteries would last too long with that combination.

I compared its headphone output to the headphone output on my $200 Denon DCM-280 home five-disc changer. It sounded almost as good.

I will compare the line outputs after my new headphone amplifier arrives Tuesday.

280smile.gif

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #15 of 16
I've decided to revive this thread if you guys don't mind. :)
Who knows which DAC type is used in a D-66? I guess this is a multibit one? Which model #
if someone knows by any chance?
Just grabbed this one on Ebay.
Thanks and Cheers! :)

UPD: I've found that: NEC DAC uPD6376, DUAL DAC, 16-bit linear, 8fs digital filter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back