Sony, Cowon or iPod with Denon AH-551s?
Sep 23, 2008 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

LHH

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the forum, but after some helpful advice I've purchased a pair of Denon AH-C551 in-ear headphones. I'm now after a small DAP to pair with them. I have a iPod nano, but am heading overseas and want something with a larger memory capacity (16gig or more).

I am looking at the following three players:

iPod Nano G4 $329.00 NZD
Sony MZWS739 $369.00 NZD
Cowon D2 $379.00 NZD

While I like the size of the iPod, I am put off it by the less than glowing reports on its sound quality, and the need to use iTunes (I use Linux).

The Cowon seems to get generally good reports, but there has been some mention of unreliability and bass roll-off with low impedence phones. The AH-C551s are only 16Ohm so this concerns me.

Given these factors I'm tending towards the Sony, which advertises drag and drop capability (so I assume I can use it with Linux) and has clear-bass (or whatever it is), which may help with roll off. I've had various Sony units in the past (about three discmans, and a MD player), and they have seemed to sound OK if a little flat.

In addition to the AH-C551s I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD280pros which I will also use with whichever player I get. However I'm happy to get an amp to use with the larger phones (but don't want to use one with the Denons).

Given the above, which player would you be tending towards? Are there any problems with the Sony? Or am I mistaken about the other two players? Which one would you get? Or is there another player on the market (and available in New Zealand) that I should be looking at. I'd prefer something slim and light so I can put it in a shirt pocket...

Thanks in advance.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 2
i don't have those headphones but i do have the cowon d2 and it rocks. i mainly use it w/ the super.fi 3 iems but also w/ an old pair of sennheisers (no amp) and occasionally some 5.1 logitech speakers. in terms of sq, it just blows ipods away. i was thinking of upgrading to the c551s to get more bass... if i get around to it soon, i'll let you know how the pair sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back