Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc)
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #2,446 of 2,552
So that driver going quiet.. was dying, and is now dead. Anyone else have drivers fail after a couple of years of use? Both my Mh-750 sets had the left driver die and i'm wondering if i go buy more at elevated prices or look elsewhere for a tiny, sleeping bud replacement. Nothing could replace that bass in this shell size from what i've seen so far.

Jan 26, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2,447 of 2,552
So that driver going quiet.. was dying, and is now dead. Anyone else have drivers fail after a couple of years of use? Both my Mh-750 sets had the left driver die and i'm wondering if i go buy more at elevated prices or look elsewhere for a tiny, sleeping bud replacement. Nothing could replace that bass in this shell size from what i've seen so far.
Curious the mine same, the right one.
The inside membrane in the mine, sound some times : "click, click" triying for a good place in my ear of the inside membrane and the sound apear again. Maybe a thing of temperature, maybe cool, or someting about the air pression inside the capsule, removing the foam in the tube cabity maybe fix. But doing that, the highs in the sound come strident sivilant sure. Then equalization.

A greeting.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #2,448 of 2,552
Curious the mine same, the right one.
The inside membrane in the mine, sound some times : "click, click" triying for a good place in my ear of the inside membrane and the sound apear again. Maybe a thing of temperature, maybe cool, or someting about the air pression inside the capsule, removing the foam in the tube cabity maybe fix. But doing that, the highs in the sound come strident sivilant sure. Then equalization.

A greeting.

What you are describing for this "clicking" sound is probably driver flex, where the dynamic driver crinkles under pressure, due to insufficient venting. While manufacturers claim this will not harm the driver, I've seen anecdotal reports on forums of the IEM dying after a bad case of driver flex.

Driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. Sometimes it is an inherent structural design flaw where majority of users complain of driver flex (eg iBasso IT00, Oriveti New Primacy). I found a few ways to mitigate driver flex, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell. However, foam tips tend to tame treble, and are not as durable as silicone tips, so YMMV.

2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.

3) Try opening your mouth and pulling upwards on the top of the ear before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal. I manage to fix driver flex 90% of the time using this technique. This is also the technique that ENT doctors use before inserting a ear probe.

4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in. U can also angle the eartip during insertion instead of forcing it perpendicular to the ear canal (which squeezes the eartip opening shut).

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #2,449 of 2,552
I've honestly never noticed driver flex, but my Oriveti NP died by DD failure after a couple of years of regular use. So maybe it contributes. Come to think of it all my DD sets that have been in frequent use have suffered driver death. Just thinking of my Piston HD's that died.. i did the vent mod on those, blocking it up for extra bass, probably didn't help them long term.

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,450 of 2,552
What you are describing for this "clicking" sound is probably driver flex, where the dynamic driver crinkles under pressure, due to insufficient venting. While manufacturers claim this will not harm the driver, I've seen anecdotal reports on forums of the IEM dying after a bad case of driver flex.

Driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. Sometimes it is an inherent structural design flaw where majority of users complain of driver flex (eg iBasso IT00, Oriveti New Primacy). I found a few ways to mitigate driver flex, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell. However, foam tips tend to tame treble, and are not as durable as silicone tips, so YMMV.

2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.

3) Try opening your mouth and pulling upwards on the top of the ear before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal. I manage to fix driver flex 90% of the time using this technique. This is also the technique that ENT doctors use before inserting a ear probe.

4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in. U can also angle the eartip during insertion instead of forcing it perpendicular to the ear canal (which squeezes the eartip opening shut).
I agree with that so it is.
I add another one, the driver glue in the capsule, the glue loses its properties over time and a blow can move the driver orientation and make it lose volume or stop listening, the Sennheiser IE8 family for example, maybe someone will revive theirs.

I forget to put this for try with the MH 750.

a greeting.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #2,451 of 2,552
Can someone please tell me if this is legit? Its filter is white in center

Attachments

• P_20230203_100753.jpg
    P_20230203_100753.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20230203_100748.jpg
    P_20230203_100748.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20230203_100740.jpg
    P_20230203_100740.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2,457 of 2,552

Removing that membrane/filter the sound back is about pressure in this case.

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11544077.png
11544077.png

The problem of the driver flex is solved and sound back, with the heat some of the adhesive melts or the serum seals that filter and changes the pressure somehow. Removing with some of alcohool lowered with water the filter jumped from the site it was on.
I have removed the filter from the left capsule too to nivelate the volume and the result now is more volume, great sound as always in bot left and right, but a litle more sibilant too, but full sound yes.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #2,459 of 2,552
I was listening to the legit MH755 and MH750 with mmcx support and didn't like the spikes in the treble (probably 7kHz). So we changed the silver-plated mmcx cable to an OCC mmcx cable to improve the treble.

If anyone else has the same problem, try OCC cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back