Sony A818 amped?
Jan 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
I currently use a 4th generation ipod with a turbodock to a Headamp Pico to UM2s or KSC-75s for my portable setup. I'd like something smaller and more pocketable. The pico definitely adds detail and soundstage and lots of other benefits to my ipod (no hiss on UM2s) etc.

Would the Sony sound better amped with these headphones? Can the Sony be used amped? I would appreciate any responses from Sony A818 owners who use them amped. Also, any Sony 818 owners who have UM2s or KSC-75s.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 5
I have the A816, and I think it sounds better with the MiniboxE+ plugged into it. Of course, no line out option, just the headphone jack, but it still sounds better amped to me, for all the usual reasons (more detail, depth of sound, clarity, etc.)

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 5
Out of curiosity I plugged my HD-650s into my A818 and surprisingly, it sounds good, although I am not blasting the music really loud which could explain why it sounds good. I mostly use my A818 with Shure SE420s and that sounds very good to my ears as well, good enough that I have never had any urge to use an amp with that combo. Before I upgraded to the A818, I had a 2G Nano and it seemed like everything needed the help of an amp to sound decent.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Sounds like if I ever decided to go the ampless route, the A818 would be a great buy. BUT, at home with my HD600, an amp is a must. Plus, the dac is so great in the pico. I don't have much time to listen to music on the go, where I true portability would play a larger factor. At work, I can just use my ipod with the pico. Thanks for your replies.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 5
I do agree that the Sony DAP sounds pretty good without an amp. I guess it also depends on the phones you use. With Atrios and/or PK3s, no amp needed. With AL 716s and PK1s, an amp makes a big difference to me. So I guess I should have clarified my initial post. With the right phones, no amp needed. With inefficient phones, you need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back