Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Jul 17, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #316 of 1,377
I got my custom calibration done for the HD650 last week. I just want to comment on how much of a difference it makes compared to the average profile. You wouldn't think it would make much difference, but it honestly doesn't sound like I am listening to headphones after the calibration, the sound has suddenly jumped out of the headphones and made them disappear. It quite literally transforms the HD650s into a whole new headphone, that beats anything else I have tried the 3 years I've been in the hobby. I've honestly never heard sound so natural and realistic thanks to the flat frequency curve Sonarworks uses. I am eager to try other headphones now with the custom calibration. So, kudos to the team at Sonarworks, because my experience with the custom calibration service has been nothing but amazing!

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #319 of 1,377
Yes i hear that from many on here. Makes me want to get the HD800 just to use it with the calibration!

Ahhhh.....think of it as $2000 calibration (or whatever the exact total would be) that comes with a free hd800

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #322 of 1,377
Also, let us know if you're getting the equalization which rolls off the extreme bass or  the one that keeps it flat to 20hz.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #323 of 1,377
  And I'd be interested to hear your results. Please share this if you decide to do it. 

Will do :¬)

Also, let us know if you're getting the equalization which rolls off the extreme bass or  the one that keeps it flat to 20hz.

I've not decided that yet - when I do I'll get them sent off.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #324 of 1,377
I use Sonarworks Reference 3 and also the redline Monitor day in and day out in Cubase 8 for mixing, along with monitors. Love the flat response on both my AKG-702 and HD-600s, but at the end of the day I cannot wait to get those cans off and hear some real music through very coloured headphones. Like my Grados. These plugins take the life out of any music.
biggrin.gif
 Just saying that not everyone will enjoy "calibrated" cans.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #325 of 1,377
  I use Sonarworks Reference 3 and also the redline Monitor day in and day out in Cubase 8 for mixing, along with monitors. Love the flat response on both my AKG-702 and HD-600s, but at the end of the day I cannot wait to get those cans off and hear some real music through very coloured headphones. Like my Grados. These plugins take the life out of any music.
biggrin.gif

Odd...I guess we all hear things differently. Even using "flat" sonarworks EQ with my hd800, the headphone has a much more musical presentation than stock. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #326 of 1,377
biggrin.gif

It's the opposite with the HD800; SW R3 gives them a fuller, more natural sound.

Saying that, if you like Grado's, you'd probably prefer the brighter (thinner, compared to the EQ'ed version) stock HD800 sound.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #327 of 1,377
Everyone certainly is different,  when I use SW with my HD 800's, the sound is so transparent as to seen utterly naked and transparent, like nothing at all whatsoever is veiling or hiding the musicians from me.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #329 of 1,377
  So is the list of headphones offered in the plugin static or will sonarworks ever be adding new headphones to the list?

Of course they do (but they only add consistently manufactured/measuring headphones as generic presets... though looking at the recent list that's debatable :D)

http://sonarworks.com/2016/04/sonarworks-now-on-5-new-headphones/

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #330 of 1,377
nice to see what Matt's secret weapon was with his HD800 at Canlanta, haha.  I've now also gone to the Sonarworks HD800 darkside (or rather neutralside).  Truly a game changer with these cans, as they take the HD800's raw resolution, low distortion and soundstage and then give you a completely natural tonal balance.  I pair it with GoodHertz can opener and Goodhertz mid-side.  Then you throw on a transparent DAC and amp with great dynamicism and it's absolutely the best headphone sound I've ever heard, including stuff I've heard at meets.

also, I am gonna send my lawton mod emu ebony cup THX00 into sonarworks as well.  The lawton mods really cut down on THD and ringing, interested to see if sonarworks gets it to the last little piece

Also, for the guy saying "I can't wait to get some colored headphones on after using it, like Grados."  They do have the GS1000 simulation, that to my ears is dead spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back