Some paypal help...
Jul 25, 2008 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
So my brother wants to sell his WoW account and does so through my pp account. A guy pays him $700 through my paypal account.

I check out his username on google and it turns out he has some really bad feedback. The money he had sent me is now pending into my bank account but I freaked out and I used an e-check to refund him in case he decides to dispute me.

Was this a bad mistake? Someone told me if he is a fraudulent buyer then that money that is pending into my bank account won't make it and on top of that he will get the $700 refund e-check I sent him.

Basically if the money is pending into my bank account, can he take it back and keep my refund?

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 15
No if it's pending going into your bank, he can't touch it.

As far as I know Paypal cannot take money from your bank account once it's in there. They can only take money that's in your Paypal account or money that comes into it after the fact.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 15
Hi MuZI,

Next time, do not send a new payment to refund another payment. There is an option to refund the transaction you just received. The problem is if the guy wants to be a real butt, he can still dispute the original payment he sent, the $700. Think of each payment as a contract. Although you sent him a refund through another transaction, the original transaction is still in force because that's payment for a good you still have not delivered. PayPal usually does not cross-examine new transactions to see if you refunded him another way.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 15
Technically it wasn't another transaction right?

I mean I clicked on the details option... then went to refund buyer option or whatever and used my bank to refund.

I couldn't use my paypal balance because I had taken the funds out. I just used a different source to refund.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also... if he paid by CC can he do a chargeback before he gets the e-check?

You can always do a chargeback if you paid by credit card through paypal. That's not a paypal policy, it's a right granted by the cc company.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by david21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can still cancel that eCheck right?

How? I'm not sure if this is possible.

Also is there a way I can check if he paid by CC or what method?

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 15
This was the advice I was talking about. You're fine, MuZi. I thought you opened a new transaction by clicking "send Money." In which case you didn't, don't worry about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically it wasn't another transaction right?

I mean I clicked on the details option... then went to refund buyer option or whatever and used my bank to refund.

I couldn't use my paypal balance because I had taken the funds out. I just used a different source to refund.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 15
I just received this...

Dear XyZ,

You have sent a pending full or partial refund to XyYZ (XyyZ).

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview.Because this refund was for a pending payment, the payment has been cancelled and no money has been credited to or withdrawn from your PayPal account balance.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Ok, a update and question.

I spoke to the guy and his english is worse than mine.

From what I understand, he is going to try to reject my refund so the money goes back into my account. This allows him to file a dispute.

Can he reject my refund? Is there anyway I can force him to take the refund and reject any future transactions from him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back