Some M50 Questions
Sep 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TLDMan

Head-Fier
Hey. I'm getting into headphones and, after looking around a bunch, decided to come to this forum. I currently own a pair of Koss Portapros (this is my first pair of headphones by the way) and want to upgrade. I'm mostly upgrading for three reasons: I want better sound quality (the Portapros are very good but I'm looking for something better,) some degree of isolation + no leakage, and an around-the-ear headphone. Also, something around $100. The M50s really seem like the best option for me so I'm highly considering them. I have some questions I'd like to ask before I go out and buy them:

1. How does the Portapro compare to the M50?

2. How's the M50's isolation? I'm not looking for noise-cancelling phones but something that isolates decently.

3. Even though they're a closed headphone, do the M50s leak sound, and if so, how much? Normally I wouldn't ask this about closed cans, but I've heard that they do from some people and they don't from others. (I plan to use these in a library for a reference point of how much leakage is acceptable.)

4. I know this question has been asked a million times, but which cord is preferable? Something I wanted to know that I haven't the answer to is if the coiled cord tugs if you are just walking with an iPod in your pocket. I'm going to be using the phones in the library, near the computer (this most often,) with an iPod, and while drumming. I also have an extension cord to use if I get the coiled version, though I'd rather just buy the straight cable if I'd have to use it all the time to stop the coiled cord from tugging.

5. Are there any other headphones in this price range that meet my requirements and beat the M50s?

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't like the Porta Pro's myself, but do love the KSC75 with a headband. I think maybe because they're a bit brighter. I have a feeling you will like the M50s. The major difference in sound is going to be that they have a lot more bass. Like the Porta Pro, the sound will not fatigue your ears. That's a plus for me with any headphone. They both have their similarities. I'd actually be surprised if someone liked the Porta Pro and hated the M50!

Isolation is good on the M50s, just as good as the SRH-840 I think. They don't seem to leak sound at all from what I remember.

I hate coiled cords and they always seem to get in my way. It's harder for me to keep the coiled cable out of my way, especially when using it as a portable. I'd definitely get the straight cable version.

I sold my M50s about a week ago. Too much bass for me and I never really was all that impressed with them. They do sound good though, especially for the $100.  Right now I prefer the Koss Pro DJ 100. The sound signature is almost like the KSC75, but feel like it's upgrade. I have a feeling they also use Titanium drivers, but I wish I knew. Most people may prefer the M50 due to it's bass, but I guess I prefer something more neutral with a tad more detail and a better soundstage.

For $100 there is not a lot of options. Maybe check into the Creative Aurvana Live for $65-$70. Those are also much smaller and lighter. I would actually suggest spending a bit more and getting the SRH-840. I actually think you may like the SRH-750DJ which has a lot of bass and is only $125 I believe. I guess it depends on how much bass you really want. The HD-555 from Sennheiser is also not bad.

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Sep 18, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 6
1) The M50 has deeper bass than the Portapro, but less soundstage. Also, the M50 has more detail than the Portapro, although both are warm sounding.

2) The M50's isolate very well when there is music playing.

3) At reasonable to slightly higher levels, the M50 is pretty good at keeping sound in. If you play music so loud that your ears hurt, they'll leak :wink:

4) I personally had the coiled version, since they were portable cans for me. The straight cable can be portable as well, if you coil-wrap it and use a twist-tie or something like that.

5) The Shure 750 is probably the closest thing. I haven't heard it myself, but it supposedly has more bass, but is less comfortable than the M50. Compared with the D1001, the M50 is definitely the better can. The D1001 is comfy, but I found the bass very loose and boomy.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the responses thus far. I'm definitely a fan of strong bass, and based on what has been said so far, they sound like the right phones for me. Would still like some more responses regarding the cord and leakage (not that I don't trust you guys, just want a confirmation is all).

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 6
just pull the trigger man..you will love them.     the isolation is moderate, much better than the denon D5000 i own which is almost like an open headphone.   and the cord is a matter of preference..I got the straight since it is the most comfortable for me and i don't have uses with the coiled one,soundwise they are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back