Some headphones sound muffled/flat on my home receiver
Jul 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Flagger

Head-Fier
Not sure if this is right subforum, but here goes...

So I have a setup at the moment for my main PC where I have a optical digital output from the onboard sound (Realtek ALC892) to a Pioneer VSX-517 home receiver. When I'm not using headphones I have a pair of dtx floorstanders coupled with a Energy sub. This sounds pretty good.

I also have a set of AudioTechnica A500 closed headphones which I plug in to the Pioneer receiver when I'm gaming or need to listen to something in isolation. This also sounds pretty good, all frequencies come through as clear as they can on a A500.

However I just brought home from work my Allesandrio MS-1's and plugged it in and the quality was awful; muffled and no high end sparkle. Plugged it in to the analogue out of the onboard sound and its fine again. Plugged it into my Samsung Galaxy S2 and it sounds fine as well. At work I had it plugged into onboard sound and it was good. Before I had to change computer at work I had installed a Chaintech AV-710 and was using the Wolfson DAC and it sounded brilliant.
I have also tried my canalphones on the receiver (etymotic er6i's, superfi 3's, etc) and they also sounded flat and muffled.

The reason I have this setup is when I want to listen on my headphones, I just plug em in and the receiver will disable the output to my floorstanders. It's very convenient.

I noticed that the A500 have an impedance of 64 ohm while the MS-1 has an impedance of 32 ohm. Would this cause a problem? I do not know what the output impedance of the headphone port on the receiver is. Any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back