[SOLVED] Deciding between these: TDK BA200, Westone 1, JVC FXT90
Oct 2, 2012 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,
I'm replacing my Sennheiser CX 550s which I've had for 4 years. This purchase is to pair with my Sansa Clip Zip.

I'm a user of the Shure SE425 with my iPod classic, and HD650 with my PC and dac/amp.

Musical Preferences: Bass neutral (maybe a bit of deep bass), Mid-Centric, Laid back treble (read: not too bright).

Primary Use: The Clip Zip is my gatekeeper. I try out new music on it, on my commute, before I decide whether the album goes to my Classic. Not sticking to any particular genre.

I'm going to spend around 160US, or 200SGD, with a delta of ~20. The choices I've narrowed down are:

1. Ultimate Ears UE700
  2. TDK BA200
  3. Sennheiser CX880
  4. Westone UM1
  5. Westone 1
  6. Etymotic HF5

They're more based on closest to my budget rather than sound.

Which of the above would be closest to my tastes?

Thanks for the help!

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 13
Ok, reading further, the Sennheiser is out. Not worth the money.

Narrowing it down:

1. Ultimate Ears UE700
  2. TDK BA200
  3. Westone UM1
  4. Westone 1
  5. Etymotic HF5

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 13
Ok, based on further consultation with my local store, here's what I have:

TDK BA200
Westone 1

Another recommendation is JVC FXT 90.

Which one to get??

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
BA200, the most established of the 3. 

BA200>FXT90>W1

The first two are dual drivers, so I think they should offer better clarity and separation.

The BA200 seems closest to what I want.

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Ok, finally going for the TDK.

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Ok, finally going for the TDK.

Thanks for the replies guys!!

I'm in the same boat you have been in.  My final decisions are really leaning towards the tdk ba200, ue700, er hf5 and sony xba-2.  I think I'm most likely looking at the ba200 and ue700 at this point for a few reasons.

Can I ask what your local store told you that ruled out the hf5 and 700?  I know the 700 has had durability problems, but most people seem to claim the new model is better at a minimum and decent if cared for.  I'm just trying to get the most info I can.  I'd love to hear all your details...

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 13
I would strongly consider the Etymotic HF5 again. IMO the smoothest treble from Etymotic (even though the ER-4S still beats the HF in many areas), and the mids are a touch warm for people who don't really like the Etymotic ER-4. I've seen many people dislike the ER-4 but absolutely adore the HF because it's much more affordable and it has a much more forgiving signature. If I had to describe the HF sound sig, it would be a MILD upside down U shape, but the mid and treble are only a touch apart in terms of emphasis. Think of it as this then.

QUANTITY WISE FOR THE HF:
BASS: 6/10
MID: 9/10
TREBLE: 8.5/10

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I would strongly consider the Etymotic HF5 again. IMO the smoothest treble from Etymotic (even though the ER-4S still beats the HF in many areas), and the mids are a touch warm for people who don't really like the Etymotic ER-4. I've seen many people dislike the ER-4 but absolutely adore the HF because it's much more affordable and it has a much more forgiving signature. If I had to describe the HF sound sig, it would be a MILD upside down U shape, but the mid and treble are only a touch apart in terms of emphasis. Think of it as this then.

QUANTITY WISE FOR THE HF:
BASS: 6/10
MID: 9/10
TREBLE: 8.5/10

Could you compare them to the xba-1?  That's the only ie I've heard recently, and while it was decent, the mids were too much and bass to little.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Could you compare them to the xba-1?  That's the only ie I've heard recently, and while it was decent, the mids were too much and bass to little.

I haven't listened to the XBA-1, nor have I listened to any of the XBA series as I really have been slowing down on Head-Fi. I wish I could be more useful at this point 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back