Solid state that can feed 3~5 watts into a low impedance headphone?
Nov 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

Looking for something like the Lyr for my HE-500, but solid state. Any ideas? No real budget. Just getting an idea of what's out there. Would like to find something that can push more than 1watt, something more in the range of 3~5 watts even. The Lyr was doing that, but I'm more interested in solid state these days.

Look forward to any ideas.

Very best,

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 38
I think the Ray Samuels "Dark Star" is in that power range. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 38
Heya,

Nice, thanks. Not terribly excited about a $3000 amp for a $700 headphone though.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 38
Hah. I agree. Just the first one I remembered with that kind of output. I'm sure there are others.

I think the violectric v100 and 200 throw around nearly 2 watts into 32-50 ohm cans. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 38
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 38
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 38
The Violectric V200 pushes my HE-6 more than adequately. I don't have the HE-500 anymore, but there's no reason to suspect that the V200 couldn't do them justice.

For the HE-500, I think the Dark Star is overkill, as well as the new (and long-rumored) EF-6.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 38
Mal,

Any reason you're giving up your Lyr? 

I've been looking into this lately as well and I've narrowed it down to the Violectric V200 and Audio-GD NFB-10SE. Both will take USB inputs, and have tons of power. The Violectric costs twice as much, but the Audio-GD is twice as ugly. I figure if I'm buying this for the long haul, I might as well enjoy it's looks. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 38
PsAudio GCHA - good prices lately, and it already feels like a classic.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 38
if you want to go crazy just hook them up to speaker outputs of a power amp or integrated amp. they'll feed them as much power as you want.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 38

Quote:
Mal,

I've been looking into this lately as well and I've narrowed it down to the Violectric V200 and Audio-GD NFB-10SE. Both will take USB inputs, and have tons of power. The Violectric costs twice as much, but the Audio-GD is twice as ugly. I figure if I'm buying this for the long haul, I might as well enjoy it's looks. 

Heya,

Sold the Lyr off because I'm done with Tubes. I like the sound, but it's not different enough to me and I don't like that tubes sound different from tube to tube (you can mix/match and have channels not sounding right if you screw up, etc). Also, when one tube goes out before another, it's a pain, and you might as well replace both tubes at the same time. I had other tube amps as well. I'm just not into rolling tubes. I simply liked the tube look, tube sound was nice enough but I think I prefer the solid state sound. So looking to go more solid state right now. I'm currently just using an Asgard I picked up to hold me over while I figure it out after having sold the Lyr. So looking at this NFB10SE for $500, that's far and it's a DAC/AMP that outputs a ton of power to low impedance headphones, might fit the bill. I don't mind it being a little ugly, at the cost compared to spending twice as much for a nicer "look." I would prefer it it look nice (I love schiit's design for example). But they unfortunately didn't make a more powerful asgard, which I hope they do.

Very best,

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 38

Quote:
Mal,

well the nfb-10SE puts 6Watts into 50ohms and 19volts. the v200 puts 11.6v and 2.7watts......i suggest u take the nfb-10SE and i also think it doesnt even look ugly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back