Solid State Amp Suggestion
Sep 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yuceka

1000+ Head-Fier
I am on the market for a solid state amp (not portable). My cans are Grado SR225i, Beyer DT770/32, Sennheiser HD650 and possibly a Grado RS1i and a Beyer DT990/660 ohm in the near future! As for the amp,  I'd like to stick to maximum $300-$350. 

I am torn between Schiit Asgard, Little Dot MK V, Matrix M-Stage. These are the ones I've looked at so far but I'd love to hear about others as well if you have any suggestions. 

So far most of my headphones are low impedance other than the Senns. I already have a Little Dot MK II but I want to experiment with an SS amp, do you guys have any recommendations as to what to or not to get? 

Thanks 

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Little Dot V is a good candidate, especially when the opamps are optimized.   

Let's say I have this super ability of breaking things and making them not work if I open them up and change stuff.
I have a D4 Mamba and people keep saying that I should get some opamps but I don't even know where to get them or how to install them
frown.gif

So is Little Dot still the winner without tweaking ? 

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Changing OPAMPs really isn't that difficult and basically a plug and play operation. It's a great way to tailor the sound to your liking or simply to match your cans signature better.
Even though I have and like the LD MK V I'm tempted to try the Asgard out as I like the simple, puristic design (both in- and outside
biggrin.gif
).

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Greetings, this is my first post here (although I am an avid reader)

I own Beyerdynamic 990 600ohms and also 880 300ohms

What cheap solid state amps would you suggest that can drive 600 ohms?  This is for my desk at work, so size / power supply is not an issue.

Thanks

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Ehhh... what is the Stax amp doing there?  You can't use that with dynamic headphones. 

I had no idea that it wouldn't be useful for dynamic headphones. I didn't even read anything about it, just found its page here and looked at the price. My main question has to do with these three: Matrix, Asgard, and Little Dot. However, thanks for pointing that out to me. 

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and read up a lot more. Your short list is iffy at best.

Well, that's very helpful (?) Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back