Solid silver interconnects?
Feb 20, 2020 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
I have some solid silver interconnects that I like but am having trouble getting them to sound balanced in my system. It seems like they are always too bright and not warm enough. What are your experiences with solid silver interconnects and cables?

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 45
Your system?

It has changed over the years but I have kept a pair of interconnects around that are just a pair of solid silver conductor wires. One thing I've noticed before though is using lots of tube amplification can be a good match for the solid silver stuff. Right now my gear is mostly solid state.

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 45
Drop many thousands and upgrade the interconnects. Get a new server as well.

Mar 10, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 45
It has changed over the years but I have kept a pair of interconnects around that are just a pair of solid silver conductor wires. One thing I've noticed before though is using lots of tube amplification can be a good match for the solid silver stuff. Right now my gear is mostly solid state.
It was a simple question. What is the system do you listen? Speakers, headphones, amp, dac. Wires degrade sound and silver degrade less so. There is other side of coin... Many speakers or headphones have crappy tonal balance and people dont want to hear the truth and opt to choose coloration be it from copper cables, r2r dacs, tube amps and any component that add colorations.
Some even rate component how good it is based on how its colorations mask flawed headphones/speakers fr instead of technical performance.
People choose headphones that have massive flaws and then talk crap how Sabre dacs are bad or how silver cables are bright lol. Noise from components and non linear fr can sound bad and certainly not dac chip or silver cables lol.

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 45
It was a simple question. What is the system do you listen? Speakers, headphones, amp, dac. Wires degrade sound and silver degrade less so. There is other side of coin... Many speakers or headphones have crappy tonal balance and people dont want to hear the truth and opt to choose coloration be it from copper cables, r2r dacs, tube amps and any component that add colorations.
Some even rate component how good it is based on how its colorations mask flawed headphones/speakers fr instead of technical performance.
People choose headphones that have massive flaws and then talk crap how Sabre dacs are bad or how silver cables are bright lol. Noise from components and non linear fr can sound bad and certainly not dac chip or silver cables lol.

right now I’m listening to a Schiit Modi 3 through a Pass Labs Whammy amp with OPA2107 powering Beyerdynamic Dt770 600ohm headphones. Interconnects are home made, simply two insulated wires for each side soldered to rca plugs. The wire is silver plated solid copper Alpha Wire.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 45
right now I’m listening to a Schiit Modi 3 through a Pass Labs Whammy amp with OPA2107 powering Beyerdynamic Dt770 600ohm headphones. Interconnects are home made, simply two insulated wires for each side soldered to rca plugs. The wire is silver plated solid copper Alpha Wire.
Well its not suprising cause DT770 = Bright. Had T1, dt990 and heard Dt880, dt770, t90 and all of them were bright sounding.

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 45
Well its not suprising cause DT770 = Bright. Had T1, dt990 and heard Dt880, dt770, t90 and all of them were bright sounding.

I agree and Beyers seem to pair well with tube amps in my experience. But not bad with the Whammy because it’s a darker sounding amp with the opamps I’ve tried.

I actually like Mogami cables for interconnects if I want a darker sound. Also it’s good to ask what wiring the components are using internally. Maybe it would be good to be consistent with it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 45
[1] I actually like Mogami cables for interconnects if I want a darker sound.
[2] Also it’s good to ask what wiring the components are using internally.
[2a] Maybe it would be good to be consistent with it.

1. Mogami cables don't produce a "darker" sound. Mogami are one of the brands typically used by commercial studios and if they noticeably changed the frequency of the audio signals that passed through them, no studio would use them.

2. Why? At those lengths it makes even less difference.
2a. Again, why? Assuming the cable is functioning correctly (not changing the audio freq) then what difference would matching to it make?

G

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 45
I have some solid silver interconnects that I like but am having trouble getting them to sound balanced in my system. It seems like they are always too bright and not warm enough. What are your experiences with solid silver interconnects and cables?
Hate Silver interconnects, they sound off and overly flat/Bright.. Try 20 gauge Solid OCC Copper interconnects (Rhodium connectors), once you listen to it, there is no going back.

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 45
My gear is Worth about 20+K. It sounds like Alice in wonderland, on a mushroom trip. Competes with systems in the 50K plus range.
I doubt it sounds like crap.
But then again......
if its so good then why simply better wire can make it worse... After all transparent gear reveal system weaknesses and strenghts. Sometimes tuning of speakers is just bad and simple eq would get better results.

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 45
if its so good then why simply better wire can make it worse... After all transparent gear reveal system weaknesses and strenghts. Sometimes tuning of speakers is just bad and simple eq would get better results.
Define better?
And why are you arguing over something you have no first hand experience with? Do what makes you happy.
EQ works for you....great.
My entire system is hand tuned, piece by piece.Wires, capacitors, to the minutest details. Silver presents a flat image, that is not acoustically correct, at least to my ears.
Solid Copper has a 3D image with extended bass.

If your system is reference tuned, Silver will push it over the edge. If you have loud systems, with emphasized bass, Silver is perhaps more useful.
To each his own.
Silver also has unnatural timbre, acoustic instruments sound off. As I hear it....

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 45
[1] My entire system is hand tuned, piece by piece.Wires, capacitors, to the minutest details.
[2] Silver presents a flat image, that is not acoustically correct, at least to my ears. Solid Copper has a 3D image with extended bass.
[3] If your system is reference tuned,
[3a] Silver will push it over the edge.

1. How was it tuned to the "minutest details"?

2. Neither silver nor copper present an image, they just transfer an analogue audio signal from one place to another.

3. Again, how was it "referenced tuned" and what was the reference?
3a. I've worked in some of the most "reference tuned" listening environments on the planet, silver never pushes "it over the edge". In fact, as there is no difference anywhere near audibility between silver and copper cables, the most "reference tuned" listening environments don't use silver cables.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back