Soldering Iron? Which One?
Jun 11, 2005 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

km.3000

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
I'm a Total N00B in DIY as I have just started. I need to buy tools and I live in Toronto Canada. I was wondering where I could get some tools for electronics and also where to get supplies. I currently only know about Active Surplus on Queen.
I am currently looking at
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43469
this soldering iron. What are you thoughts? Also, where could I get a digital multimeter, and which one?
Thanks a bunch in advance for your helpful replies!
P.S- if you guys could recommend me to audio shops in Toronto, that would be very helpful as I only know of BBR so far :'(

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 15
I use a 25W weller pencil for light duty stuff, 40W for heavier, and an 80W to solder up battery packs for my RC cars. I use one of those spring/base stands to hold it on my bench. Works well as a budget setup, and tips are very easy to find.

Garrett

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 15
Another recommendation for Weller irons. They make great products. Xytronics makes some good stuff too, I see their stuff all the time at All Electronics. Which, by the way, is a fantastic surplus store with $6 flat rate shipping. I'd check out their irons and solder, and order anything else you might need while you're at it to take advantage of the flat rate shipping...they have untold amounts of stuff, you never know what you might find. They even have high quality aluminum water bottles!
confused.gif

I use some iron that came with an electronics kit I had to buy for school last year. It's pretty nice, something like 25 or 30 watts. It has a nice slide in tip with a nut that slides over the top to secure it, instead of those old stupid threaded tips or the kind you secure by tightening a screw on the side of the shaft. For really light work I have a 15 watt RatShack iron my brother got some time ago, and for heavy stuff I have my...what is it, like 140/210 watt Weller soldering gun. It gets really-****-hot.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 15
You're better off with a corded (rather than cordless) soldering iron, weller and hakko are the two most people talk about, metcal being the upper range. I have a weller WESD51 and it's a brilliant soldering iron, but might be out of your price range. http://www.mouser.com stock weller, so have a look through their catalogue.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by silvalis
What about Goot irons? Are they any good?

I've heard mixed reports about goot irons

Jun 12, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 15
Congrats Jazper on your 100th post!
Thanks for your recommendation guys!
I was wondering if anyone knows where to get Hakko or Weller Soldering Irons in Canada as it seems all these online suppliers are all located in the US of A.
Or if anyone knows an online parts supplier which ships for cheap
smily_headphones1.gif
Please let me know as well!
Thanks for all your help guys!

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 15
is radio shack digital iron any good? it looks cheap, can buy in store and seems decent enough..any comments?

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by km.3000
Congrats Jazper on your 100th post!
Thanks for your recommendation guys!
I was wondering if anyone knows where to get Hakko or Weller Soldering Irons in Canada as it seems all these online suppliers are all located in the US of A.
Or if anyone knows an online parts supplier which ships for cheap
smily_headphones1.gif
Please let me know as well!
Thanks for all your help guys!

Thanks for the congrats, but yeah mouser is a good bet (they use relatively cheap shipping and everything seems to get where it's supposed to)

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Hey Guys!
If anyone lives in Toronto or Canada for that matter I found an AMAZING site which carries TONS of electronic parts!
They have a few locations and they also carry Weller ( presumably by cooper tools) Irons and the Soldering Stations!
The Prices are comparatively cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps some Canadians
http://www.sayal.com/index.asp

Btw, Thanks for all your suggestions guys! I truely appreciate it!
Gonna start on my first Cmoy on the 22nd (thats when high school exams are OVER!) Hurrah!

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by silvalis
What about Goot irons? Are they any good?

I'd recommend the TQ-95 soldering iron or TQ-77 soldering gun for Goot.. Good thermal thrust and yet without requiring a humongous tip that won't let you do fine work..
I've had a TQ-77 for the past decade or so.. I still prefer it to the Weller soldering station I own..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back