Soldering interconnects directly from DAC outputs..anyone tried this?
Dec 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sachu

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently I've been thinking of upgrading the cables throughout my system from upgrading the RCA interconnects to the power cords..

So was thinking of upgrading from my rat shack cables and also the RCA jacks on my DAC. To this, I was suggested to solder the interconnects directly to the DAC output by a few friends.

Was told this was better than any RCA jack upgrade..Wondering if any of you guys have tried this?
If so, any noticeable advantage?

If you have reservations against such a mod too please post them.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 25
The theory is that your cable isn't 'obstructed' by any jacks/plugs then. Sounds good but I seriously doubt you will hear a difference in sound. I would not do such a thing.
Also keep in mind that upgrading cables can get expensive very fast. Such money is often better spend elsewhere in your system. A new DAC or amp will help you get better sound quality for sure.

For the time being I recommend you get some used cables from the F/S forums here. Or build your own. I built some directional Mogami/Neutrik cables that do the trick.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 25
I feel like I have arrived at a point where i am very happy with my setup but would like to eke every last bit from it. Hence the reluctance thus far from investing in cables as I wanted the rest of the chain in place.

The idea was to use some mogami star quad or belden 89259 coax in Jon Risch design with Neutrik Profis on the amplifier end.

These I can have on hand for relatively cheap. I don't plan on cutting up expensive cables to do the same. Then again I would try the same cables in conventional mode too if I didn't solder them onto the outputs directly.

However, having the cables directly soldered does restrict my ability to roll cables when i am trying to find the best one to match my system.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 25
It would depend on your DAC chip.

Some DAC chips output mid-rail DC which needs a blocking cap.
Some DAC chips output current and need an I/V convertor afterwards.
Almost every delta sigma DAC chip datasheet I've seen need low pass filtering after the DAC chip.

So there is some good reasons not to attach the cable right to the chip. So you're moving down the line to attaching the cable to the board. So yes you could skip the RCA, but as you've said, how many time to you want to unsolder, possibly lifiting a pad, to try different cables?

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't think he plans on soldering to the chip, but instead to the output where the RCA hookup wire would be soldered/clipped in typically. I've thought about it on some DIY, but its just easier on the internal components to have something mounted well on the chassis that provides tension relief and a break point. You don't want the cable pulling on the internals I wouldn't think.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he plans on soldering to the chip, but instead to the output where the RCA hookup wire would be soldered/clipped in typically. I've thought about it on some DIY, but its just easier on the internal components to have something mounted well on the chassis that provides tension relief and a break point. You don't want the cable pulling on the internals I wouldn't think.

yes..that is what I was planning on doing..and the thought of strain relief becoming an issue is a huge concern.. Even a slight mishap where in one or both cables get tugged at hard enough i suppose i could end up damaging a whole lot more than a couple of solder points.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 25
You will be surprised how big a difference cables make.
There are still a few skeptics out there but it is a very cost effective upgrade if you buy wisely.
I was stunned at the difference my nordorst moonglo digital coax cable made, especially as i only paid $80 second hand for it! More bass, better separation, more volume over my stock cable.

Biggest cable improvement i noticed was with speaker cables, but changing power and interconnects give good results as well.

I will be interested in hearing how you get on with direct wiring to the circuit board as its often been something i have thought about doing.

Use several layers of heatshrink on the cable inside the chassis so it doesnt pull out.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cable tie, pulled tight to the cable so it doesn't slip, can also make a good strain relief (at least to ensure the cable isn't pulled out)

It would do..am sure i can make it more secure..I will definitely be giving this a go before deciding whether to leave it off or not.

Ordered a asylum power cord today as well for the DAC..would love to try out the jon risch belden interconnect recipe at the same time.

Was hoping to get some actual accounts of someone having tried this first hand. I have a coupleof people tell me that there WAS a noticeable difference.

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here we are..

Belden 89259 DIY RCA Interconnect Cables

Belden Interconnects by Mikey

Thanks. Looks alright although it really is nothing special. Just a regular coax cable. It will be a nice project and cheap to build. Go for it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nordost Odin, wrapped in 2 inches of anti-static paper. Otherwise you're just kidding yourself.

This is just plain thread crapping..now I myself am a huge cable skeptic but I have been proven wrong about it a few times. I don't want this turning into a thread of believers and non-believers..I am starting to believe in the 10% rule and thus would like to go about implementing that in my own system.

Quote:

Thanks. Looks alright although it really is nothing special. Just a regular coax cable. It will be a nice project and cheap to build. Go for it!

Aye..the way i figure it for 10$ for the cable and since i already have some pro-fi RCA plugs..no harm in giving it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back