Solder Kit Suggestion
Feb 20, 2008 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm considering doing some driver swapping... namely swapping out the KSC75 drivers with either an old pair of Sony MDR Sony cans or Bose Triport cans.

Would a decent solder kit from rat shack do or would there be a better option?

Also is there a preferred metal for soldering? Lead-free? Tin/Lead/Silver based?
Referral link: RadioShack.com

I do have some experience with a pretty high end gun type solder but I was hoping to find something more precise and smaller.

Thanks for the help!

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Haha nice sig.
tongue.gif
Thanks for the metal suggestion. Happen to have a good brand of soldering irons to suggest as well?

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Weller or Hakko are the most reccommended, but on the expensive side for just swapping drivers out. If that is all, the Rat Sahck equipment will do fine unless you have another local electronics store that may carry irons.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 7
I like the Radio Shack solder; never had any trouble with it.

I usually use regular 60/40 nothing else flows as well, and I think that a well-flowed, solid joint is superior to whatever metal or magic fairly dust put in the solder. I've tried them and have found them more difficult to work than regular 60/40. If you're going to make a few hundred joints in an amp, it pays to use what works every time.

If you're going to solder leads on a headphone driver, be sure to heatsink the drivers! I use little copper clips from the local electronics store, but you can use any metal clips or even a pair of pliers clamped on with a rubber band. But be sure to heatsink; you don't want to melt the voicecoil. Also, work on your technique a little before you solder. You can practice with bits of scrap wire. You will want to finish the job quickly so you keep as much heat off the wire.

Good soldering irons are made by Hakko, Weller and Metcal. I use a Hakko, but the other two are very good.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Wow, thanks Uncle!

I think I'll ride up to Home Depot and pickup a Weller iron they have for around $18. Also, I till stop by the rat shack and see if I can find anything to help pull some of the heat off the driver along with picking up some good thin metal.

Also is there any specific head? I'd imagine obviously the fine tip is best vs the blunt.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thanks Uncle!

I think I'll ride up to Home Depot and pickup a Weller iron they have for around $18. Also, I till stop by the rat shack and see if I can find anything to help pull some of the heat off the driver along with picking up some good thin metal.

Also is there any specific head? I'd imagine obviously the fine tip is best vs the blunt.

I have a couple of aluminum clip-on heatsinks from rat shack that I've had for a number of years. Not sure if they still sell them, but they would come in handy for this. I use them to hold solder wick, so I don't burn my pinkies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back