SOHA II Builders Thread
Aug 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,411 of 1,694

Quote:

Well, I just replaced all the both the BD139s and the BC550Cs on the left side of the board.

Good news: I'm now able to properly set the voltage across R10 on both sides and currently have it at 230mV.
Bad news: Relay doesn't click at all now. (Which weirds me out because it was clicking even when I had the BD139 backwards)
I swapped out the opamp because I had an extra TL081 around, but the change yielded no effect. The diodes also check out.

Should I raise the voltage on both to produce a higher idle current? Could the e12 transistors be the culprits? 
(replaced the e12 transistors and still no click)

Again, thanks for the help.

I should also note that I was was only able to get the correct voltage across R10L after changing out the BC550Cs, which I did after changing out the BD139s did not work. 

Please measure the voltages on all the pins of both channel opamps. Let's see what the amp thinks it's doing.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #1,413 of 1,694

Well....... I feel like there's something wrong with my build, but I really don't know what is it
frown.gif

It seems like it can't drive my HD650 correctly (not to mention my K1000). When I turn up the volume to not very high levels (a bit more than half the excursion of the potentiometer), the e12 trips off and on. Besides, even at low listening levels that don't cause the e12 to trip, sometimes the amp sounds somehow distorted.

Everything seems to be ok, except for the voltage drop across R10. With P2L and P2R fully opened, all I can get is 200mv on both sides. I've already changed both potentiometers and changed Q6 and Q7 (replaced BD139 with 2sc2238 with same results). I have also tried with different tubes.

I'm about to start a new one from zero, because I have the feeling that I've messed something and I don't know what
frown.gif

Any ideas will be very helpful.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #1,414 of 1,694

Quote:
Capernicus, are you still having the buzz?

[size=medium]
Runeight, yes I am, not sure what it is.

As I mentioned, the buzz is only in the left channel and doesn't follow the tubes if I switch them and it only lasts for the first 5 minutes or so immediately after power-up, then it goes away instantaneously.  Turning the volume knob doesn't do anything.

Other than that it works great!

Thanks for the help!
[/size]

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #1,417 of 1,694

Quote:

Well....... I feel like there's something wrong with my build, but I really don't know what is it
frown.gif

It seems like it can't drive my HD650 correctly (not to mention my K1000). When I turn up the volume to not very high levels (a bit more than half the excursion of the potentiometer), the e12 trips off and on. Besides, even at low listening levels that don't cause the e12 to trip, sometimes the amp sounds somehow distorted.

Everything seems to be ok, except for the voltage drop across R10. With P2L and P2R fully opened, all I can get is 200mv on both sides. I've already changed both potentiometers and changed Q6 and Q7 (replaced BD139 with 2sc2238 with same results). I have also tried with different tubes.

I'm about to start a new one from zero, because I have the feeling that I've messed something and I don't know what
frown.gif

Any ideas will be very helpful.

hi all, i have similar problem with my SOHA II. It was working fine for half of the year till yesterday when i turned it on, it wont play any music. When i adjust the volume, e12 will trip but no music was played.

swapped tubes but it didnt help anything. Checked my source DC offset, its 0mV. any idea where should i check next? 

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #1,419 of 1,694
did some quick measurements

at TB+ test point, the voltage is 19.5v with respect to ground

pin1 of HV+ measures 19.6v with respect to ground
pin2 of HV+ measures 16v with respect to groun

The left side of R10L measures 220mv right side measures 2mv

measurements for R10R is the same as R10L

from this, can i say that HV+ need to be replaced?

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #1,420 of 1,694
No, not yet. Break jumper J3 and measure TB+ again. If it measures over 100V then it is probably the regulator. If it still measures low then the voltage doubler in the PS is failing.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #1,422 of 1,694
Hmmm. Then something in the voltage doubler section is failing. First question is, have you changed your transformer wiring at all? Do you have the CT correct on the two windings? I know this is a ridiculous question now, but I have to ask. Can you please describe how the secondaries are wired to the power terminal block.

This will be hard to diagnose if the transformer is wired correctly.

Check all the caps and diodes in the doubler. This would be C8P through C12P and D7P through D12P. Make sure these are all in the right orientation for polarity. Diodes are cathode strip away from the board.

Did TB+ at one time actually measure correctly?

We'll figure this out eventually.
wink_face.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #1,423 of 1,694
the amp was working wonderfully for half a year till few days ago. 

i noticed that the transformer was humming when the amp was turned on. i dont remember that happening till recently

the secondary winding pairs, red black, yellow orange are wired as follows

red to 15
orange to 15
black and yellow are connected together to 0

the transformer output is giving 17v when its rated 15v, 1A. should i be concern with this?

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #1,424 of 1,694

Quote:

the transformer output is giving 17v when its rated 15v, 1A. should i be concern with this?

That should be normal.  

I would would check all the doubler caps for continuity across their poles,  electrolytics tend to fail if the amp is too hot inside they should test as an open circuit if not, it(they) will need replaced.  Did you follow the 50% open "rule" ?
Also if you have a diode test on your dmm you can check the rectifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back