So you think you have golden ears... HAH!
Feb 12, 2008 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

pageman99

500+ Head-Fier
I've mentioned in the past my girlfriend is blind. And I've told a few stories about how she can identify her surroundings just by snapping her fingers and listening to the echoes.

I've also threatened to get her to listen to my headphones and give me a bit of feedback as to their qualities.

She's been loath to do it, as her environment is mostly sound, augmented by touch and smell. But mostly sound. Headphones, simply put, cut her off from her real world, much as if we, the sighted, were dropped into an isolation chamber with no light or other sensory input whatsoever.

Anyhow, I finally got her to spend some time, however short with my headphone collection.

I expected to gather useful info so I could rank various qualities of the better headphones we see discussed on a regular basis here.

NEVER MIND... she lives in a different world than us. Period.

Kinda like comparing our golf game to Nicklaus', maybe worse...

Here's what happened tonight: She walked by as I was sitting in my chair with Arlo Guthrie's 'Coming Into Los Angeles' playing through WMA lossless into a Pico then into my E9's.

Honey, I said, listen to this.

She put on the headphones and listened with a blank expression. I prompted: What do you hear?

Innocent me expected something to the effect of, gee that sounds pretty good. What I got was: It's kinda loud. Duh, OK what else? Well the right channel is distorting. Huh!?, I didn't hear that?

She says, Wait a minute. Never mind, I meant the microphone..., no the mixer is distorting the right channnel. Me: Huh, what do you mean, how do you know it's the mixer and not the mic? Her: Well, I thought at first it was the mic, but then I heard the drums and bass through Arlo's mic, too. (this was a live cut). And half Arlo's voice is ok and half is screwy like the drums and bass.

My jaw dropped at this point and I weakly switched tracks to The Band's 'Night they Drove Old Dixie Down'. What do you hear now honey?: Her: Oh, I like that song. But why is Robbie Robertson singing in a different room than the rest of the band?

Me: Uh, never mind. (he must have taped his vocal at a different time and mixed it later).

Me: Uh, what do you think of the headphones? Her: Gee honey they sound nice, but I just hate having all that sound in my head with no walls to help it sound really good. It gives me the creeps. Now let me go wash your clothes.

Bottom line: We don't have a clue compared to someone who can REALLY HEAR.

And perhaps it's just as well.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 75
Yeah, and I was holding the clothes basket in my lap while she put the headphones on for those few minutes.

God knows what she would have heard if she really focused on the music.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 75
I guess all that spatial information means a hell of a lot more to her! Thanks for sharing this insight into how your girlfriend sees the world.

Now if only I could get my girlfriend to wash my clothes!

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've mentioned in the past my girlfriend is blind. And I've told a few stories about how she can identify her surroundings just by snapping her fingers and listening to the echoes.

man, that statement is inexplicably hard for me to process. that is nothing short of amazing!

eric b

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by e-dub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, that statement is inexplicably hard for me to process. that is nothing short of amazing!

eric b

Great phrase: Believe me, she herself is inexplicably hard to process. And she loves to wash clothes, and has a near fetish about vacuum cleaners.

How lucky was I to find this woman??? Never mind, she hates to cook!!!

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 75
She sounds amazing, as they say, as one sense faulters, others will increase in their sensitivity.

I find it amazing how she can understand her surroundings using sound, sight is something we take for granted, but it's truley amazing to see how those without certein senses can still make life the most
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great phrase: Believe me, she herself is inexplicably hard to process. And she loves to wash clothes, and has a near fetish about vacuum cleaners.

How lucky was I to find this woman??? Never mind, she hates to cook!!!

Haha, both me and gf don't like to cook; I guess it'll just be microwave dinners in our future!
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 75
How long has she been blind? It seems as though she's had enough time for the brain to reroute unused optical processing matter to augment her auditory processing.

I wonder if she'd like the K1000 more. Better 360° imaging, and open enough that she'd still be aware of her surroundings.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 75
Quote:

eric b

I don't find it amazing.. I would expect as much. People learn to adapt.. When they lose one sense others become stronger.. Like ppl that have no hands use their feet as hands. It is incredible how strong ones hearing can become when sight is lost.. His GF kind of reminds me of Dare Devil & has 'radar' sense.. Seeing through the vibrations.. I always wantd to know how the blind interpret music..

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psiga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long has she been blind? It seems as though she's had enough time for the brain to reroute unused optical processing matter to augment her auditory processing.

I wonder if she'd like the K1000 more. Better 360° imaging, and open enough that she'd still be aware of her surroundings.

She has/had retinal blastoma. A spontaneous genetic mutation. They popped her eyeballs out at six months of age. She still has memory of colors. Green being her favorite, though she can't tell me why.

I'd take her over to tkam's for a K1000 listen, but headphones really do give her the creeps. Understandably, yet sadly, so.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 75
pageman99: Thanks for sharing. I find it interesting that your girl friend is reluctant to listen to headphones. I now understand why, but I would have thought it to be rather therapeutic in a way; escaping almost all perceived reality through music. Maybe that's just the audiophile in me talking.

Quote:

eric b

Really? Idk, I'm pretty sure you could do it to at least some degree of accuracy if you tried. I don't think he meant to say she can echo locate a pencil on the floor by snapping her fingers per se, but simply get a rough idea of perhaps how far away the walls are and if there's a table, chair, etc. nearby. Close your eyes outside sometime and just listen to your surroundings. The wind is an excellent tool to use for this application.

003: Tact?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back