So you think you got wife factor problems?
Jan 19, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I think I like those Nautilus speakers, but these Avantgarde with bass horns are pretty cool. The bass horns are the tubes between the speakers.

2.jpg

So, where's the music system? Hidden somewhere?

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

The little black box behind the couch is a sumsung AM FM cd player.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

After paying for the speakers I imagine that's all they could afford

He!
biggrin.gif
How much are those things anyway?
confused.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

I edited the post so that it now includes some specs and the price of the whole set up. $53,970.
eek.gif

Dammit! I can buy a house in the suburbs for that money!

Jan 19, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

chadbang said...

dhwilkins, you say you like the nohr speakers. I just found out about them a few weeks ago - they are made right here in Thailand, but I'd never seen a pair! A nice sound? I'm making plans to go out and interview the manufacter form my newspaper (and see what I can snag a pair for non-shipped ) If you love them they must be pretty decent. Where and how do you use them. As a second set in a bedroom or something? Just curious HOW much you like them. Analgous to the sound of any headphone?

I use my 4.0s as the front and rear speakers of a home theater setup, so they're in use when I watch tv or movies. They have an open soundstage, not boxy like some speakers w/ traditional box shapes. Wide sweet spot, which is nice for group gatherings. I like how they're transparent/revealing enough that you can tell if you're listening to a sub-par source, but they're not so transparent/revealing that a sub-par source become unenjoyable. I don't do much pure music listening on them, mainly out of consideration for the neighbors.

As to the sound... in my HT setup (which you can see in my profile), they sound fun and detailed, which is exactly what I want from my HT. Good amount of quick punch from the mid-bass, vocals have warmth and presence while still being clearly defined, and horns are crisp and vibrant. They're not laid-back speakers (well, I've heard the wood versions might be, but not my ceramics or the marbles). Not particulary smooth, but not rough, either. They don't have any bass below around 60 Hz, but that's what a sub is for. I'd like to try them in other setups, so I can see how they fare w/ better equipment, since my HT is still at a basic level. They're good enough that I want to see what the more advanced Norhs (specifically the mini 9.0s) can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back