so which drivers should i use?
Nov 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

saujamhamm

Head-Fier
started with pioneer se-l40s / love the look of these cans, not so impressed with the sound - my buddy has grado 125s and i couldn't help but notice the driver was about the same size [~40mm]

so i carefully pulled apart the 40s and lined up the grado drivers, sure enough, they'd drop right in - a little epoxy here and there and you could literally mount the full plastic housing from the grado into the pioneers

granted i could also grab some magnum drivers from symphone... a little more pricey than say buying a used 80 or 125 set ...

any suggestions?   i'm going to do a full recable of course, running full 4 wire to a y split then 2 up to the cups of each can

vintage pio steam punk look and modern bright grado sound is what i'm after :)

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 3
WOW Those pioneer headphones look awesome - shame they don't make them like that any more. I have just recently been playing with a pair of grados so am no expert but they seem to rely quite a lot on the size and shape of the rear baffle thingy to get the sound right. You may have to do more than just swap the drivers to get the same sound but this looks like an awesome project. Can't wait to see the results :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back