So what's wrong with the MDR-V700DJ?
Jun 17, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
All in all, I'd say once again perfect for bassy electronica.

PS. Test track was 'Smack My Bitch Up' cranked up to just below distortion on the Grado. Interestingly the Grado lost more detail in the bass at this volume level! (Although this is to be expected)

But I really do need another closed DJ-style phone to compare. And besides, it's true that the thumping gets wearing sometimes. Hopefully should be able to pack in a visit to the shop later this week...

Holy Cow!!!

Screw the V6 with their excessive mid-bass (and - yes, there is some imo
wink.gif
) - my CD1700s sound totally cool with that Prodigy track, loads of SLAM, massive DEPTH (growling bass rather than smooth), and a sparkling treble
biggrin.gif

(Oh, my Prodigy loving days, how long ago they seem)

Of course the CD1700s are more like soup with lower specced equipment... but I think with my setup how it is now, that they really are something special...
biggrin.gif

okay, maybe i've taken away from the point of the thread... or maybe I haven't, I'm not sure - is it clarity, or amount of bass that V700 lovers like / want?!

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #32 of 44
Well, keep in mind we are talking about DJ phones. I doubt you want to take your CD1700s to a hot, humid, smoky room to be plugged into very hot devices, shaken around, tossed off your head, covered in filth, etc.

The V6s aren't the best headphones in the world, but their durability, good sound, side monitoring ability and low cost make them a good DJ headphone. Even ignoring price, I'd rather take my 7506/v6s instead of the V700s.

And as to the premium for appearance, I'd like to comment that with apples, you pay for the appearance, but along with that you get the build quality and subtle design features that you don't get on lower cost things. An ibook is expensive durable as all hell, intuitive to use, and very attractive. V700s are attractive, but more difficult to use (for me) and less durable.

And man, i don't even want to get into the comment that electronic music isn't really music. talk about snobbery!

peace,
phidauex

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 44
I have 3 major problems with Sony v700s:

1. The midrange is extremely murky. While mid-bass is an excellent indicator when beatmatching, you have to learn how to match all parts of the frequency spectrum.

2. They are uncomfortable as hell (to me, anyway). I personally prefer circumaural cans, but I'm sure there are rest-on-your-ear headphones that are a lot more comfortable than the v700s (maybe Senn HD25s or Technics RP-1210As).

3. There is a major design flaw in the swiveling hinges and they can crack after a year or 2 of (especially DJ) use. I think Sennheiser took this into account when they designed the HD 280s Pros with a wide headband.

jlo mein: Myself and other electronic music enthusiasts on this board could really care less if you don't consider "electronic-ish stuff" music. However, if your opinion is based on "noise" that you've heard on the radio or seen on music television, it's somewhat understandable. But perhaps you should just keep that opinion to yourself next time to avoid coming off like such a condescending pr1ck.

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
And like B&O or Apple, to a lesser extent you pay a premium for something that looks good.

Funny... I thought Apple users were paying a premium -- those times when they do these days, which isn't always -- for better case design, R&D for both hardware and software (whereas most companies have one or the other), better long-term quality, easier access to components, ease of use, etc.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, B&O can't say the same -- that's where you pay a premium for something that looks good but offers inferior performance and build quality. Some of those B&O "lifestyle" systems look/feel like they would break down if you gave them a dirty look
evil_smiley.gif
I place the V700 DJ in the same category -- "cool looks" for the image-conscious, but their sound quality is horrible.

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Unfortunately, B&O can't say the same -- that's where you pay a premium for something that looks good but offers inferior performance and build quality. Some of those B&O "lifestyle" systems look/feel like they would break down if you gave them a dirty look
evil_smiley.gif
I place the V700 DJ in the same category -- "cool looks" for the image-conscious, but their sound quality is horrible.

MACDEF,

My uncle is a very big B&O fanatic, so I'm around his "Lifestyle" system (Beosound 2500 or something like that) and the build quality is quite good; commendable, even. B&O DO actually have good quality control; they should considering how much their products cost! Despite the inherent fragile nature of the Beosound "Lifestyle" systems, due to the moving parts (such as the glass doors that expose the instrument panel after you wave a hand in front of it) they are not as horribly fragile as meets the eye; my uncle has has his Beosound system for many years, and it has endured the stress placed upon it by his little children . . . and it still works flawlessly. But it is not made for durability, it is made for the 'awe-factor' and style.

But about the performance, well, it seems to have decent clarity, suprisingly, though is lacking in most other areas. B&O products are, as one might expect, primarily for the wealthy who like to have stylish Danish equipment in their living room to match their contemporary furniture and such, though not to match their listening tastes. The $2500+ pricetag says that statement in itself, anyway.

Jun 18, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
Despite the inherent fragile nature of the Beosound "Lifestyle" systems, due to the moving parts (such as the glass doors that expose the instrument panel after you wave a hand in front of it) they are not as horribly fragile as meets the eye; my uncle has has his Beosound system for many years, and it has endured the stress placed upon it by his little children . . . and it still works flawlessly. But it is not made for durability, it is made for the 'awe-factor' and style.

That's basically what I meant -- I've seen many of those Beosound systems where the glass no longer opens/closes
wink.gif
If my experiences with poor build quality are just from a bad sample, then I take that part back. They still sound pretty crappy, though
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Funny... I thought Apple users were paying a premium -- those times when they do these days, which isn't always -- for better case design, R&D for both hardware and software (whereas most companies have one or the other), better long-term quality, easier access to components, ease of use, etc.
biggrin.gif

easier access to components? for what? so you can upgrade? hahah!

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
easier access to components? for what? so you can upgrade? hahah!

Actually, yes. Believe it or not, this isn't 1990... you can upgrade.

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
now everyone.. lets calm down ok...

Ommmmmm....

(Dons V700's for isolation and peace
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

biggrin.gif

HAHAHA...pretty funny, your paying for the name pal, live with it.

Jun 19, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
HAHAHA...pretty funny, your paying for the name pal, live with it.

10-year-old arguments that no longer hold water seem to be standard fair for Mac haters
wink.gif

But let's stay on topic... The V700 suck
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

The V700 suck
evil_smiley.gif

I'm gonna call the ENTIRE Sony DJ line of headphones the CRAP-DRV###DJ!
eek.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver

I'm gonna call the ENTIRE Sony DJ line of headphones the CRAP-DRV###DJ!
eek.gif

Funny you should metion the Sony dj headphones because I tried my v900s out for the first time in a few monts. The verdict....they blow. I am using the w100s now and have been for a few months now. So so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back