So I like the Edition XS more than the HE1000 Stealth edition. Am I crazy?
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Steve B.

New Head-Fier
So I had the Edition XS for about a year, and I love them. However, since the HE1000 Stealth has been dropped to $1,399, I figured I would upgrade and buy them. After about a 100 hour burn in - They are just not for me. After a short time my ears almost sizzle off as these are BRIGHT! They have a nice bass shelf, and the details come through clearer as compared to the XS, but I just prefer the Edition XS. Crazy since the XS are now $379 (I paid $450).

I also much prefer my Focal MG over the 1000's as well.

So since I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I am going to return the 1000's and pick up a Topping DX9.

Is there anyone else who prefer the XS over the 1000 Stealth (I hear the 1000SE are even BRIGHTER!)

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 13
No, you are not crazy, you just prefer a different sound, nothing wrong with that 👍
The HEKS is a bright-ish headphone, I also think it is a bit much sometimes, especially when I've just been listening to my HD650's.
I've been looking into tubes amps for the HEKS, to add a bit of warmth.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 13
So I had the Edition XS for about a year, and I love them. However, since the HE1000 Stealth has been dropped to $1,399, I figured I would upgrade and buy them. After about a 100 hour burn in - They are just not for me. After a short time my ears almost sizzle off as these are BRIGHT! They have a nice bass shelf, and the details come through clearer as compared to the XS, but I just prefer the Edition XS. Crazy since the XS are now $379 (I paid $450).

So since I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I am going to return the 1000's and pick up a Topping DX9.

Is there anyone else who prefer the XS over the 1000 Stealth (I hear the 1000SE are even BRIGHTER!)
You dont seems to like bright headphone which is the case of the HE 1000SE so it makes sense. Maybe your upgrade path should be the Arya instead.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 13
Tastes are tastes.

I like the HEK Stealth more - but its been with R2R DAC's. With a run of the mill DAC, I might not like it either. They have a peak at 6k that needs IMO a PEQ to solve, but I find the XS too be bright as well @ 11-13k and its far less detailed. If there are issues in ones chain, they are likely to be shown by the Stealh over the XS as well.

On a budget the XS ranks as IMO the least expensive planar I could be happy with - so I'm a fan.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 13
Forget price, the XS are really nice, the only Hifiman I like more are the Arya Stealth. Those have tuning I'd never equalize which I think is everyone's Holy Grail for headphones. Price doesn't mean anything anymore to me. I'm currently doing an IEM roundup with a bunch and the ZiiGaat NUO and 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 are so much fun that I wouldn't have believed how good they could be based on price. My daily driver is the HE5xx and there's an Ananda Stealth behind me unused because the HE5xx are so comfortable and well rounded.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 13

As you didn't mention what you are driving them with. Edition XS is easier to drive. The HE1K Stealth which is essentially HE1K V2 (in terms of amp req), not to be confused with HE1K Special Edition, is harder to drive. And when not driven well, it usually results in shouty/brightness tonality.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 13

Nope. You're not crazy. I personally like the HEX V2 more than the entire Arya and Ananda line. The HE1000 Stealth as well as the HE1000SE and Arya Organic are the brightest headphones that HiFiMan make so you're probably more comfortable with a warmer leaning planar.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 13
it is totally normal.
every ear is different
some folks even like their 50 dollar headphone better than their 1000+ headphone

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 13
At the reduced price, the Hifiman Arya Stealth is a great bargain, I’m guessing with the popularity of the Hifiman Edition XS as an introduction into the egg-shape Planar, Hifiman are continuing with a similar sound-profile.
But in the long run the Arya-Stealth will probably turn out to be Hifimans ‘Sennheisser HD600‘ of the Arya range, so not to be ignored with all the hype around the Arya Organic at the moment, they seem to be following the Focal idea of reducing the Clear OG for the Clear MG, with the Focal Clear OG being as popular as ever !

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 13
I'm about to go the same way so your post is very interesting, thanks. I'm guessing you're fairly young with your high frequencies still intact? I'm older and hear little over 10k so as long as the treble is well behaved, brighter suits me well. My only concern is that the HE1000 Stealth might be too detailed? I could imagine picking out individual instruments and sounds so clearly becoming distracting rather then listening to the music as a whole.

Also I compared FRs on a site somewhere and it looked as if the XS and HEKS were almost identical other than a variation around 10k (IIRC), was that your experience? Is the signature very similar? I'd be quite happy if it is as I love my XS.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm about to go the same way so your post is very interesting, thanks. I'm guessing you're fairly young with your high frequencies still intact? I'm older and hear little over 10k so as long as the treble is well behaved, brighter suits me well. My only concern is that the HE1000 Stealth might be too detailed? I could imagine picking out individual instruments and sounds so clearly becoming distracting rather then listening to the music as a whole.

Also I compared FRs on a site somewhere and it looked as if the XS and HEKS were almost identical other than a variation around 10k (IIRC), was that your experience? Is the signature very similar? I'd be quite happy if it is as I love my XS.
In my opinion in general all Hifiman hp have to some extent similar sound signature however XS is more V shape in comparison to rather U shape HEKS. Frankly speaking in terms of distracting details I found that situation more with XS maybe because of this more V shape sound. HEKS were more refined and mature.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 13
I got too excited and ordered a pair so hopefully I'll be able to hear for myself later this week. Several people have said that Hifiman have a distinct sound that's common to most of their headphones and I EQ to make up for hearing problems anyway so it'll be interesting to hear the differences. The HEKS will be my end-game, I can't afford to spend more, but if the reviews are to be believed I won't be disappointed.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 13
I read Steve B's top post just before ordering the HEKS to replace my XS so it has been in the back of my mind while I've been listening to them. For the first few days I left them playing a radio station when not wearing them so they now have over 100 hours on the clock and I am starting to get used to them.

The sound signature is certainly similar to the XS, at first listen I was afraid he might be right but as the burn-in has progressed the detail is coming out and they now sound quite different. I'm loving being able to hear so deeply and clearly into the music and occasionally being surprised by the sub-bass that the XS lacked but something just happened that made me understand his post.

In another area here someone asked how a hip-hop tune they posted the Soundcloud link for sounded through the amp I use as they are considering one - they have HEKS as well so I felt able to help. It's not my style of music but I listened to it and it sounded good, very clear, lots of bass, every note separate, but a little flat. I didn't want to tell them that so I reached for my XS, plugged them into the DAC, and listened again. This time the song came to life; that crystal clear bass became a warm, fuzzy mess that was exactly what the song needed, it had reverb and thickness rather than the pin-point clarity that the HEKS presented to me. The XS were more pleasing to just groove to.

I have experienced some of the brightness that he and a few reviewers referred to but, as I said above, I EQ anyway so that wasn't a problem and I am old (aww) so it helps.

The HEKS are amazing for classical, instrumental, vocal, pop, jazz, etc. but IMHO a bit too clean for dance and maybe rock music where you want the bass to be a bit dirty so if the OP is more into those styles, I could see his point. I was planning to sell the XS but this has made me think that perhaps I should keep them.

if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back