So I just ordered a pair of JH 16 Pro's.... now what?
Nov 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #16 of 35
Jimmyz, what we're trying to say is: maybe you should just wait for the JH16 to arrive, try it out with what you already have first, and then see if there's anything you want to improve upon before considering getting more gear? 
Right now it looks like you've got a severe case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome, man.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #17 of 35

Quote:
Jimmyz, what we're trying to say is: maybe you should just wait for the JH16 to arrive, try it out with what you already have first, and then see if there's anything you want to improve upon before considering getting more gear? 
Right now it looks like you've got a severe case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome, man.

Lol, I do. I buy an sell high end watches for a living, and I just sold a watch, which netted me some nice profit, so I decided to put 50% back into the business and spend the other 50% on things I want/need, and the JH 16s are one of the items I got. I think you are right though. I think I will enjoy all these add ons more if I buy them later, after I burned in my headphones, then if I get them all now. However, I am also considering buying the JH-3A, and due to the fact that its is only 600 more when purchased with headphones vs. 1099 more when purchased after I get the headphones, I need to decide now if that is something I want or not. Do you think i would notice a big difference or not? I would love to get them, but now I am getting into the 1800 dollar range for headphones (which is a lot), AND I would always have to lug around that decent sized box, which I don't know if I want to do. Decisions decisions... I just wish I could hear them with, and without the 3A.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 35
Ahhh, so there's a discount to be had by deciding now. Fair enough.
I think you'll have to look for the JH-3A threads to ask how significant the improvement is, both with/without the amp. I personally wouldn't go for it because I dislike the extra bulk on the go, and I don't have the time to appreciate that much nuance in my music while commuting.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 35

+2
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Lol Truly awesome....in it's greatest form.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
Ahhh, so there's a discount to be had by deciding now. Fair enough.
I think you'll have to look for the JH-3A threads to ask how significant the improvement is, both with/without the amp. I personally wouldn't go for it because I dislike the extra bulk on the go, and I don't have the time to appreciate that much nuance in my music while commuting.

Yeah... I will try and do some research tonight. I am also impatient, and don't want to wait until the end of the fall to get the JH-3A, plus with my iPhone as a source, I don't think there will be a huge difference in sound quality. There is a limit to how good something can sound when your source isn't all that great.

F4GZJM4QMWEKB

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 35
So after reading Sonic's thread with all the reviews, I decided to go for the 3A. I will be calling JH Audio tomorrow to make the changes. I just hope they ship soon!

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
I was just going to suggest something like a Sony Walkman. When I was looking at ipods, as everyone does first, I found the sound quality to be quite lacking and dull (this was two years ago though)

This was one of the old issues I was reading about around the time I bought my Sony: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/17/new-ipod-classic-has-badly-engineered-audio-circuitry/

That blows (especially since I purchased all my music through iTunes, I can only really use an Apple iPod or iPhone, unless I want to download all my music again elsewhere). Now that I am dropping 1800 bucks on headphones, I really need to find a good source.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
I just decided to upgrade, but I don't want to be limited to my iphone's deficiencies, which is why I asked these questions. Don't see why anyone would simply say "you could try listening to music."

Sorry about that, it just amused me that someone had spent about $1500 on earphones and there wasn't one word about music in your post. Eric_C pretty much nailed what I meant by it anyway. Enjoy them and happy listening with whatever you end up getting.

etysmile.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #25 of 35

Quote:

3+
beyersmile.png

Quote:
I was just going to suggest something like a Sony Walkman. When I was looking at ipods, as everyone does first, I found the sound quality to be quite lacking and dull (this was two years ago though)

This was one of the old issues I was reading about around the time I bought my Sony: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/17/new-ipod-classic-has-badly-engineered-audio-circuitry/

Sony Walkman, Cowon, Sansa clip. Placed from most expensive to cheapest, I would seriously suggest a Cowon S9, or J3. I get you, you want to upgrade your sound as much as you can. You purchased one of the highest priced customs around and you want to go higher. Sounds cool so check out the S9 or J3, thennnnn come back here.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 35

Quote:
Sorry about that, it just amused me that someone had spent about $1500 on earphones and there wasn't one word about music in your post. Eric_C pretty much nailed what I meant by it anyway. Enjoy them and happy listening with whatever you end up getting.

etysmile.gif

Thanks. I am just embarassed to say that I usually listen to hip-hop, lol.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:

Thanks. I am just embarassed to say that I usually listen to hip-hop, lol.

Don't be we all have are genre's, me personally I listen to everything except maybe grudge, metal, and country.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #28 of 35

Quote:
That blows (especially since I purchased all my music through iTunes, I can only really use an Apple iPod or iPhone, unless I want to download all my music again elsewhere). Now that I am dropping 1800 bucks on headphones, I really need to find a good source.

You don't wanna go for amp, DAC (if you ever think about carrying a Wadia on the go) and especially cable if you are still buying 128kbps music from iTunes. If you are buying Apple Lossless from them (I don't know if they are even selling that thing) it's a different story.

If Apple don't sell Apple Lossless you will wanna purchase some CDs first then rip them to Apple Lossless or at least high quality 320kbps. 128kbps music is the flaw in your rig in the first place and it will ruin whatever you add to the setup.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #29 of 35
I sent Apple an angry email indicating that I am boycotting Itunes until they provide a lossless option to us.  I haven't heard they are offering it yet, but I haven't exactly been checking in with them frequently.  I'd give my left nut for a nice portable DAP with a digi-out at this point... Until then, I will keep on using my Ipod... sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back