So I just bought a bunch new music, and am itching for a headphone upgrade...
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all! I haven't bought high end headphones in a long time, and I am itching for something better for my current specific needs.

First, what I have... my main hi fi source is a panasonic sl-ct470. If there is anything relatively easily gotten that is better than that, I'd be interested. I have an ollddddd version of the Headroom Total Airhead. I have some somewhat broken Sennheiser HD201's, some very broken Sennheiser HD565's, a new Sennheiser HD205, a new set of KSC-75 and a new (yay full lifetime no questions asked warranty!) KSC-35's. My "working great, high end" headphones are the Sony MDR-CD780 which is sooooo comfy, and the Beyerdynamic DT831's. I have noooo idea where my old Grado SR-60's, my Sennheiser PX-100's, or some of the low end Philips I picked up over the years are...

ANYWAY, My current big BIG listening obsession is anything done by Paul Hartnoll and Phil Hartnoll. Orbital, Long Range, Paul's solo work -- that *really* speaks to me. Basically, it is well mixed and produced, expansive, plays with your ears, with lots of weird sounds electronic music, often downtempo or downbeat, often (but not always) with prominent bass... sometimes with highs that are a bit harsh in the recording or samples.

So what I want is something *comfortable* (ie, more than my HD205's, which I didnt realize were DJ headphones before I bought them! How come no one SAYS they are DJ headphones?), something with more impacting bass than my DT831's, something with a more forward sound than what my hd565's give when they actually work, and isn't as hard to listen to because of painful highs on some recordings as the MDR-CD780's or DT831's, and preferably aren't above $200 (stretch range of budget is maybe $250), that obviously sounds better than my KSC-35's do when amped. I would like if they are decent unamped. Open is a plus.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 10
the HD 565's are the precursor to the HD 580's, which are the precursor to the HD 600's, which are the precusor to the HD 650's

and generally its considered that with each "change", they just refined the line a little bit here and there (for example between HD 580 and HD 600, they switched from a plastic composite, to carbon fibre for the housing)

whats wrong with the HD 565's?

as far as more upfront sound, the HD 595's are considered to be more "up front" contrasted to the HD 600, so I'd give those a listen (personally I prefer my HD 580's to the HD 595's, some feel the other way)

I only know Orbital from that list of music, but I'm going to assume your tastes are sorta similar to what I listen to (Bruce Haack, Orbital, Osborne, Carl Cox, The Prodigy, etc, and for some reason Bruce Haack called out to be #1 in that listing, need to dig Haackula out again....sigh, enough diversions though)

for those genres, I like my HD 580's for long listening sessions, have recently purchased Koss ESP/10's, and discovered my new K701's are DARLINGS for this kind of alternative/electronic music (if positioned right on your head, see troymadison's thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg-bumps-405293/)

of those, only the K701's are still in production and available new, and should cost between $200 and $250 depending on how frugal you are, they do require some hearty amplification though (my receiver can handle it, my SS hp amp is much more competent)

the other route is used HD 580's or used HD 600's, but if you don't like the Senn veil, thats an issue you'll likely still face with the 580 or 600

so, I'd try to audition the HD 595 (they're probably not hard to track down, and they're really hate or love, I know some who really do enjoy them, others don't)

if you can't stand the idea of the HD 565's sound, don't bother with the HD 580 or HD 600

consider the K701, no idea if you could track down a pair to audition, but they're available online for purchase quite easily (so you can buy and return/resell if you dislike them, in theory)

another phone you might consider is the Grado SR-225, I found it to be somewhat subpar with deeper bass mixes, but it did great with lighter mixes like Bruce Haack and Komprex, the only issue with Grado's is comfort for some users, thats also something you can work around if you like the sound

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 10
His HD565s broke.

Maybe a used SA5000? Or a DT990.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 10
well he's saying they go in and out of working, which may be as simple as the contact pins under the driver, just like the HD 580's have/had that issue

it may be repairable, in which case he could at least sell them for ~$100 (or better) and have more towards new 'phones

OR
he could try various mods on them (like recab, defoam, etc)

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Go into the light. It sounds like you are definitely in the mood for a sound signature change. Look no further. Denon is your answer. from the ever popular budget AHD2000's (modded or not) to the 5000's or the uber special 7000's you'll be amazed at the soundstage and spaciousness of these fine cans. I have the 5000's and I love them. So far they are my absolute favorites ( I didn't have enough scratch for the 7000's) and right now they are only availl for full retail.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 10
2nd the rec for the Denons, just about perfect for the music you listen to. D5000 is the best option if you want to stay stock and keep cost reasonable.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Yea, its definitely a connection problem with the HD565's If I hold them *just right* and dont move, they are fine. The wooden Denons are a bit too much money for me. Where are the mods for the less expensive ones? And would a closed headphone really work better over an open one for this? Where can I find used headphones, the sony's, new, are WAY too expensive! Are the 595's bright? I am not sure I want something as amp dependant as the 701's... my total airhead isnt one of the ones with a light on it, and I always forget to turn it off... not to mention it is soooo old. As far as other senns, I don't want the "so many rows back". Grado comfort is a BIG issue, as is extension.

I thought the 770 Pro's were the darlings of electronica, how come no one has recommended them?
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 10
the DT 770's and DT 880's do good with electronica, but so do the SA5000's, D2000 and D5000 (don't let people bully you into the Denon woodies, the D2000's don't need need to be modded to sound 99% as good as the D5000's)

as far as the HD 565 connection issue, google for the issue with the HD 580 and HD 600, iirc its an easy fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back