So, I got my Q701 today...
Aug 20, 2011 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
My very first "serious" headphone was the K701. I didn't really like it.
My current and most present headphone is the Q701. I absolutely love it.

Well, it kinda started out with the K601. One of the members here was kind enough to loan me his K601. Turns out, I actually really liked. And I mean, *really* liked it. Good enough to hit my Top 5, the K601 is just awesome to listen to. The soundstage is exceptionally nice, and I miss it from the good old days of me preferring it over any aspect of sound. But anyway, due to my renewed love of soundstage, and more particularly, these headphones, I wanted to venture back out into this AKG lineup. Q701 was the first and only stop. (Contemplated about the K701/K702 for a second, but ultimately wanted the Q701 due to the really cool "black" model as well as the possible chance that AKG did some unknown tweaking on the driver.)

So, I received them today. The black model to be specific.

First off, absolutely striking! I forgot how good some of AKG's headphones looked. But these were just amazingly good looking! Something about being nearly all black just looks really, really cool. Not to mention they are big and look nice and fancy. Putting them on my head (and playing games with them for about an hour) revealed the most shocking discovery yet. The bumps don't bother me anymore; well, at least not yet. In fact, up against the smooth headband of the K601, the comfort is about the same between the two (with the exception of the thicker and more fitting pads of the Q701). So that relief aside, I was eager to see how they sounded. Kinda put off by all the criticism they've been getting (K701/K702), I was a bit worried to say the least.

Driven by my new E9 amp, these are quite exceptional. The soundstage is incredibly wide and puts a new "ambiance" flavor on all music. Bass, midrange, and treble all come together really quite well, and nothing really sticks out or is obviously recessed. So far, I'm really enjoy vocals on these. The sound is actually quite full bodied and enveloping; more so than the K601. There is a nice weight to the sound, and everything had good space and involvement. And quite honestly, I don't recall enjoying a headphone this much for quite some time (with the exclusion of the K601). Briefly recapping on my Top 5, I honestly would say (at the moment, so to speak) these hit in my Top 3. Actually, besides the HE-500, I think these are my favorite, putting them at the #2 spot. Probably the most surprising twist I've taken or encountered on my headphone journey to be honest.

Oh, and on a random note, the Q701's packaging smells exactly the same as the MTPG's packaging. Interesting.

* Special thanks to tdockweiler for loaning me his K601 *

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 27
So you didn't like the K701s, but you did like the Q701s? I spy a typo...
I personally like my K702s very much. Glad to see you're enjoying yours.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
So you didn't like the K701s, but you did like the Q701s? I spy a typo...
I personally like my K702s very much. Glad to see you're enjoying yours.

Well, that was exactly one year ago, and also driven straight from my iAudio 7.
If I got them again today, I'm sure I'd like them as much as my Q701.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
Ah, I see. The K701s can sound pretty thin when underdriven.

Yeah, it definitely has a fuller and thicker sound when ran through my E9 compared just straight out of my P650. Haven't tried it through my iAudio 7 yet, but I can imagine it would be even thinner than through the P650. These definitely need an amp, and not just for volume. I definitely know what "underpowered" sounds like now...

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:

Yeah, it definitely has a fuller and thicker sound when ran through my E9 compared just straight out of my P650. Haven't tried it through my iAudio 7 yet, but I can imagine it would be even thinner than through the P650. These definitely need an amp, and not just for volume. I definitely know what "underpowered" sounds like now...

Q701 are the gem of my collection. Happy listening.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 27
A brand new K701 has a sharp like blade treble that could even cut your ears. However, a 1 and 1/2 year old K701 has a sweet sound.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 27
Hows the bass on the Q701? I started athread on whether to buy the Q701's or Sony's XB1000 and was warned off the AKG's as they have anemic bass but would be interested to hear your opinion...

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 27
Those black-and-white Q701s are one of my dream headphones. I'll be sure to pick one up as soon as I get over this whole "broke student" thing.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 27
I run an AKG K702 out of my Fiio E9 and it sounded meh the first few months, but after those months it sounds fantastic albeit the bass is a bit weaker than it should be. But now that I got my LCD-2s, the K702s have become hand-me downs for a sibling :frowning2: 

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
Hows the bass on the Q701? I started athread on whether to buy the Q701's or Sony's XB1000 and was warned off the AKG's as they have anemic bass but would be interested to hear your opinion...

Q701 and XB1000 are pretty dang far apart in terms of bass. I'd say the same for sound as well. But if you or anyone gets your fix from thumping bass, or put bass at the top of your priority list, then I'd advice against the Q701, and also the majority of headphones on the market. That said, the bass on the Q701 is perfectly nice for me. Not too little, and not too much. Extends nice and deep and has decent presence. But for any sort of bass connoisseur, these are a no go.

Quote:
Those black-and-white Q701s are one of my dream headphones. I'll be sure to pick one up as soon as I get over this whole "broke student" thing.

I will admit, the design of this series is fantastic! White would have been my second choice, but this black one is the best looking headphone I've ever laid eyes on. Erase my memory, put every headphone I've owned on a table in front of me, and tell me to pick the one that looks most expensive / best looking one. I'd grab the Q701. By the way, I've found the best looking picture of these can be found right on AKG's website. But the picture is absolutely no match for what you see in person. Spectacular!

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 27
I thought K701 and Q701 were the same thing, different colors? is there a big difference on sound? 

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:
I thought K701 and Q701 were the same thing, different colors? is there a big difference on sound? 

From HeadRoom:

"The AKG Q701 headphones are the culmination of Quincy Jones unprecedented input into the famed K701 musical presentation. Quincy's signature influence offers a smoother tone and great low-end response with magnificent detail and huge soundstage depth surpassing that of any mere 'studio' headphone."

"The Quincy Jones AKG Q701 headphones are very similar to the AKG K701 on which they are based with perhaps slightly more controlled highs right out of the box versus their famous counterparts. Quincy has also brought his own world-famous smooth-toned sound signature to the K701's top-end brightness which may be considered a good thing for reference listeners finding the laser-like detail resolution of the K701's uppermost highs overly strident or sibilant. Other than a more relaxed timbral dimension, expect the same incredible depth of soundstage and precise musical expressiveness in the Q701 with a tightly focused, non-bloated bottom-end response highly favored by critical audiophiles and demanding studio producers alike."

I actually didn't find that out until now. Sounds accurate.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 27
Thanks, thats good to know. I'll have to try both someday. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 27
Received my black Q701 two weeks ago and have been enjoying it immensely. Perhaps call it 'nps' (new phone syndrome) but I have found myself neglecting my RS 1i and HD650.  Comfortable, good looking, incredible soundstage, and particularly very pleasant for Jazz, vocals, and Acoustic.   Nice work on this one, AKG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back