So i bought some Porta-pro's...
Jan 14, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 23
Yeah, Walkman, get it straight and there aren't to many babies using walkmans, in fact I had a baby, well my wife did, and the sound scared the baby.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #17 of 23
wow not often you hear about someone upset at there being too much bass from their 'phones. Good for you, hope you find what your after

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 23
Hehe, the Porta-Pros.

There's a reason why they're liked and that is BASS. Also, they don't sound half bad for a cheapy headphone once you listen over the copious amounts of BASS.

Maybe you needed to read a few more reviews.

The headphones aren't bad, but they serve a certain niche purpose. You apparently don't fall within that niche.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they're annoying to wear for extended periods of time. The bass you get used to. The bass can also be EQed down. No,they aren't amazingly great headphones. There is nothing awe inspiring about them. They simply sound decent for a cheapy (don't do a lot of things wrong) and offer a copious bass response which is a hard thing to get from a lot of headphones. That's about it, other then the fact that they're cheap as dirt.

You just have to understand the context of their popularity.

If you don't like them, bring them back to the store or sell them in the For Sale section or something. Buy the PX100 or one of a hundred other options out there. Find something you can like.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #19 of 23
I don't agree. I think once a few cost nothing modifications are made they sound very good. The bass is decreased and by cutting a 2cm circle out of the middle of the foam, the mids and highs are improved. By flexing the headband, right above the drivers (the stainless section), you decrease the pressure on the ears and the bass is decreased. You can very easily tune them. I get very good out of head sound with a very good quality.

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 23
i gotta also chime in, i love my portapro's, my first pair of decent cans. Fair enough they are fairly bass heavy (my bassiest set of hp's). But compared to the other stuff i've listened to (the most high end being a pair of K701's) i still find that they're good cans and more than capable in the sq department, and taking into account the price you can get them at, that puts them in the awesome category for me.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #21 of 23
sorry i was having a whine it's just that i expected more from these from what i had read.

I did not mean to make any 'sweeping generalisations' tho' it occurred to me that maybe the 'reviews' i had read maybe came from people who had only listened thru stock phones previously....which the porta pros sound much better by a long way...!!

Also, i said that they are FOR the ipod generation, not FROM, i am well aware they are an 80's design, which i suppose is testament to them....maybe my ears are sihte!!

I will try some of the mods suggested, thanks, im not saying they are bad, just not what i expected.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #22 of 23
Are you sure you have eq off on your source? If so, then there must be something wrong. Porta Pro are able to stand it's ground even now and were considered as reference portable phones for many years, sold in quantities any other headphone can dream of. They are excellent phones and now cost one third of what they used to. Porta Pro are a legend reviewed hundreds of times by audio pro's with the highest marks for many many years...

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 23
you still havent said what you are using to drive them???? they are very source dependent. the bass can be a bit muddy and uncontrolled and the highs a bit metallic ( especially before burn-in and modding) if they are not amped properly. the mods help a lot too; specifically the headband, cable and driver mod. believe me its not people that havent heard any better that think they are great. I have some pretty nice gear and while these certainly arent the most refined can in my collection, they certainly are fun and out of my lisa III they sound like a lot more than $10 thats for sure; I have read of people feeding them out of $3000USD amps and dac1's all sorts. out of an ipod HP out they wont sound the greatest; even though they are only 60ohms the really do need good amping to shine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back