So here is my Dilemma (kinda stupid)
Jun 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

blur510

100+ Head-Fier
So I am new to the whole headphone scene, but as in everything I get into, I kinda go overboard.  I bought 2 headphone last week, D2000 and Grado HF-2. And amps for each one ( KICAS and MAD Ear+) When I was looking for a Headphone hanger I ran into the IKEA hack and decided to but some furniture legs to use as my HP hanger, Well they sell them in packs of 4's and I mounted all 4 on my wall. See where I'. going here? 4 hung HP holders and only 2 cans.  I am thinking of getting 2 more cans to completment my other 2 HP's. I am thinking I want and AKG K701/702 and Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohm. Or go cheaper and maybe just get a M50 and the fischer 003. what do you guys think? My wall is pretty bare right now. 

Looking back, I should have stayed away from head-fi. I was just looking to upgrade my UM2.  Sure if fun tho. Ohh yeah I am loosing sleep, since instead of sleeping I end up lurking the forum while listening to y Denon (HF-2 isn't here yet)

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Slow down a little.

The Grado and Denon will have quite different sound signatures, and you'll get a sense of what you like.  If you like the open, mid-focused sound of the Grados, that will lead you towards different things.  If you really like the Denons, we'll be able to make other recommendations.  Once you have a couple decent pairs, though, you can start narrowing down on the sound you will really love.

But that takes time and listening, which you'll take months to do if you are field testing four pairs at the same time.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Agreed slow down, if anything, don't come near Head-Fi until your HF-2s have arrived for at least 2 weeks, so you can compose your thoughts about your headphones, before deciding to upgrade and swap.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 7
LCD-2 and HD800 will give you an different visual range for your wall.  Retro steam punk and sci-fi silver to accentuate the character of your room.

Or you can save money by getting some nice pictures or wall hangings to put up while you get a feeling for the audio side of what you already have. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Agreed slow down, if anything, don't come near Head-Fi until your HF-2s have arrived for at least 2 weeks, so you can compose your thoughts about your headphones, before deciding to upgrade and swap.

Great idea 
redface.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 7

[size=medium]
Thanks for all the input, I will just take my time and enjoy the ones I have.  That way I can have a better idea of what I want in my headphone.  I guess it's just the excitement of the new hobby. 
[/size]

Quote:
LCD-2 and HD800 will give you an different visual range for your wall.  Retro steam punk and sci-fi silver to accentuate the character of your room.

Or you can save money by getting some nice pictures or wall hangings to put up while you get a feeling for the audio side of what you already have. 
wink_face.gif

Or I can get a bunch of Beats by Dr. Dre, nice looking, bad sounding, good wall decoration. (found a new use for the beats!!)

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 7
As a beginner I think that the most important thing you can do , as said above, is figure out what sound you like.  You've got a good start with the two you have as they are very different.  I think you need to get familiar with what you've got first and then buy another very different from you other two.  The K701/702 fits that requirement nicely.  It being fairly neutral and very detailed.

So check out different sounds and build your system around that preference.  But yes, take your time.  This gear isn't going anywhere.  There will always be some quality gear for sale.  Also start doing some reading here.  There's a lot of information here that can help you with all your purchases. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back