So here I am listening to some Philips HP1000s...
May 2, 2006 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got around to actually getting Philips' HP1500 Dolby Headphone system, and decided to put the HP1000 headphones through their paces now that I have a decent understanding of what headphone Hi Fi sounds like.

Given the price these things go for, I am completely stunned. Sure, they don't beat my HE60s or anything, but these sound way to good for their pricetag. They certainly don't offer 1/8th the performance of my W5000s, that's for sure. It's actually not too far off them. Bass is good, highs are clearly resolved and not siblaint, mids have emotion and detail. It's smoother than a babies bum, which is more than can be said for the SA5k and W5k.

Why don't these get more respect around here?
confused.gif

May 2, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 10
yeah, for full size cans (hp upper series) i think philips' product price/performance hard to beat. the only problems is their build quality, may be. hp890 performance near senn hd600, for only 1/8 price, once said.

May 2, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
It looks nice but no optical in? whats with that?

I was just commenting on the headphones, not the whole system.

May 2, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Why don't these get more respect around here?
confused.gif

I think that they only ship to a small amount of countries...

AFAIK they do not ship to the US, and I've never seen them (online or otherwise) in the UK... Seems to be more of a Far-East product (even though it is made in Belgium AFAIK)

May 2, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
I think that they only ship to a small amount of countries...

AFAIK they do not ship to the US, and I've never seen them (online or otherwise) in the UK... Seems to be more of a Far-East product (even though it is made in Belgium AFAIK)

They don't sell them in New Zealand, either. Still, even with shipping they are still a good deal.

With more listening I'm starting to get a sense for their sonic flavour. They aren't perfect, but hit well above their weight.

May 2, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 10
I agree, the Philips HP1000 are quite amazing considering their price. I even started an appreciation thread for them a while ago. Ironically though, I recently sold them to a buddy of mine and got me some Senn hd-650s instead. The Senns do work better in my system and I like them very much, but the HP1000s were better allrounders. They really worked with every music genre I threw at them, even hard rock/metal. I did, however, notice some sibilance with the Philips, but that could be my emu 0404's doings.

May 2, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean
but the HP1000s were better allrounders.

This has been my observation. They don't have any real specialty areas, and they don't noticably boost any parts of the frequency spectrum, they just do everything.

Quote:

I did, however, notice some sibilance with the Philips, but that could be my emu 0404's doings.

What part of the frequency range was it in? I'll search for it.

May 2, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
What part of the frequency range was it in? I'll search for it.

I don't know any specific frequencies, but it was mostly noticeable with female vocals.

May 2, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by myc
yeah, for full size cans (hp upper series) i think philips' product price/performance hard to beat. the only problems is their build quality, may be. hp890 performance near senn hd600, for only 1/8 price, once said.

IMO hp890 performance is maybe ksc-35 level and thats being generous. They have interesting bass, really impactful, and a nice soundstage, but the rest is pretty pathetic IMO.

The hp1000's most likely sound completely different... but I havent heard those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back