So has anyone tried the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage?
Oct 10, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GirgleMirt

500+ Head-Fier
Oct 11, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 13
It's a nice little unit, especially for the price. I use one at work and keep one in my laptop bag.

You'll find a fair number of comments on it if you search for TBAAM, as it's often abbreviated here.

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 13
I wonder, is there a difference between the TBAAM's optical out and the optical out of Chaintech AV710?

I always thought that since the adapter plugged into the headphone jack, that it wasn't "real" digital out...

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 13
Never tried it, but i've heard good things about it for its price. I doubt that you could go wrong, give it a try
icon10.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 13
Alright! So I just got it.

Unfortunately, looks like I've hit a brick wall, it won't work...

I'm trying to plug the AA to a Behringer DEQ2496 via optical. The problem is that the DEQ is set at 44.1kHz, while the AA is set at 48.1kHz, so they don't seem compatible together... Which kinda sucks...

Anybody else has that same issue?

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 13
On my DEQ2496 the input switches to the incoming data rate 44.1, 48, 96Khz but I am using the AES inputs.

What have you selected as the input in page 1 of the I/O menu?

Cheers

Thomas

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Hmm.. Good question, from what I remember (its unhooked for now), its Digital Optical In (same as the cdp), for which the sampling Rate seems to be stuck at 44.1kHz...

But it seems that you're right! The manual says: Quote:

The upper data wheel controls the sample rate (CLOCK) used by the device. When the digital input has been selected, the sample rate cannot be changed, because the DEQ2496 tracks the sample rate contained in teh input signal

(bold mine)
I think I read the bolded portion and assumed it was stuck at 44.1khz... But rereading, it should select 48.1kHz automatically... Maybe I need to have music playing when I try to set the digital input, because I remember resetting it, and it had no effect, but I probably didn't have any music playing...

Hmmm!! You have given me hope
biggrin.gif
I'll try it ASAP (which will be tomorrow..
tongue.gif
)

On the positive side, gave me a chance to try out the analogue out! No critical listening yet, but quickly it sounded pretty good. No interference like when using the integrated laptop soundcard, and it seemed pretty silent, also no skipping or anything. For the 25$ it can be had in the US its totally worth it for a laptop!

For the 60$cdn it cost me (only place I could find it in canada was tigerdirect.ca, 41$ +~10$ship + ~10$tax), if I can get optical going it'll be a very good deal, if not well still not that bad. I don't think I could have found another laptop soundcard for under 150$, so for the price I really don't think it can be beat!

Oh, and on the end of the manual:
Quote:

Digital Processing:
Converter 24-bit Delta/Sigma 64/128 oversampling (AKM)
Sample Rate 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz

So really, looks like it should work at 48!

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 13
I think I can give you even a bit more hope:) I just plugged an optical input from my computer into the DEQ2496 and it syncs to the input as expected. I tried 44.1, 48, and 96Khz and it switches just fine depending on the input signal.

However, I had to unplug the AES cable for this to work.

Cheers

Thomas

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Alright, so still no luck
frown.gif

I'm trying a different USB port for now, but now I've noticed that when I selected Digital In, when the cdp is plugged, it shows 44.1kHz, but when I unplug it and plug the laptop via AA, the 44kHz changes for "Unlocked", and no sound comes from it...

When I look at the digital cable, I see the red light and I've switched the cable to no effect... I'm starting to think there might be something wrong with my Audio Advantage USB card...

Could it have to do with teh Behringer software version? Its v1.4 (you can see it under 'utility')

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 13
yep, definitely, with the cdplayer it works perfectly, and it displays Sample Rate of 44.1kHz. When I unplug the cdplayer, the Sample Rate goes to undefined. When I plug the Audio Advantage, Sample Rate stays at undefined, and absolutely no sound.. When I replug cdp, Sample Rate goes back to 44.kHz, and sound comes back...

Oct 15, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Yesh, I guess you are right to suspect a problem with the AA at this point. The only other setting I can think of, is the protocol selector that switches between S/PDIF and AES but if that is set wrong your CD player would probably not work either.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back