SO frustrated
May 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
After 2 weeks of reading, reading, and more reading... I still have no idea which IEM's will sound most like a pair of Grado's. I have had my ER4s' for 5yrs now and want something a little more "current". I absolutely love my Grado collection, mostly my 225's on tubes. I would love an IEM that sounded like that WITHOUT an amp from an iPad2. (music is mostly rock, Alice in Chains, Metalica, Nirvana, Creed, Disturbed, Green Day...) If I must have an amp, thats ok... as long as I get this sound from something very portable.

Please help me! please... I'm losing my frigging mind. I thought I had escaped this forum years ago, but its happening all over again!

Budget $500

Thanks in advance

May 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Grado GR10.  Outstanding earbuds!

Thanks for the reply, I see you've owned nearly every IEM on the market! How would you say the W3 or W4 compare to the GR10? (or even the JH5)

I'm worried that I wont like the fit of the GR10...

May 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, I see you've owned nearly every IEM on the market! How would you say the W3 or W4 compare to the GR10? (or even the JH5)

I'm worried that I wont like the fit of the GR10...

W3 is still my favorite universal.  GR10 is #2.  GR10 fits fine as long as you are not very active and moving around since it is basically an earbud.  I would prefer GR10 over W4.  Bass is about the same but GR10 is brighter and much more transparent sounding but never harsh.  My ears find W4 overly smooth, soft and almost veiled sounding.  I prefer more crispness.

May 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Nothing if going to sound like Grado's, i have heard alot about the Westone 4's having lots of bass (similar to Grado's?)

W4 does not have a lot of bass.  It is very polite and on the lighter side relative to W3, UM3X and even W2, UM2.

I find the Grado GR10's to sound very much like Grados.

May 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 8
I overnighted a set of W3's (impatient... I know) They arrived here today around 11am... I REALLY like them, although I have to use the EQ to boost the high mids and treble and lower the bass a bit... I'm not normally a fan of using EQ but running these straight from my new MacBook and using the EQ is exactly the sound I was looking for. Thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back