So close, yet so far on pulling the trigger...
Nov 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

62ohm

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been aiming to get a pair of cans that would complement Q701's lack of warmth, and after about a month of research I came to the conclusion of 6 possible candidate. Can I get some suggestions of which one would be best for me? I would be pairing them with Magni/Modi, and possibly the Vali.

I listen mostly to Rock, Acoustic, Orchestral, and Rock. A bit of Neo-Classical, Classical, Country, and Jazz.

PS: It does not has to be a warm pair of cans, but it has to sound well with my genres. And I want an open back cans.

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 13
i would go for a hd650 with silverplatedcopper cable...
the can has got the warmth, the tighter bass n slamm from the spc cable. 

my 2nd choice would be a grado...if u are into rock n dun mind the foam on your ears. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 13
The HD600 would be better if you are used to the Q701 - with Cardas cables ... those are the original re-cables for headphones and are magical with the Senn HD600's.  The HD650 is too laid back if you are used to Q701's and under no circumstances should you try one of the Senns without the Cardas cables - otherwise, you'll have first-hand experience with THE VEIL.

Let me suggest an even better alternative and something very closely related in sound signature to the Q701 - only with deep, deep bass that punches hard: the Grado PS-500.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 13
  The HD600 would be better if you are used to the Q701 - with Cardas cables ... those are the original re-cables for headphones and are magical with the Senn HD600's.  The HD650 is too laid back if you are used to Q701's and under no circumstances should you try one of the Senns without the Cardas cables - otherwise, you'll have first-hand experience with THE VEIL.

Let me suggest an even better alternative and something very closely related in sound signature to the Q701 - only with deep, deep bass that punches hard: the Grado PS-500.

The PS500 is too expensive compared to my current candidates, what do you think of the RS2i?

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 13

The PS500 is too expensive compared to my current candidates, what do you think of the RS2i?

The PS500 can blow away the RS1, so NO - I don't think much of the RS2.  You have to pay to play, unfortunately.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 13
Anyone else care to give their comment? Kinda surprising how none seems to even glimpse at the HE-400 and/or SRH1440

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 13
Last bump, I guess..

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 13
I reckon the HD650s would be a good choice, as would the HD600. The HE-400 was a bit overly bright with the Schiit stack. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 13
Hello,

I second the Grado for rocks music but for all genre you listed above, I will go with the AKG K712Pro. I have a pair of K702/65th and I find it to sound great but they really do benefit from burn in; be it you believe in it or not.

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #11 of 13
For the genres that you list, I also agree that the Grado is your best bet.

I have never heard a Grado thru a Schiit stack, however.

I tried a HE-400 for a week, but for rock, classic rock, blues......the guitars just were not what I was looking for.  however keep in mind, your mileage may vary
smile_phones.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 13
  I reckon the HD650s would be a good choice, as would the HD600. The HE-400 was a bit overly bright with the Schiit stack. 

For the genres that you list, I also agree that the Grado is your best bet.

I have never heard a Grado thru a Schiit stack, however.

I tried a HE-400 for a week, but for rock, classic rock, blues......the guitars just were not what I was looking for.  however keep in mind, your mileage may vary
smile_phones.gif

Then I guess HE-400 is out of the list..

Right now it seems like it's either the senn or the grado.

Hello,

I second the Grado for rocks music but for all genre you listed above, I will go with the AKG K712Pro. I have a pair of K702/65th and I find it to sound great but they really do benefit from burn in; be it you believe in it or not.

Hope it helps!
Billson 
smily_headphones1.gif

Already have the Q701 mate, so I would like something that's a bit different from it's sound sig 
wink_face.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Then I guess HE-400 is out of the list..

Right now it seems like it's either the senn or the grado.

Already have the Q701 mate, so I would like something that's a bit different from it's sound sig :wink_face:  

You can sell the Q701 for K712 :wink: here's a graph: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4163&graphID[]=2931&scale=30

The K712 seem to satisfy majority of your need with it's warmer sig just saying though. I can tell the Q701 is a great headphone xD

I will strongly again, vote for Grado! Just stretch the headband a lil and the comfort issue should be fixed... Otherwise, for long listening section with the original clamping force, can really hurt your ears... That's what going on with my ears.. Still recovering from the pair after a week D: but it's a lot better now xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back