Snake Oil?
Oct 4, 2006 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aptivapeople

New Head-Fier
Oct 4, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 8
It's snake oil, plain and simple.

Nothing--let me say that again, nothing--can restore data discarded by a psychoacoustic compressor (a la MP3, AAC, OGG, et al). The best this thing can do is apply an eq filter to the outgoing audio stream to try to mask some of the more common artifacts. Do yourself a favor, spend the $$$ on a decent headphone amp instead, and use lossless files as your source.

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 8
lol, nice, thats what i thought. wow, creative just took a hit in my book.

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbyrd
It's snake oil, plain and simple.

Nothing--let me say that again, nothing--can restore data discarded by a psychoacoustic compressor (a la MP3, AAC, OGG, et al). The best this thing can do is apply an eq filter to the outgoing audio stream to try to mask some of the more common artifacts.

And that can be very useful. I mean you can correct jpeg-artifacts pretty well too eventhough the original data has been discarded.

The eq filter it applies is v-shaped so it won't mask anything. The best feature is the dynamic boost music gets. Louder sounds sound louder etc.

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Whenever I see a product that claim to restore mp3 to original cd content, I will go and search for the previous' years fields medalist prize winning thesis. If its got nothing to do with that application, then the product is simply crap.

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by headlikeahole
the graph isn't lying...it states that you get the most "X-Fi Experiance" with an X-Fi enabled card. how TERRIBLE or great that "X-Fi Experiance" is in no way mentioned in the graph.

My friend told me x-fi experience is in a reciprocal relationship with the quality of your sound gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back