Snail Tube Amp w/ DAC, another ebay Amp/Dac?
Nov 25, 2009 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheBigCW

100+ Head-Fier
Nov 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pretty shady return policy if you ask me.

I agree, but what has me intrigued is the item location. It's not in China, it's in the US...

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 12
Looks nice - unfortunate choice of tubes, though (IMO) - not many options for rolling.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 12
From what I've read, 6N15P / 6J6 / ECC91 are all the same tubes, and there is quite a few options under "6J6" or "ECC91".

Quote:

Sweet music will come out seconds after it has warmed up.

Some of the wording has me very suspect for a supposedly 'American' amp and company. It's better than most of the english I've seen on eBay, though...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 12
interesting that the choice of tubes supplied with the amp is by colour!

Nov 26, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, 6N15P / 6J6 / ECC91 are all the same tubes, and there is quite a few options under "6J6" or "ECC91".

Nope, not the same tube. Close enough, perhaps, depending on what the amp's circuit will allow, sure, but not the same.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, not the same tube. Close enough, perhaps, depending on what the amp's circuit will allow, sure, but not the same.

Oh, okay, sorry about that. I wasn't familiar with the tube and I Google searched it and that's what came up.

Interesting how it says it works as a speaker amp too.

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Seems like a pretty large amount of money for it. I haven't really become keen on the whole integrated DAC concept. I'd prefer to have a choice in DAC's and have it external.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #12 of 12
I happen to own this particular unit -it was given to my father as a gift. It's actually an DIY amp made in Korea. If you can read korean or use the google translator it's simpletube.com

I'm not entirely knowledgeable in the amp components so I can't be much of a help in that regard. But I had the chance to audition it with my HD555 and RE0. The sound sig is somewhat on the bright side so it should work okay with cans that has a warm sounding sig. It does not go well with analytic sounding cans that have extended/exaggerated high's.

I do get a lot of buzz/hum in my cans using the DAC (using the USB outlet out of a Lenovo X61) -enough that I stopped using it entirely. Using analog RCA to mini connected to my S9 the buzz/hum is almost gone but audible at low volumes. I have tried switching the tubes and it reduced some of the hum (also one being noticeably brighter than the other) which I suspect the particular unit may have defective tubes.

I don't particularly recommend this unit. Moreover there is a high chance that the power supply only supports 220v (which is standard in Korea).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back