Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #376 of 404
If someone actually needs a status, I award the user "jlejle"! 
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #377 of 404
  Too long since I did this so forgot things already...

I believe it simply means you need to use a PRIR to play back the pink noise. So first you must create a PRIR with the speakers you want to do manual EQ with. Which makes sense when you think about it - otherwise the pink noise doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers/room. We want to match the real and virtual sound output. After this you can use the HPEQ independently.

Yeah thinking about it, it absolutely makes sense with the speaker PRIR. Only this way it can create a neutral manual HPEQ for the headphones... that was the part I was thinking about. How could the HPEQ be neutral with using the speakers which are not 100% flat? But making a PRIR for the measurements speakers equalizes that part because the Realiser then knows through the PRIR "how" the speakers change the frequencies.

Great :) Thank you all helping me understanding the manual routine!

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #378 of 404
Greetings All!

Just uploaded a new KEF LS50 PRIR to Dropbox\Smyth Realiser PRIR\jazzfan\Home - KEF LS50 with JLAudio f113. The measured system consist of a pair of KEF LS50 mains augmented with an JL Audio Fathom f113 sub. For the moment, I've only generated a 2.0 measurement (with a virtual center channel). I'll create other multi-channel PRIRs as time permits. The LS50 is a wonderful speaker with much to like. However, I found it to be a bit lacking in "air" when compared to the Mini Maggie. In my room, the LS50 top end begins to gradually roll off starting at 5k and is down approximately -8 or -9 dB at 20k, whereas the high frequency response of my Mini Maggie is flatter and more extended all the way out to 20K. Of course, as with all things audio, YMMV.

I hope some of you have a chance to try the new PRIR. To those who do try it, I welcome you to come back and share your impressions (good or bad).

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #382 of 404
Hi guys and gals,

I apologize that I haven't read through the entire thread, YET.  I will.

My huge multi-piece system is in boxes in the garage since my relocation to a new state, Texas.

see it here - http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1317958032&view

It will eventually be setup, sampled, and then sold off.

Of course I will upload the files for all to use.

My new A8 should be on the way to me this week.

I would like some early recommendations, if you please.

I am using some King Sound H3 and M20 (Bugle Boy 12AX7's at input and Blue Circle BC-68 power cord).

I have a Son of Q Equi=tech arriving today, and a PurePower 1050 early next week.

I am currently using a W4S slightly modified DAC-2 with active, tube shielded interconnects.

This is more revealing of subtleties in many recordings (16/44.1 rips) than my big rig was.

When I sample my big rig, which images amazingly, and the A8 recreates that through my headphones, will I loose the additional inner detail I am now enjoying from my new electrostatic headphones?

Are there some files I can download and get started with until I get the big rig up and running and dialed in?

Thanks for any help.  
smily_headphones1.gif

New to headphones,
Bruce

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #383 of 404
First you need to make your own HPEQ.

Then you can do your other people's PRIR and make profiles that combine your own HPEQ with a PRIR that you download. Some of them will work Ok (others will not work at all) but they will never be as good a PRIR made with your own system.

And also you might want to make your speaker sample in the exact space where you will be listening to the headphones.
As weird as it may sound, the speaker illusion will be more convincing that way.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #384 of 404
PDAM

Thanks for the reply and directions.

I will make my HPEQ today.  

Once I have assemble and sampled my big rig the room it is in will be re-purposed back to a guest bedroom.  So listening in that location would put me sitting in the middle of the bed.

I have read in other posts how the visual can mess with the audio illusion.  I tend to listen with my eyes closed, later in the evening and often in the dark.  So I don't think that will be a problem for me.  Thanks for pointing it out though.

Bruce

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #386 of 404
I am sure I will get around to using the A8 with 5.1 and 7.1 eventually.  Right now I need to spend a week or so setting up and sampling the stereo big rig.

Once I have that dialed in I will turn to enjoying some video with sound.  Thanks for the input.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #387 of 404
I just got a unit. I will not be able to do any PRIR till next week. So I have been testing many of the PRIR here. It seems to be difficult to really get a consistent HPEQ. Every HPEQ seems to get me different results. The main issue seems to be my right ear. I tried many PRIR and the ones that seem to work well seem to have the right position slightly wider and higher. They still sound pretty good except when I do a speaker channel test which shows that the right speaker is slightly off.  I send some pictures of my ear insertion and Lorr says they look ok. I will test out a 2 channel PRIR tomorrow when I get everthing in place. But any suggestions or ideas on why this is happening is appreciated. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #388 of 404
  I just got a unit. I will not be able to do any PRIR till next week. So I have been testing many of the PRIR here. It seems to be difficult to really get a consistent HPEQ. Every HPEQ seems to get me different results. The main issue seems to be my right ear. I tried many PRIR and the ones that seem to work well seem to have the right position slightly wider and higher. They still sound pretty good except when I do a speaker channel test which shows that the right speaker is slightly off.  I send some pictures of my ear insertion and Lorr says they look ok. I will test out a 2 channel PRIR tomorrow when I get everthing in place. But any suggestions or ideas on why this is happening is appreciated. 

You are trying to "use somebody else's prescription glasses".  You will not get satisfactory results until you "get glasses with your own prescription, specifically measured for your own eyes".  Do not have false hopes.

Just wait and be patient until you have your own PRIR created next week.  Then you'll "see clearly".

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #389 of 404
I just got a Realizer and am just getting involved in this forum. 

I know your post asking about the PRIR drop box was a while ago. But, I didn't see any replies. Were you able to take this any further?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back