Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
Dec 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #316 of 404
Quote:
screenshot20121206at193.png

Does anyone have an opportunity to do a PRIR on these?

How did you get this picture of my living room? Haven't had a chance to measure it yet.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #318 of 404
I got to listen a while back on a lesser MBL system and it was by far the best sound I've ever heard.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #320 of 404
For those who have done PRIRs at AIX -- do you know if the subwoofer there is set up so it's already set at +10db relative to the other speakers?  I'm assuming the PS3 as a blu-ray player does NOT apply +10db to the LFE channel, as the manual states it's usually AVReceivers that do this, so if it did it would be increasing the LFE output by +10 db on top of the Receiver's own +10db.  I've just been going through the bass management portion of the manual in more detail and noticed this might be a consideration.  I suspect the subwoofer there is set at +10db since the manual mentions most mixing studios are in fact set up this way.  

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #321 of 404
Hello !

I did my first upload of my lastest and best PRIR at the dropbox sharing's folder.

- D-EDGE CLUB, SAO PAULO - BRASIL / 2.0
I just had the chance to do it once, the club was about to open, so was do it with hurry, people talking on the background, wasn't the best condition to do it, but it's a interest PRIR. (12 sec. sweep, 2x center, 2x L-R, post silence 1 sec.)

- LUA F1 / 5.0
Audio post production room.
Speakers: B&W DM602 S3. (12 sec. sweep, 2x center, 2x L-R, post silence 1 sec.)

- RAW STUDIO A / 5.0
Audio post production room.
Speakers: Genelec 1031A. (12 sec. sweep, 2x center, 2x L-R, post silence 1 sec.)

- RAW STUDIO B / 5.0

Audio post production room, i did several PRIR's in this room with all speakers available.
Speakers: Genelec 1031A. (12 sec. sweep, 2x center, 2x L-R, post silence 1 sec.), Genelec 8020B (12 sec. sweep, 2x center, 2x L-R, post silence 1 sec.), Mackie HR-824 (12 sec. sweep, 2x center, 2x L-R, post silence 1 sec.)

I hope you enjoy !

Philip

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #323 of 404
Now for something a bit different...

Just uploaded a PRIR taken of my 2.0 Mini Maggie Desktop Speaker System.  To my knowledge, this is the first "near-field" in-home speaker PRIR shared in this thread.  Because the Mini Maggie is designed to be used as desktop speaker, these measurements were taken "near-field", and as a result, much of what I hear with this PRIR is the ambiance and acoustics of the recording, and less of the room acoustics influencing the sound from these speakers.   If this PRIR works for you, you'll have a sense of the wonderful detail and soundstaging abilities of the Mini Maggie.

If you have this recording, try this at home...
Head-Fi and HDtracks presents Open Your Ears - Track 9 - Percussion Imaging Test

Equipment:

Magnepan Mini Maggie Desktop Speaker System w/Hsu Research STF-2 Subwoofer (the sub is required, IMO)

Benchmark Media DAC1 PRE

Yamaha MX-1000 Stereo Amp (Vintage)

Yamaha Q2031A Stereo 31-Band Graphic Equalizer (also required)

Speaker Placement:

Separation: 5 ft.

Distance from the mid-point between the speakers to the listening position:  3 ft.

Toe-in: 28%

Tweeter Position: Inside edge

Additional Notes: No special room acoustic treatments

I have a similar set up with a benchmark dac1, hsu sub and a Macintosh power vintage amp and I am loving it.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #324 of 404
Quote:
I have a similar set up with a benchmark dac1, hsu sub and a Macintosh power vintage amp and I am loving it.

That's great.  If you have access to a Realiser, I'd love to compare PRIRs of our systems.  Upload a PRIR of your system to the Dropbox folder when you have a chance.

(FYI... just finishing a write-up on the Mini Maggie.  I'll post it to the Mini Maggie product page when done.) 

Now back to your regularly scheduled Realiser programming.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #325 of 404
I stumbled onto some used Klein+Hummel O300's, so I just had to buy them. Wonderful speakers.. now if I just could get my basement acoustics to the same level. 
biggrin.gif
Need lots of bass traps..

Anyway, uploaded a PRIR in Hekeli/Home folder which I enjoy a lot right now. Going to hunt for good speaker locations later and make 7.0..

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #326 of 404
Quote:
I stumbled onto some used Klein+Hummel O300's, so I just had to buy them. Wonderful speakers.. now if I just could get my basement acoustics to the same level. 
biggrin.gif
Need lots of bass traps..

Anyway, uploaded a PRIR in Hekeli/Home folder which I enjoy a lot right now. Going to hunt for good speaker locations later and make 7.0..

Great speakers - planning on getting a set of the replacement Neumann model (pretty different, yet the same) when they are available. You'll want to probably use less traps than ideal (unless you listen at pretty low levels) though, the original O300 limiter kicks in pretty savagely when there's much bass content at any real level, so getting a bit of room boost can be useful.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #327 of 404
Quote:
Great speakers - planning on getting a set of the replacement Neumann model (pretty different, yet the same) when they are available. You'll want to probably use less traps than ideal (unless you listen at pretty low levels) though, the original O300 limiter kicks in pretty savagely when there's much bass content at any real level, so getting a bit of room boost can be useful.

Well, it's good for your hearing also.. I measured a comfortable 90dB at my listening position well before clipping. 
biggrin.gif
With rock/metal it's going to blow your ears. Fine enough to me with dubstep etc too. Just need to fix the bass decay a bit.

For really cranking it, I'm probably getting some SVS sub(s) later.. or build some currently very popular DIY 15" hifi pa-speakers here (15NMB420/NSD1095N/XT1086)..

Speakermodding? 
biggrin.gif
My O300's run quite warm when cranking it.. with some ultra silent coolers they are nice and cool.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #328 of 404
Hi philipbraunstein, hi community,

thanks for your posted PRIRs last December - I've taken time to give a listen to them.

- D-EDGE CLUB, SAO PAULO - BRASIL / 2.0: yes, a interest PRIR because of the room reflections and ambience, but there is to much background noise (I think it is a ground loop problem), the stereo width base is very small, like a mono PRIR.

- LUA F1 / 5.0: accurate PRIR, sounds good for me

- RAW STUDIO A / 5.0: all PRIRs are out of phase (no problem hearing them), but there is a location problem with head-tracking, like unnoticed movements in sweeping time, more probably is a wrong inear-mic position - right front channel shows ITD/EQ problem (raw a 1031), look at the frequency range between 10-20 kHz in C and R channel.

- RAW STUDIO B / 5.0: same as A, but only HR-824 has perfect location, works and sounds very good for me.

Once again thanks for sharing this time-consuming session!

SVS Simulation

Better S/N > 105 dB and frequency resolution (up to 24 kHz) of "spiked" PRIRs is found in a new dropbox folder:

HDMI_48kHz

44.1 kHz is still supported by sample rate convertion [x-01.wav], "How to": read note in the folder.

Enjoy!

Jürgen

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #329 of 404
Hello All,

As an experiment, I took near-field measurements of my B&W 804S main speakers to create an virtual 5.0 system.  I then added a measurement of my Velodyne DD18 sub to complete the 5.1 PRIR.  I sat opposite the speakers to form a 4 foot equilateral triangle so the speakers would be positioned at +/-30 degrees, then I reversed and moved my seating position to orient the speaker to about +/-110 degrees.

For me the measurements turned out well.  It's very close to the sound of the speakers at that particular location.  I hear much less of the room with this PRIR.  I'm now about enjoy this system in my small home office.  I'd be interested to hear how this PRIR works out for others.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #330 of 404
I agree, there is very little room involvement, it sounds like the near field measurement I did at Acoustic Zen. In your post I noticed you said the speakers were positioned at 30 degrees, yet when I hit the look button it shows 20 degrees. Was that intentional or did I miss something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back