SMSL Sanskrit 6 with Little Bear P5.1 Buffer Amp
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

keesue

100+ Head-Fier
Several years ago, I purchased a SMSL Sanskrit 6 to feed my pro audio rack. Sounded competent, musically satisying with no glaring faults, albeit just a touch sterile. Just lived with it. Was never intended to replace or compete with my main system.

I decided to order a tube buffer amp to mitigate the slight edge. Rolled the dice on the Little Bear tube buffer amp. Thought, what the heck. A new toy. The amp arrived and it made the sound a bit softer but not in the right direction. Bass was negatvely impacted and the imaging through headphones was vague. Immediately scored some NOS GE tubes. They immediately and completely transformed the sound. The transformation was so profound, I decided to run it through my main all-tube system driving Magneplanars to give it a listen. Incredible, depth, imaging and tone to die for. Through headphones it is nothing short of sublime.

Gave a listen to Frank Sinatra live at the Sands with Count Basie and was transported right there with them. This, in my opinion, is the true hallmark of something special. I’ve heard this before with just the SMSL and it was, again, competent, but nothing like this. Frankly, (pun intended), I wasn’t expecting this significant a change.

So knocked out - just had to share. Nothing like an amazing surprise. A thumbs up for the Little Bear...

Quickie update. I just connected the little Bravo V3 headphone amp to the chain with the Sennheiser 600s. The presence is really uncanny. Warm for days. Jazz singers sound like they should. Smokey cafe. I have good tubes in it as well. Makes all the difference. Headphone heaven. Now I have a viable alternative to the Stax.

As an aside, I also recently purchased a Jolida FoxSS-X and inserted it in my main system chain between preamp and blocs. The Stax are connected after the SSX to get the benefit of the bass enhancement and sound staging circuit. Completely transformed them. The Maggies have never been happier too. They both were always a bit thread-bear in the bass department but made up for it with mid range liquidity. Great device. Expensive but worth it. Two very different additions with regard to price but both equally satisfying in their contribution to the enjoyment of the music.

Both headphone experiences are now top notch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back