SMSL Products, Reviews and Impressions
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

headphonatic

500+ Head-Fier
From Shenzhen, China with love. I will be receiving one very soon, and since there were no threads on the AD1955 I decided to start one. If any of you have any comments or impressions, post them below. Hope this risky gambit pays off.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
From Shenzhen, China with love. I will be receiving one very soon, and since there were no threads on the AD1955 I decided to start one. If any of you have any comments or impressions, post them below. Hope this risky gambit pays off.

Maybe you can expand on the thread title, to cover more SMSL products.

My SMSL SD-1955 has about been used for a total of around 10 minutes, now the input switch does not work.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Interesting, didn't you recommend it to me?

I might have, I may have been between the time I received it (working fine) and the time it's input switch stopped working.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 7
SD-1955 impressions; so far it's been two hours, major improvements in clarity and dynamics, mainly dynamics, some addition in micro-detailing, a major improvement from the DAC Destroyer, overall much cleaner. Though clarity does come at a price, they sound somewhat thin, yet I'm kind of over it now, high quality sampling should make up for it. Overall very nice. Review coming up shortly.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 7
I guess a SMSL thread is is a little before its time, sorry for the wait for those who actually care. 
The SMSL SD-1955 kills for the price, at 100 dollars, and for the price it exceeds in clarity, detail, and delivers an overall clean presentation. But it's major trademark for me is the extra "air" and space it gives, treble extension is pretty good, nothing to brag about, but the slight boost at 14K (to my ears) gives it a crisp, airy presentation, 3D almost, if it wasn't for the op amp (more on that later). Again clear, beautiful presentation, obviously the hallmark of the AD-1955 DAC chip, yet the SD-1955 has a weakness, its op amp. I can't complain, it's 100 bucks, but the JRC5532DD op amp doesn't give the overall sound the warmness it lacks, so vocals sound slightly thin or even cold, I'm going to install an OPA627 soon. Still, the SD-1955 is the best for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back