SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #346 of 544
You think that this dac is good in a desktop setup with a dedicated headphone amp? Or is it better for portable and get something else for desk use?
It's incredibly good value for the money, you can easily use it as a desktop source with a dedicated headphone amp.
The only caveat is it that it was not meant to be used like a desktop dac. It doesn't have separate line out with a dedicated analog output circuitry but it is all-in-one dac SABRE9018Q2C.
You can read the dac's specs here: http://esstech.com.tw/PDF/SABRE9018Q2C PB v0.8 141210.pdf
A typical desktop dac has a dac chip and more or less sofisticated analog output circuitry, using either opamps or a discrete design. If you have a chance, than I would rather go for a grown up desktop solution and use iDEA for portable.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #347 of 544
IMG_20180207_110207.jpg

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #349 of 544
i am making some tests with high quality files now and is obvious that the sabaj is superior to the dragonfly, the bass is a lot more detailed, there is new layer of texture, mids are not warm but cleaner and more open, the treble is more airy and the sound is more effortless overall

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #352 of 544
You think that this dac is good in a desktop setup with a dedicated headphone amp? Or is it better for portable and get something else for desk use?

The Sabaj Da2 is excellent for a desktop. The Da3 is even better. The money you spend on a more expensive desktop dac can be used for something like the iFi iDefender to improve sound quality. The Idea/Da2 and especially the Da3 compete with any <$500 desktop dac I have heard, and I've heard a lot.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #353 of 544
The Sabaj Da2 is excellent for a desktop. The Da3 is even better. The money you spend on a more expensive desktop dac can be used for something like the iFi iDefender to improve sound quality. The Idea/Da2 and especially the Da3 compete with any <$500 desktop dac I have heard, and I've heard a lot.

Sounds good. I ended up ordering the Topping D10 though for connecting to my Arcam rHead on my desktop setup.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #354 of 544
I am a mere enthusiast with little knowledge and limited access to audio equipment. The only thing I can say is that the IQ gives me the closest and most "balanced" delivery of music to my ears I am expecting and have experienced in the last 20 years if that makes sense.
(I should add that I only use portable devices and iems)

Of course that's completely subjective and your expectations might differ to what else you have/had access to or your personal tastes.

My most "recent" equipment was mentioned in my post, so I can't help comparing with the one you cited :)
Can you confirm if it works with phones?

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #355 of 544
Can you confirm if it works with phones?
It works with my Xperia phone (usb-c / Oreo), cannot confirm with others ... but it supposed to be a portable DAC so it should work with most phones (I believe there are always few exceptions when it comes to android). Package came with 2 mini cables; micro-usb to micro-usb and micro-usb to usb-c. Can't say about iDevices.

Edit: there is an option in the settings to switch between usb1.1 and usb2.0 transmission, supposedly to increase compatibility with Android and Linux.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #356 of 544
It works with my Xperia phone (usb-c / Oreo), cannot confirm with others ... but it supposed to be a portable DAC so it should work with most phones (I believe there are always few exceptions when it comes to android). Package came with 2 mini cables; micro-usb to micro-usb and micro-usb to usb-c. Can't say about iDevices.

Edit: there is an option in the settings to switch between usb1.1 and usb2.0 transmission, supposedly to increase compatibility with Android and Linux.
So i bought it and i can only barely hear it at max everything on my phone. I have a Droid Turbo 2. This happens every time. Im getting a new phone soon, what phone works, do you know why your sony works, unfortunately I cant get a sony experia. ****. Im going to use it for my speakers for the time. But it was portable for a reason yknow?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #357 of 544
So i bought it and i can only barely hear it at max everything on my phone. I have a Droid Turbo 2. This happens every time. Im getting a new phone soon, what phone works, do you know why your sony works, unfortunately I cant get a sony experia. ****. Im going to use it for my speakers for the time. But it was portable for a reason yknow?

Hmmm... i set my volume between 7 and 10 (max is 25 or 30? I forgot) on the IQ. Did you check the volume on the phone itself? It is related if you don't use a specific app for USB audio output.
I'm using "Onkyo HF Player" app from Google Playstore - it should handle USB DAC better if you haven't tried that. ( they have a free version, or you can get a "USB Player Pro" demo from another dev)

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #358 of 544

(Click the above Image to view larger size)

The Sabaj DA3 is a really good sounding piece of equipment, in both desktop (as a standalone DAC feeding a more powerful amp) and portable (like above or with a laptop) settings. It doesn't have a ton of output power, even if you opt to use the 2.5mm balanced port but for low impedance, high sensitivity loads like the Massdrop Plus IEM I have pictured there, it's a satisfyingly powerful setup that sounds great. I've had the DA3 for a while and it's a great performer, no matter what I've thrown at it so I'm very pleased with it for the $96 or so I spent on Amazon.

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #359 of 544
Did Apple finally cut support to the third party cables?

I have the FiiO L19 cables which were working with my iDea and iPhone X just last month but after a string of new updates, doesn't appear to work anymore.

Will check with my iPad as well

However the camera kit cable does work with th iDea

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #360 of 544

Yes it seems like Moto does some weird things with their phones...I tried a Zorloo ZuperDAC-S (same ESS SABRE chipset) on an old moto G and it didn't work either...I read somewhere that someone was able to get it to work by putting a USB OTG cable between the phone and the DAC. You can try that if your phone has a Micro USB connection. I plan to give it a try when I get a chance just for kicks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back