Smoking in Pubs/Bars Yes or No?
Feb 26, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #46 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Mine and everyone else's lives get threatened. So there have to be limits.

You cleverly avoided two of my questions:

1: Do you drive a car?

2: If smoking in a pub offends you "WHY" do you go in to that particular pub? It's not compulsory over there to go into a smoke filled room is it?

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #47 of 192
Quote:

1: Do you drive a car?

Yes. What does that have to do with anything?
tongue.gif

Quote:

2: If smoking in a pub offends you "WHY" do you go in to that particular pub? It's not compulsory over there to go into a smoke filled room is it?

I don't think you get it. It's not about being "offended" (although it is gross to be around). It's about people's health pure and simple. I have a right to be in the pub same as anyone. The real question is, do you have a right to blow your smoke into my lungs. That's the issue.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #48 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd

Unless it's your job

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #49 of 192
Very convenient to single out people smoking cigarettes in public isn't it?

What about these people, I suppose they are perfectly acceptable and their fumes are not harming either the environment or the people around them? I wonder how many of you non smokers actually "smoke"? Oh, of course I forgot, it's OK if "you" blow smoke out of your cars! That, I suppose, is "perfectly" OK by you? And there was me thinking you all hated smoke so much... of course, carbon monoxide is ok isn't it?, perfectly OK for you "non smokers"......... You wouldn't think about voting to ban cars now would you? No, of course you wouldn't, why? Because "you" drive one so that's OK. Would you give up your car without a fight if someone complained about "your" exhaust fumes??

car%20exhaust.jpg

Think about it for a moment.

hypocrisy.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #50 of 192
Quote:

What about these people, I suppose they are perfectly acceptable and their fumes are not harming either the environment or the people around them? I wonder how many of you non smokers actually "smoke"? Oh, of course I forgot, it's OK if "you" blow smoke out of your cars! That, I suppose, is "perfectly" OK by you? And there was me thinking you all hated smoke so much... of course, carbon monoxide is ok isn't it, perfectly OK for you "non smokers".........

car%20exhaust.jpg

Yeah that's a problem too of course. But the point is that smoking has no benefits, and can only cause negative things to happen.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #51 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I have a right to be in the pub same as anyone. The real question is, do you have a right to blow your smoke into my lungs. That's the issue.

Actually, bars/pubs *are not* public places, they are private establishments. So why should the government be regulating what goes on there, rather than the owners?

I'm a democrat myself (well, lean in that direction), and I still don't agree that the government should be involved in this. The "logical" next step is to regulate what goes on in private homes, because children live there. What's to stop it from happening?

P.S. if this is too political, I'll take out the reference (or a mod can do it).

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #52 of 192
Quote:

What about these people, I suppose they are perfectly acceptable and their fumes are not harming either the environment or the people around them? I wonder how many of you non smokers actually "smoke"? Oh, of course I forgot, it's OK if "you" blow smoke out of your cars! That, I suppose, is "perfectly" OK by you? And there was me thinking you all hated smoke so much... of course, carbon monoxide is ok isn't it?, perfectly OK for you "non smokers"......... You wouldn't think about voting to ban cars now would you? No, of course you wouldn't, why? Because "you" drive one so that's OK. Would you give up your car without a fight if someone complained about "your" exhaust fumes??

car%20exhaust.jpg

hypocrisy.

ill complaing when those cars are in closed areas

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #53 of 192
Quote:

car%20exhaust.jpg

hypocrisy.

Weak argument Macho Man! Those fumes are not being directly blown into someone’s face in an enclosed room. Also, an automobile actually has a purpose unlike smoking.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #54 of 192
If you said yes, there's no way in hell that's "freedom." Sure, these are free countries, but that doesn't mean we're free to do whatever we want, such as hurting/killing people. What do you think second-hand smoke does?

I vote no. It /is/ a disgusting habit, but that's not why I voted no... I just tend to prefer not having various assortments of cancer.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #55 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Yeah that's a problem too of course. But the point is that smoking has no benefits, and can only cause negative things to happen.

To me it has a few benefits:

1: I enjoy smoking
2: I love the taste
3: I love the aroma
4: It keeps me slim
5: It's a great social "ice breaker"
6: I trust fellow smokers more than I do non smokers
7: It keeps me occupied
8: I think better when I'm smoking

I could go on and on, I ENJOY smoking.. yes, "enjoy" it.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #56 of 192
Quote:

car%20exhaust.jpg

hypocrisy.

Wow, pretty weak logic. Among other things, cars offer a substantial benefit, and not just to each person who's driving, but to society (i.e., the economy) in general. In any event, here in California, you rarely see a "smoking" car, due to strict enforcement of the smog laws. I guess here in California, we're against both types of smoke.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #57 of 192
I'm fine with people having their vices - so long as they don't affect others. Smoking in public places affects others quite obviously, thus I don't agree with it. Beyond the health aspects, it smells - a heck of a lot more than any properly functioning car. That nauseating smell sticks to everything. That and to people arguing about cars... cars aren't running in buildings. They are outside - where most don't mind if people smoke. Beyond that, cars are often a necessary evil whereas smoking is a vice that is not needed in any sense. To compare the two is absurd.

Edit: Quote:

Care to explain this? As it is now it makes as much sense as "I trust fellow whites more than non whites" (which I believe any non-racist would admit is an absurd statement)

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #58 of 192
Quote:

To me it has a few benefits:

1: I enjoy smoking
2: I love the taste
3: I love the aroma
4: It keeps me slim
5: It's a great social "ice breaker"
7: It keeps me occupied
8: I think better when I'm smoking

I could go on and on, I ENJOY smoking.. yes, "enjoy" it.

To me it has negative "benefits"
1. Cancer
2. Breathing Problems
3. Heart Problems
4. Very Anti-Social in today's world
5. I trust non smokers more than i trust smokers

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #59 of 192
If you want to me come out in support of pollution and the rape and pillaging of our environment, you'll be waiting a long time.
tongue.gif
As your mommy always taught you, "two wrongs don't make a right."
tongue.gif

It wouldn't matter if I drove or rode the bus, my exposure to pollution is the same. People have to get around, so vehicles are here to stay (as you well know). No one has to smoke though. And I've never seen anyone in a hospital dieing from autombile pollution either. If you are comparing breathing the air outside with sucking a cloud of smoke into your lungs, then I think you miss the point entirely.

There's no connection between the two. I also pass wind (methane), and that's contributing to global warming, but there's not much I can do about that either!
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #60 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Weak argument Macho Man!

Can we get one thing straight? I'm MEDALLION MAN "not" Macho man
icon10.gif

I model myself on this type of "real man"
icon10.gif

hairy_beach_dude_for_jesus.jpg

Sorry, I can't stop laughing at that pic
icon10.gif