SMART 2-channel from DVD-A's
Dec 6, 2009 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

wavoman

Headphoneus Supremus
OMG I am blown away! Anyone else discover this? "SMART" allows the creator of a multi-channel (like 5.1) mix on a DVD-A to specify how to optimally make a 2-channel stereo extraction.

DVD-A Explorer says this is done to save space, i.e., when there is not enought room on the disc for an outright 2-channel version.

Also, the DVD-A spec says the SMART bitstream will never be played if there is a 2-channel version.

HOWEVER I have been listening to extracted tracks from the Coors "in blue" DVD-A that has both a proper 2-channel (at 88.2) and SMART info in the 96 multichannel mix.

DVD-A Explorer docs note you can spot the SMART by looking for 2 streams in the multichannel mix, and sure enought, that's what shows.

Thinking "who cares"? 88.2 v 96, big deal. Think again! The SMART 2-channel extraction from the 96 file is totally different that the 2-channel mix on this DVD!!! The soundstage is unbelievable!! It's like the three sisters are right here with me (oh, I wish ... what a night that would be).

What other DVD-A's have this SMART info? This was asked at Hydrogenaudio last year (thank you, Google) but not answered.

Hydrogenaudio Forums > DVD-A Explorer Alpha 8

Anyone?

Check out:

http://patches.sonic.com/pdf/white-p..._dvd_audio.pdf

and the DVD-A Explorer documentation file that you should have after you download:

DVD-Audio Explorer User Manual.htm

We need to catalog the DVD-A's that have SMART.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back