Smallest Very High Quality DAP? (Maybe Kann Max?)
Jun 25, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #16 of 24
The 707 is slow as molasses, and much bigger than the Kann Max. The Hiby is much cheaper, probably not as good. And the M15s, all that much better than the original M15?
707 has the same Snapdragon CPU as every other fast DAP these days and it’s not slow at all.
You are mixing it up with the slow WM series and the older 507 series.

Also if you believe cheap is not good, just go buy an A & K lol ! They are the most expensive.

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 24
Yes, we have lots of very high end DAPs, ranging from SP3000, to Cayins, and I won't even mention the huge M17.

But for smaller, if one wants as good as one can get subject to size, what is the current best *small* (although ok if heavy) DAP?

I am thinking maybe the Kann Max? Anyone else have thoughts for other players?

Maybe an NPAudio modified A&K SP1000M ?

IMG-20230612-152404.jpg
IMG-20230615-224213.jpg

Currently I can build my own custom ROMs based on the latest firmware with no app installation restrictions and no need to decompile / recompile the framework etc. (SP1000M and SP2000 so far)

Combined with the NPAudio 4.4mm mod and Neutron or Hiby music players makes this a re-entry as a formidable small sized TOTL DAP

npaudio.boards.net/board/62/astell-kern-mods

Obviously most other Androd 6 compatible apps can be installed also.

I will look into building a ROM with Google Play Services to allow UAPP.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 24
Absolutely. However, as one goes up the price scale, there is a certain loose correlation between price and quality.

No one will compare the M0 Pro to an SP3000 and say that they are approximately the same. And I am sure that the Kann Max is better than the M0 Pro.
yea, because usually the bigger units usually have higher processing power and better chipsets

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 24
I guess you are not the only one looking for the sweet spot for DAP. I dislike DAP which is heavy and big in size. I read some of the recommendation here and i have owned some of them. Recently i got the opportunity to hold kann max from 2nd hand market and saw it in person. I tried it and hold it on my hand. IMO ( i have owned, sp2k, hiby rs6 , hiby r6 pro ii, some other hiby, hiby , all fiio DAP, some other DAP like sony zx707,etc) kann max is one in the sweet spot, such a pity the Kann Ultra was bigger around sp2k size. I really wish companies start making small portable DAP great if possible maybe someday they can make as small as hiby r3gen2 but with great sound like the kann max. I am still looking for DAP in Kann Max size but with more refined sound than Kann Max(wider deeper stage etc). For now i brought home the Kann Max and i am enjoying it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #22 of 24
I guess you are not the only one looking for the sweet spot for DAP. I dislike DAP which is heavy and big in size. I read some of the recommendation here and i have owned some of them. Recently i got the opportunity to hold kann max from 2nd hand market and saw it in person. I tried it and hold it on my hand. IMO ( i have owned, sp2k, hiby rs6 , hiby r6 pro ii, some other hiby, hiby , all fiio DAP, some other DAP like sony zx707,etc) kann max is one in the sweet spot, such a pity the Kann Ultra was bigger around sp2k size. I really wish companies start making small portable DAP great if possible maybe someday they can make as small as hiby r3 pro 2 but with great sound like the kann max. I am still looking for DAP in Kann Max size but with more refined sound than Kann Max(wider deeper stage etc). For now i brought home the Kann Max and i am enjoying it.
iBasso DX260 might be worth a try.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #23 of 24
iBasso DX260 might be worth a try.
Have you tried? How was the sound? I am looking for neutral warmish kind of sound. Kann max is a bit too dark IMO.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #24 of 24
I havent tried the DX260, but the DX240 with Amp8MK2 SE was fantastic. I now use the M15S but its quite a bit bigger. I also have the tiny Hiby R3-II which is palm-sized and sounds great with some MSEB adjustments (software tuning).

The Lotoo PAW 6000 is one of my favorite pocketable DAPs. I love how it sounds, its snappy UI and 3 second boot-up time. Only reason I dont use it anymore is because I want to have streaming capability with Roon Arc app. But i am itching to re-buy it or the LPTG everyday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back